Dialect/slang

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
Caron

Post by Caron »

book wrote: Sherbet was the white powder that we dipped liqueurish sticks in, the kayley was the multi coloured suger type stuff. I moved south years back and no one knew what Kali was but understood sherbet. I've often felt as though I'm on another planet re north/south lingo.I love this thread as I see many words I've long forgotten and no longer hear.Another word came to me that is used up north and not in the south when applied to work parties etc "fuddle". My family always referred to the works xmas get together as a "fuddle".    

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

Caron wrote: book wrote: Sherbet was the white powder that we dipped liqueurish sticks in, the kayley was the multi coloured suger type stuff. I moved south years back and no one knew what Kali was but understood sherbet. I've often felt as though I'm on another planet re north/south lingo.I love this thread as I see many words I've long forgotten and no longer hear.Another word came to me that is used up north and not in the south when applied to work parties etc "fuddle". My family always referred to the works xmas get together as a "fuddle".     "Fuddle" was a word my mother used a lot. In the the print trade we called a works-outing or party a "Wayzgoose". Like a lot of terms in printing I believe it has some kind of Church connection.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

Clotched is a word that came into my mind the other day. In Morley in means (meant) banned from somewhere - as in "'e's clotched from t'pictures"

book

Post by book »

Yes I remember clotched meaning banned from a pub or club. I also remember Gid or Giddit meaning give. Probably lends itself more to South Yorks dialect but I remember it being used in West Yorks
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Caron wrote: book wrote: Sherbet was the white powder..... kayley was the multi coloured... ........Another word came to me that is used up north and not in the south when applied to work parties etc "fuddle". My family always referred to the works xmas get together as a "fuddle".     Oh yes, fuddle.Not heard or used that for ages but, yes I do remember it's use in that context "works fuddle" etc.Oxford Eng gives it as: archaic : a drinking bout, origin late 16thC 'to go on a drinking bout'.Hence 'befuddled' I guess.

Phallica2000

Post by Phallica2000 »

drapesy wrote: "mine'st you" = mind you"ees" = his"mister"( or "that mister" )used by or to children for a man not known to the child."nobbling" = kidding, tricking someone"buffet" = stool or footstool"ginnel" = alleyway" feast" = fair I've definitely used ginnel (ones in Armley), buffet and feast (also in Armley, the infamous Armley feast up Armley Town Street.
Young 'uns that have no interest in the history of the place they grew up in....disgraceful.

Phallica2000

Post by Phallica2000 »

Somebody might have already said this one and it's quite specific to Armley but calling half a house brick a 'Half-Charlie'.Strangely a few people I know that grew up in Armley haven't heard of it but a few have. How about you guys?
Young 'uns that have no interest in the history of the place they grew up in....disgraceful.

Phallica2000

Post by Phallica2000 »

slw wrote: owt - anythingnowt - nothing Lol. I'm constantly getting jip from my girlfriend about my Armley accent and dialect...she's from Moortown and has a more posh sounding voice. Personally I love my Armley dialect.

Phallica2000

Post by Phallica2000 »

stevief wrote: I think the expression 'to laik'is more predominant in Bradford than Leeds.I've worked with blokes from all over Yorkshire and dialects can vary from one town to the next.The first time I came across 'laik'was visiting an old mate who'd married a Bradford lass.When I called(not ca'l'ed)his wife told me he'd gone to watch city laik and I thought it was a place! I've never heard of this one before, is it in any specific areas of Leeds, do you know?

Phallica2000

Post by Phallica2000 »

Si wrote: When I was a lad in Pudsey, "laik" was used all the time. "Is Paul laikin' out?" for example. I don't know if "calling" has anything to do with The Calls, as it is pronounced as in Tallin, with a short "ah" sound. Some others:'ey up - various meanings, from a greeting to "look out."Now then - a greeting.Summat - something.Give over - stop it.Daft 'a'peth - Silly person (daft half penny worth.)Snicket - a ginnel. Anyone know if these are interchangeable, or are there different definitions?Nesh - feels the cold.Fair thraiped - knackered.Jiggered - ditto (or broken/damaged.)Any more?Cheers Si I had a friend who used to call for me to play out when we were kids by saying "Is Lee dossin'?" to my parents when they answered the door to him.Ever heard that one before?