Dialect/slang

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
Derculees

Post by Derculees »

Johnny39 wrote: somme1916 wrote: Apologies if this has been mentioned in this thread previously,but there's a lot to trawl through !I just took the black bin out for (hopefully) emptying today and had a quick chat with an old lad down the street.I enquired how he was to which he simply replied "Champion"....I love the use of this word in that context. Hi Somme, another term of well-being which I remember from far off days and used occasionaly was, on enquiry as to how you were the answer would be "Reet gradely". Similarly, 'Fair to Middleton' was a response to the question
Touch not but the glove

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

Another rather insolent reply on being asked one's well-being was:Question: "Are you all right?"Answer: "No, only down one side!"Some people can get a bit umpty about this.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

Derculees

Post by Derculees »

'Doytin' was used a lot in Pudsey to describe an old 'gimmer', or old person, not fully aware of their surroundings.I couldn't 'thoil, ter side pots' couldn't be bothered to clear the table after a meal. 'Thoil' seemed to get upgraded to, I couldn't 'fashion' to,Maybe with the progress of the, then fashionable, 'teddy boy era'
Touch not but the glove

majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

Johnny39 wrote: somme1916 wrote: Apologies if this has been mentioned in this thread previously,but there's a lot to trawl through !I just took the black bin out for (hopefully) emptying today and had a quick chat with an old lad down the street.I enquired how he was to which he simply replied "Champion"....I love the use of this word in that context. Hi Somme, another term of well-being which I remember from far off days and used occasionaly was, on enquiry as to how you were the answer would be "Reet gradely". Gradely is more common the other side of the Pennines, but I have heard it used in Yorkshire. There's a Lancashire poem called "Tommy Stroo's Ghost" that inlcudes it.The first verse goes:T'moon were shinin'Rare 'n breet, 'n t'stars were twinklin' too,Arve nivver seen a grander neet in I were Tommy StrooAh pulled bed clothes up to mi nose when I sure 'eard sich a dinAn' summat bounced across mi toes,Arve neer felt gradely sin!    

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

chomic wrote: Years ago, when I first started work, when a machine broke down my boss would say 'All we need now is a big hammer and a picture of Lloyd George with a cloth on his head' ???? Just re-reading this thread and found this one hilarious. Where on earth did it come from?

BigSteveF

Post by BigSteveF »

My Grandma when nearing completion of any task she was undertaking at the time used to say, ( Na then we wain't be long cos t'old donkeys dead). Often wondered where this saying came from.
Leeds born n bred and DJ'd in several Pubs Clubs between 1977 and 1985. ie The Cherry Tree, great times and great people. (Now living in Somerset).

Phallica2000

Post by Phallica2000 »

Caron wrote: Jogon wrote: I allus thought 'Spanish' was a stronger version of liquorice. Grandpa was a user, and had a penknife for cutting the stuff. Hi Jogon. Like you, I thought Spanish was more the woody stuff and Liquorice was the softer black/brown stuff.My boyfriend often bought me a length of liquorice in the 60's, (they'd have a fancy finger ring knotted at the bottom), we got engaged every week....ahh, happy days!         When I think of 'Spanish' I think of the bright red long twisty sticks of it...
Young 'uns that have no interest in the history of the place they grew up in....disgraceful.

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

I was watching one of those Michael Portillo railway journeys the other week on TV and he was in Pontefract. He was visiting a liquorish grower, now retired, and the subject of the name liquorish/spanish came up. The former grower said that the reason it was sometimes called spanish was Spain was the plants country of origin. If this was already known I apologise.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Hullo east coast JohnnyHow's the weather? We had an icy snap 'smorning -3c here.Don't apologise, (dint know). I enjoy those railway journeys, he's right for the part, and good with folks - I especially enjoyed Woodlesford when he chatted with the Rhubarb producer lady.

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

Jogon wrote: Hullo east coast JohnnyHow's the weather? We had an icy snap 'smorning -3c here.Don't apologise, (dint know). I enjoy those railway journeys, he's right for the part, and good with folks - I especially enjoyed Woodlesford when he chatted with the Rhubarb producer lady. Hi Jogon - quick weather flash, frosty this morning then mainly sunny but a bitter wind.Yes, I find his train journeys very interesting and containing a lot of previously unknown, to me, interesting facts.Just a bit of trivia. Night before last I opened the door about 11.30 p.m. to let Bertie, our aged cat, in and was confronted by a fox. Although we are semi-rural it was the first time I'd seen one in the garden.I know you will be wanting to get off to your brand new state-of-the-art Trinity Centre to spend your pennies so I will leave it at that I worked in Trinity Street "when ah wor a lad".