Dialect/slang

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

stutterdog wrote: Si wrote: Very interesting, Steve. I noticed on the title page that it makes mention of "folk-lore of the district." I don't suppose anyone's read the whole thing and found a mention of the Crown and Fleece skulls, by any chance?It's dated MDCCCLXII - 1862 I believe. The pages are also dotted with proof-reader's hand written marks for some reason. It's amazing how our local dialect has changed in so short a time ,don't you think?On reading your link I found it very difficult to decypher. I once read a book that my mother recommended called The Crowthers of Bankdam.This was written in the 19th century I believe and in Yorkshire dialect of that time.A great read and I am surprised it was never made into a TV seriel.It was similar to the Forsite Saga but not as posh! I think it may have been screened in the early days of Yorkshire TV, late sixties, early seventies. Could be wrong. Just looked at Imdb I am wrong.
Industria Omnia Vincit

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Trojan wrote: Briggy wrote: Hi everyone. Just discovered this jewel of a site and love it!Dialect favourite word of all for which I think there is no standard English equivalent - 'to thoil' i.e. to be able to afford something, but not be able to justify the expense.Don't know if this has already been mentioned previously but the Yorkshire Dialect Society do a fantastic and very readable dictionary of Yorkshire Dialect for anyone who wants to read more about it.http://www.ydsociety.org.uk/id4.html I believe "thoil" is a Yorkshire version of the Scottish word "thole" which is can be defined here:http://www.scots-online.org/dictionary/index.htmThole is to thoil as 'ole is to 'oil. Hows this for a dialect poem taught to me by my dear Mother in 1950.Here we go! Thar Bob owes ar Bob a bob!And if thar Bob dunt giv ar Bob that bob that thar Bob owes ar Bob, Ar Bob'll give thar Bob a bob on't nose! Whew!
ex-Armley lad

Lilysmum

Post by Lilysmum »

stutterdog wrote: Si wrote: Very interesting, Steve. I noticed on the title page that it makes mention of "folk-lore of the district." I don't suppose anyone's read the whole thing and found a mention of the Crown and Fleece skulls, by any chance?It's dated MDCCCLXII - 1862 I believe. The pages are also dotted with proof-reader's hand written marks for some reason. It's amazing how our local dialect has changed in so short a time ,don't you think?On reading your link I found it very difficult to decypher. I once read a book that my mother recommended called The Crowthers of Bankdam.This was written in the 19th century I believe and in Yorkshire dialect of that time.A great read and I am surprised it was never made into a TV seriel.It was similar to the Forsite Saga but not as posh! I read through most of it and sadly no mention of any skulls.Anyone not familiar with yorkshire dialect would think it was written in a foreign language.As my grandad spoke very broad yorkshire I found it quite easy to read(mostly)if a bit tedious.

Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

stutterdog wrote: Trojan wrote: Briggy wrote: Hi everyone. Just discovered this jewel of a site and love it!Dialect favourite word of all for which I think there is no standard English equivalent - 'to thoil' i.e. to be able to afford something, but not be able to justify the expense.Don't know if this has already been mentioned previously but the Yorkshire Dialect Society do a fantastic and very readable dictionary of Yorkshire Dialect for anyone who wants to read more about it.http://www.ydsociety.org.uk/id4.html I believe "thoil" is a Yorkshire version of the Scottish word "thole" which is can be defined here:http://www.scots-online.org/dictionary/index.htmThole is to thoil as 'ole is to 'oil. Hows this for a dialect poem taught to me by my dear Mother in 1950.Here we go! Thar Bob owes ar Bob a bob!And if thar Bob dunt giv ar Bob that bob that thar Bob owes ar Bob, Ar Bob'll give thar Bob a bob on't nose! Whew! Hi S.D. I'm sure I did that 'Ar Bob' and 'Yar Bob' saying before!I've searched through all the postings on this thread tillme eyes are falling out but it may have been on another thread! Never mind it's worth a re-run! My dadsaid it to me whenI was about 5 yrs old, accompanied bya 'soft' bob on my nose!I read a library book a month or so back by Alan Titchmarsh,called 'Nobbut a Lad.' It's based around Ilkley but I knowmost of the dialect and sayings he quotes.Well worth a 'read' if you can tear yourself away fromSecret Leeds!

