Dialect/slang

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

[quotenick="stutterdog"] 'Arry 'Awk wrote: stutterdog wrote: 'Arry 'Awk wrote: stutterdog wrote: 'Arry 'Awk wrote: stutterdog wrote: Trojan wrote: Briggy wrote: Hi everyone. Just discovered this jewel of a site and love it!Dialect favourite word of all for which I think there is no standard English equivalent - 'to thoil' i.e. to be able to afford something, but not be able to justify the expense.Don't know if this has already been mentioned previously but the Yorkshire Dialect Society do a fantastic and very readable dictionary of Yorkshire Dialect for anyone who wants to read more about it.http://www.ydsociety.org.uk/id4.html I believe "thoil" is a Yorkshire version of the Scottish word "thole" which is can be defined here:http://www.scots-online.org/dictionary/index.htmThole is to thoil as 'ole is to 'oil. Hows this for a dialect poem taught to me by my dear Mother in 1950.Here we go! Thar Bob owes ar Bob a bob!And if thar Bob dunt giv ar Bob that bob that thar Bob owes ar Bob, Ar Bob'll give thar Bob a bob on't nose! Whew! Hi ther 'arry! I wonder if you were brought up in Burmantofts re the 'ar bob thar bob poem. My mum was. But I was an Armley lad and no friends when I was young had heard of it! St.dogHi S.D. I'm sure I did that 'Ar Bob' and 'Yar Bob' saying before!I've searched through all the postings on this thread tillme eyes are falling out but it may have been on another thread! Never mind it's worth a re-run! My dadsaid it to me whenI was about 5 yrs old, accompanied bya 'soft' bob on my nose!I read a library book a month or so back by Alan Titchmarsh,called 'Nobbut a Lad.' It's based around Ilkley but I knowmost of the dialect and sayings he quotes.Well worth a 'read' if you can tear yourself away fromSecret Leeds! Sorry S.D All I saw of Burmantofts was from the tramgoing from Kirkstall Rd up tp Roundhay (Roundy!) Park!Born in St Mary's Maternity Hospital and we livedin Devonshire St. Armley Rd 1930! Opposite the White Horsepub.Didn't see that quotation in Alan Titchmarsh's bookCan't quote anything now as it was a library bookand it went back in August!Hello 'arry, did you live at the bottom of Armley Rd near that White Horse? [/quoteThat's right! I lived there from age 'Nowt' in 1930until 1933 (Age 3!)Dad got on the GPO as a temporaryPostman and we had to move to Collingham for his probationaryperiod. It wasn't a Yuppie annexe in those days,just a lovelyold village.Dad was made regular postman in '35 and we moved back to Leeds,Much to Mum's disgust! She loved the country,but had to move backto Armley Road! (Bushire street which was about 5 streets higher than Devonshire St) Still handy for Dadand the White 'oss! You must have gone to Castleton school then 'arry, that being the nearest? Can you remember a family called Wood who lived down that way?My Dad liked the White 'oss and the Albion, he wouldn't drink owt but Tetley's bitter! Yes SD I did attend Castleton'35/'36. I remember Miss Hartleymainly as she also transferred to Burley Rd. Juniors and I was there from '37 till '41 then to Brudenell aged 11,after a few changes ofaddress in a short time (Bailiffs never caught us!)

