Dialect/slang

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
MsJ2uk

Post by MsJ2uk »

, Funny how we seem to be quoting our Grandparents + parents. When we're just as bad. . . We had friends over from Ireland, they'd never heard of 'goin t'chippy for twice wi scraps, + a cake, wrapped'. . . My Grandad used to say 'pt wood int ole am frozzen' meaning 'close the door i am cold'.,     Post    
To the Skeptic, no proof is possible.To the Believer, no proof is necessary.

Croggy

Post by Croggy »

I use "laik" and I've lived in east Leeds all my life - but my dad was originally from Hunslet ..."Frame" as in frame yerself - put some effort in/do it

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

screeve-car...chava-friend or mate....peever-pub...nitto-stop it...ream-great...glater-window...gadger-man...rackie or bewer-woman...chavvies-kids...kex-trousers...                                                                                    
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

liits

Post by liits »

I'm not sure if this counts as dialect but it's "summat me Mam allus sed" when I was scrounging something or looking for more of something [sweets, generaly]"'ere, what the cobbler threw at his wife, the bloody last"!Being a bit thick, I 1. moved to London, 2. only recently found out the "the last" is the big iron / metal thing that a cobbler mends shoes on. Like the nuns and the wearing out of the soap joke, I never understood this at the time. Ahhhh! the things we discover late in life!

Ian R P

Post by Ian R P »

My Favourite Leeds words/terms (some not used since school) are Laike, Bray, Ginnel, Snicket, Chuddy, Goffer, Pagger, Gadger, Beef, Doylem, Nack, sup, snap and our kid.Can't think of any more for now coz it's late.I also like the phrases 'you've got lugs like chapel hat pegs' 'your neither use nor an ornament' 'your like tripe at fourpence' 'I'll stand the drop of york if that? happens' or 'it's as bent as a nine bob note'all of which have been levelled at me by me mam.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

MsJ2uk wrote: , Funny how we seem to be quoting our Grandparents + parents. When we're just as bad. . . We had friends over from Ireland, they'd never heard of 'goin t'chippy for twice wi scraps, + a cake, wrapped'. . . My Grandad used to say 'pt wood int ole am frozzen' meaning 'close the door i am cold'.,     Post     Yeah you try going any chippy outside of leeds and ask for once or twice and they say "once of what?"As for scraps well at least that term seems to extend to the east coast,so does breadcakes.( None of this Barm cake or bap bollox).Say breadcakes to someone even in Cas and they will look at you daft,but in Scarborough and Whitby they know their breadcakes and their scraps (not bits).Conscidering the distance between the east coast and Leeds,and Leeds and Cas then dont you think that this is most unusual.i love this thread!!
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

geoffb

Post by geoffb »

cnosni wrote: MsJ2uk wrote: , Funny how we seem to be quoting our Grandparents + parents. When we're just as bad. . . We had friends over from Ireland, they'd never heard of 'goin t'chippy for twice wi scraps, + a cake, wrapped'. . . My Grandad used to say 'pt wood int ole am frozzen' meaning 'close the door i am cold'.,     Post     Yeah you try going any chippy outside of leeds and ask for once or twice and they say "once of what?"As for scraps well at least that term seems to extend to the east coast,so does breadcakes.( None of this Barm cake or bap bollox).Say breadcakes to someone even in Cas and they will look at you daft,but in Scarborough and Whitby they know their breadcakes and their scraps (not bits).Conscidering the distance between the east coast and Leeds,and Leeds and Cas then dont you think that this is most unusual.i love this thread!! 25 miles awat in Oldham, its one of each twice wi scatchins= twice with scraps, or pudding and chips wi pea wet= Hollands steak pud chips and the juice from mushy peas. Dewsbury folk refer to breadcakes as tea cakes, in leeds tea cakes have currents in em.

magic

Post by magic »

In Leeds 9:ladgin: embarrassingmush, gadge: same as charver i.e mateburnin mi head out: stressing me out.peeve: pubblindo: drunkcrank, tool, mupet, flyer: stupid person.flappin: scared.lag, slash: to pee.a score: £20.bin lid: quid.twifter: cannabis.twirlers: keys.nit that: no to that.leanin, pressin: running.a gauge: a pint.claret: blood.A favourite of mine is for my local, Brown Hare on Harehills lane, which is known by some as the mucky pube!

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

magic wrote: In Leeds 9:ladgin: embarrassingmush, gadge: same as charver i.e mateburnin mi head out: stressing me out.peeve: pubblindo: drunkcrank, tool, mupet, flyer: stupid person.flappin: scared.lag, slash: to pee.a score: £20.bin lid: quid.twifter: cannabis.twirlers: keys.nit that: no to that.leanin, pressin: running.a gauge: a pint.claret: blood.A favourite of mine is for my local, Brown Hare on Harehills lane, which is known by some as the mucky pube!I think a lot of these are not peculiar to Leeds eg crank,muppet,tool,and some are definitely cockney,eg score,mush.Some of these though i havent heard so i assume they are new.Doylem has to be the definitive Leeds word for a stupid person.How about Waz for a pee
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

cnosni wrote: MsJ2uk wrote: , Funny how we seem to be quoting our Grandparents + parents. When we're just as bad. . . We had friends over from Ireland, they'd never heard of 'goin t'chippy for twice wi scraps, + a cake, wrapped'. . . My Grandad used to say 'pt wood int ole am frozzen' meaning 'close the door i am cold'.,     Post     Yeah you try going any chippy outside of leeds and ask for once or twice and they say "once of what?"As for scraps well at least that term seems to extend to the east coast,so does breadcakes.( None of this Barm cake or bap bollox).Say breadcakes to someone even in Cas and they will look at you daft,but in Scarborough and Whitby they know their breadcakes and their scraps (not bits).Conscidering the distance between the east coast and Leeds,and Leeds and Cas then dont you think that this is most unusual.i love this thread!!