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

'Arry 'Awk wrote: I read a library book a month or so back by Alan Titchmarsh,called 'Nobbut a Lad.' It's based around Ilkley but I knowmost of the dialect and sayings he quotes.Well worth a 'read' if you can tear yourself away fromSecret Leeds! Was this in it?Nelly o' Bob'sJohn Hartley Who is it at lives i' that cot on the lea,Joy o' my heart an' leet o' my ee?Who is that lass at's so dear unto me?Nelly o' Bob's o' t' Crowtrees.Who is it goes trippin' ower dew-spangled grass,Singin' so sweetly? Shoo smiles as I pass,Bonniest, rosy-cheek'd, gay-hearted lass!Nelly o' Bob's o' t' Crowtrees.Who is it I see i' my dreams of a neet ?Who lovingly whispers words tender an' sweet,Till I wakken to find shoo's nowheer i' t' seet?Nelly o' Bob's o' t' Crowtrees.Who is it at leads me so lively a donce,Yet to tawk serious ne'er gies me a chonce,An' niver replied when I begged on her once?Nelly o' Bob's o' t' Crowtrees.Who is it at ivery chap's hankerin' to get,Yet tosses her heead an' flies off in a pet,As mich as to say, "Tha's not getten me yet"?Nelly o' Bob's o' t' Crowtrees.Who is it could mak life a long summer's day,Whose smile would drive sorrow an' trouble away,An' mak t' hardest wark, if for her, seem like play?Nelly o' Bob's o' t' Crowtrees.Who is it I'll have if I've iver a wife,An' love her, her only, to th' end o' my life,An' nurse her i' sickness, an' guard her from strife?Nelly o' Bob's o' t' Crowtrees.Who is it at's promised, to-neet if it's fine,To meet me at t' corner o' t' mistal at nine?Why, it's her at I've langed for so long to mak mine-Nelly o' Bob's o' t' Crowtrees.As I mentioned on another thread, John Hartley used to publish an annual "Clock Almanac" with poems like the above, stories and jokes in dialect. e.g.Wife to husband: "if god'd meant thee to smoke 'e d a putten a chimley i' thi ed"Husband to wife: "aye, an' if 'ed a meant thee ter nag me, 'ed a made me deaf"    
Industria Omnia Vincit

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

Ah, John Hartley of Halifax, the famous dialect poet! Thanks for taking the trouble to post all that - I hadn't seen it before. From the heart - a far cry from "Yorkshire Pudden", the humorous monologue. We'll be going full circle back to Marriott Edgar at this rate (see 'Lost Jobs' thread)
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Uno Hoo wrote: Ah, John Hartley of Halifax, the famous dialect poet! Thanks for taking the trouble to post all that - I hadn't seen it before. From the heart - a far cry from "Yorkshire Pudden", the humorous monologue. We'll be going full circle back to Marriott Edgar at this rate (see 'Lost Jobs' thread) There's another one I've got on a Topic Record called "The Multitude who Labour"Oh good neet friends one an' allI just thowt ad give a callFor I love ter see a crowd of 'appy facesAn' since last time 'ere av binMony strange things av a sin For a shuv mi nooers into all soarts o' placesThere's a chorus which ends with "I'm a member of the multitude who labour"But I can't recall the rest.
Industria Omnia Vincit