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

[quotenick="'Arry 'Awk"] stutterdog wrote: 'Arry 'Awk wrote: stutterdog wrote: 'Arry 'Awk wrote: stutterdog wrote: 'Arry 'Awk wrote: stutterdog wrote: Trojan wrote: Briggy wrote: Hi everyone. Just discovered this jewel of a site and love it!Dialect favourite word of all for which I think there is no standard English equivalent - 'to thoil' i.e. to be able to afford something, but not be able to justify the expense.Don't know if this has already been mentioned previously but the Yorkshire Dialect Society do a fantastic and very readable dictionary of Yorkshire Dialect for anyone who wants to read more about it.http://www.ydsociety.org.uk/id4.html I believe "thoil" is a Yorkshire version of the Scottish word "thole" which is can be defined here:http://www.scots-online.org/dictionary/index.htmThole is to thoil as 'ole is to 'oil. Hows this for a dialect poem taught to me by my dear Mother in 1950.Here we go! Thar Bob owes ar Bob a bob!And if thar Bob dunt giv ar Bob that bob that thar Bob owes ar Bob, Ar Bob'll give thar Bob a bob on't nose! Whew! Hi ther 'arry! I wonder if you were brought up in Burmantofts re the 'ar bob thar bob poem. My mum was. But I was an Armley lad and no friends when I was young had heard of it! St.dogHi S.D. I'm sure I did that 'Ar Bob' and 'Yar Bob' saying before!I've searched through all the postings on this thread tillme eyes are falling out but it may have been on another thread! Never mind it's worth a re-run! My dadsaid it to me whenI was about 5 yrs old, accompanied bya 'soft' bob on my nose!I read a library book a month or so back by Alan Titchmarsh,called 'Nobbut a Lad.' It's based around Ilkley but I knowmost of the dialect and sayings he quotes.Well worth a 'read' if you can tear yourself away fromSecret Leeds! Sorry S.D All I saw of Burmantofts was from the tramgoing from Kirkstall Rd up tp Roundhay (Roundy!) Park!Born in St Mary's Maternity Hospital and we livedin Devonshire St. Armley Rd 1930! Opposite the White Horsepub.Didn't see that quotation in Alan Titchmarsh's bookCan't quote anything now as it was a library bookand it went back in August!Hello 'arry, did you live at the bottom of Armley Rd near that White Horse? [/quoteThat's right! I lived there from age 'Nowt' in 1930until 1933 (Age 3!)Dad got on the GPO as a temporaryPostman and we had to move to Collingham for his probationaryperiod. It wasn't a Yuppie annexe in those days,just a lovelyold village.Dad was made regular postman in '35 and we moved back to Leeds,Much to Mum's disgust! She loved the country,but had to move backto Armley Road! (Bushire street which was about 5 streets higher than Devonshire St) Still handy for Dadand the White 'oss! You must have gone to Castleton school then 'arry, that being the nearest? Can you remember a family called Wood who lived down that way?My Dad liked the White 'oss and the Albion, he wouldn't drink owt but Tetley's bitter! Yes SD I did attend Castleton'35/'36. I remember Miss Hartleymainly as she also transferred to Burley Rd. Juniors and I was there from '37 till '41 then to Brudenell aged 11,after a few changes ofaddress in a short time (Bailiffs never caught us!) Tha's well afore my time'arry.I were there 1946-53.Armley were a grim old place 'i them days lad!    
ex-Armley lad

Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

[quotenick="stutterdog"] 'Arry 'Awk wrote: stutterdog wrote: 'Arry 'Awk wrote: stutterdog wrote: 'Arry 'Awk wrote: stutterdog wrote: 'Arry 'Awk wrote: stutterdog wrote: Trojan wrote: Briggy wrote: Hi everyone. Just discovered this jewel of a site and love it!Dialect favourite word of all for which I think there is no standard English equivalent - 'to thoil' i.e. to be able to afford something, but not be able to justify the expense.Don't know if this has already been mentioned previously but the Yorkshire Dialect Society do a fantastic and very readable dictionary of Yorkshire Dialect for anyone who wants to read more about it.http://www.ydsociety.org.uk/id4.html I believe "thoil" is a Yorkshire version of the Scottish word "thole" which is can be defined here:http://www.scots-online.org/dictionary/index.htmThole is to thoil as 'ole is to 'oil. Hows this for a dialect poem taught to me by my dear Mother in 1950.Here we go! Thar Bob owes ar Bob a bob!And if thar Bob dunt giv ar Bob that bob that thar Bob owes ar Bob, Ar Bob'll give thar Bob a bob on't nose! Whew! Hi ther 'arry! I wonder if you were brought up in Burmantofts re the 'ar bob thar bob poem. My mum was. But I was an Armley lad and no friends when I was young had heard of it! St.dogHi S.D. I'm sure I did that 'Ar Bob' and 'Yar Bob' saying before!I've searched through all the postings on this thread tillme eyes are falling out but it may have been on another thread! Never mind it's worth a re-run! My dadsaid it to me whenI was about 5 yrs old, accompanied bya 'soft' bob on my nose!I read a library book a month or so back by Alan Titchmarsh,called 'Nobbut a Lad.' It's based around Ilkley but I knowmost of the dialect and sayings he quotes.Well worth a 'read' if you can tear yourself away fromSecret Leeds! Sorry S.D All I saw of Burmantofts was from the tramgoing from Kirkstall Rd up tp Roundhay (Roundy!) Park!Born in St Mary's Maternity Hospital and we livedin Devonshire St. Armley Rd 1930! Opposite the White Horsepub.Didn't see that quotation in Alan Titchmarsh's bookCan't quote anything now as it was a library bookand it went back in August!Hello 'arry, did you live at the bottom of Armley Rd near that White Horse? [/quoteThat's right! I lived there from age 'Nowt' in 1930until 1933 (Age 3!)Dad got on the GPO as a temporaryPostman and we had to move to Collingham for his probationaryperiod. It wasn't a Yuppie annexe in those days,just a lovelyold village.Dad was made regular postman in '35 and we moved back to Leeds,Much to Mum's disgust! She loved the country,but had to move backto Armley Road! (Bushire street which was about 5 streets higher than Devonshire St) Still handy for Dadand the White 'oss! You must have gone to Castleton school then 'arry, that being the nearest? Can you remember a family called Wood who lived down that way?My Dad liked the White 'oss and the Albion, he wouldn't drink owt but Tetley's bitter! Yes SD I did attend Castleton'35/'36. I remember Miss Hartleymainly as she also transferred to Burley Rd. Juniors and I was there from '37 till '41 then to Brudenell aged 11,after a few changes ofaddress in a short time (Bailiffs never caught us!) Tha's well afore my time'arry.I were there 1946-53.Armley were a grim old place 'i them days lad!     Aye,even grimmer in the 30's when we lived in Bushire St.We had the shunting yard for the New Wortley Gashousecoal wagons just behind us,and the destructors at the bottomof the Street across Armley Rd Creating a stink at all times.Not to mention all the Engineering works higher up.(Never had to lick t'road when we were hungry though!) lol