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

'Arry 'Awk wrote: stutterdog wrote: Trojan wrote: Briggy wrote: Hi everyone. Just discovered this jewel of a site and love it!Dialect favourite word of all for which I think there is no standard English equivalent - 'to thoil' i.e. to be able to afford something, but not be able to justify the expense.Don't know if this has already been mentioned previously but the Yorkshire Dialect Society do a fantastic and very readable dictionary of Yorkshire Dialect for anyone who wants to read more about it.http://www.ydsociety.org.uk/id4.html I believe "thoil" is a Yorkshire version of the Scottish word "thole" which is can be defined here:http://www.scots-online.org/dictionary/index.htmThole is to thoil as 'ole is to 'oil. Hows this for a dialect poem taught to me by my dear Mother in 1950.Here we go! Thar Bob owes ar Bob a bob!And if thar Bob dunt giv ar Bob that bob that thar Bob owes ar Bob, Ar Bob'll give thar Bob a bob on't nose! Whew! Hi ther 'arry! I wonder if you were brought up in Burmantofts re the 'ar bob thar bob poem. My mum was. But I was an Armley lad and no friends when I was young had heard of it! St.dogHi S.D. I'm sure I did that 'Ar Bob' and 'Yar Bob' saying before!I've searched through all the postings on this thread tillme eyes are falling out but it may have been on another thread! Never mind it's worth a re-run! My dadsaid it to me whenI was about 5 yrs old, accompanied bya 'soft' bob on my nose!I read a library book a month or so back by Alan Titchmarsh,called 'Nobbut a Lad.' It's based around Ilkley but I knowmost of the dialect and sayings he quotes.Well worth a 'read' if you can tear yourself away fromSecret Leeds!
ex-Armley lad

Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

stutterdog wrote: 'Arry 'Awk wrote: stutterdog wrote: Trojan wrote: Briggy wrote: Hi everyone. Just discovered this jewel of a site and love it!Dialect favourite word of all for which I think there is no standard English equivalent - 'to thoil' i.e. to be able to afford something, but not be able to justify the expense.Don't know if this has already been mentioned previously but the Yorkshire Dialect Society do a fantastic and very readable dictionary of Yorkshire Dialect for anyone who wants to read more about it.http://www.ydsociety.org.uk/id4.html I believe "thoil" is a Yorkshire version of the Scottish word "thole" which is can be defined here:http://www.scots-online.org/dictionary/index.htmThole is to thoil as 'ole is to 'oil. Hows this for a dialect poem taught to me by my dear Mother in 1950.Here we go! Thar Bob owes ar Bob a bob!And if thar Bob dunt giv ar Bob that bob that thar Bob owes ar Bob, Ar Bob'll give thar Bob a bob on't nose! Whew! Hi ther 'arry! I wonder if you were brought up in Burmantofts re the 'ar bob thar bob poem. My mum was. But I was an Armley lad and no friends when I was young had heard of it! St.dogHi S.D. I'm sure I did that 'Ar Bob' and 'Yar Bob' saying before!I've searched through all the postings on this thread tillme eyes are falling out but it may have been on another thread! Never mind it's worth a re-run! My dadsaid it to me whenI was about 5 yrs old, accompanied bya 'soft' bob on my nose!I read a library book a month or so back by Alan Titchmarsh,called 'Nobbut a Lad.' It's based around Ilkley but I knowmost of the dialect and sayings he quotes.Well worth a 'read' if you can tear yourself away fromSecret Leeds! Sorry S.D All I saw of Burmantofts was from the tramgoing from Kirkstall Rd up tp Roundhay (Roundy!) Park!Born in St Mary's Maternity Hospital and we livedin Devonshire St. Armley Rd 1930! Opposite the White Horsepub.Didn't see that quotation in Alan Titchmarsh's bookCan't quote anything now as it was a library bookand it went back in August!

Si

Post by Si »

I can't rememnber if this one has already been posted, but I've just come across it in a comment on Leodis:"Messages." Basic day-to-day shopping - bread, milk, eggs, butter, etc.Anyone know it?