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

[quotenick="'Arry 'Awk"] stutterdog wrote: 'Arry 'Awk wrote: stutterdog wrote: 'Arry 'Awk wrote: stutterdog wrote: 'Arry 'Awk wrote: stutterdog wrote: 'Arry 'Awk wrote: stutterdog wrote: Trojan wrote: Briggy wrote: Hi everyone. Just discovered this jewel of a site and love it!Dialect favourite word of all for which I think there is no standard English equivalent - 'to thoil' i.e. to be able to afford something, but not be able to justify the expense.Don't know if this has already been mentioned previously but the Yorkshire Dialect Society do a fantastic and very readable dictionary of Yorkshire Dialect for anyone who wants to read more about it.http://www.ydsociety.org.uk/id4.html I believe "thoil" is a Yorkshire version of the Scottish word "thole" which is can be defined here:http://www.scots-online.org/dictionary/index.htmThole is to thoil as 'ole is to 'oil. Hows this for a dialect poem taught to me by my dear Mother in 1950.Here we go! Thar Bob owes ar Bob a bob!And if thar Bob dunt giv ar Bob that bob that thar Bob owes ar Bob, Ar Bob'll give thar Bob a bob on't nose! Whew! Hi ther 'arry! I wonder if you were brought up in Burmantofts re the 'ar bob thar bob poem. My mum was. But I was an Armley lad and no friends when I was young had heard of it! St.dogHi S.D. I'm sure I did that 'Ar Bob' and 'Yar Bob' saying before!I've searched through all the postings on this thread tillme eyes are falling out but it may have been on another thread! Never mind it's worth a re-run! My dadsaid it to me whenI was about 5 yrs old, accompanied bya 'soft' bob on my nose!I read a library book a month or so back by Alan Titchmarsh,called 'Nobbut a Lad.' It's based around Ilkley but I knowmost of the dialect and sayings he quotes.Well worth a 'read' if you can tear yourself away fromSecret Leeds! Sorry S.D All I saw of Burmantofts was from the tramgoing from Kirkstall Rd up tp Roundhay (Roundy!) Park!Born in St Mary's Maternity Hospital and we livedin Devonshire St. Armley Rd 1930! Opposite the White Horsepub.Didn't see that quotation in Alan Titchmarsh's bookCan't quote anything now as it was a library bookand it went back in August!Hello 'arry, did you live at the bottom of Armley Rd near that White Horse? [/quoteThat's right! I lived there from age 'Nowt' in 1930until 1933 (Age 3!)Dad got on the GPO as a temporaryPostman and we had to move to Collingham for his probationaryperiod. It wasn't a Yuppie annexe in those days,just a lovelyold village.Dad was made regular postman in '35 and we moved back to Leeds,Much to Mum's disgust! She loved the country,but had to move backto Armley Road! (Bushire street which was about 5 streets higher than Devonshire St) Still handy for Dadand the White 'oss! You must have gone to Castleton school then 'arry, that being the nearest? Can you remember a family called Wood who lived down that way?My Dad liked the White 'oss and the Albion, he wouldn't drink owt but Tetley's bitter! Yes SD I did attend Castleton'35/'36. I remember Miss Hartleymainly as she also transferred to Burley Rd. Juniors and I was there from '37 till '41 then to Brudenell aged 11,after a few changes ofaddress in a short time (Bailiffs never caught us!) Tha's well afore my time'arry.I were there 1946-53.Armley were a grim old place 'i them days lad!     Aye,even grimmer in the 30's when we lived in Bushire St.We had the shunting yard for the New Wortley Gashousecoal wagons just behind us,and the destructors at the bottomof the Street across Armley Rd Creating a stink at all times.Not to mention all the Engineering works higher up.(Never had to lick t'road when we were hungry though!) lolI did once taste t'tar that bubbled up art o't'cobbles in't summer just ta see wa'r it tasted like! On'y did it the once though!
ex-Armley lad

FLOJO

Post by FLOJO »

I can remember if anyone was moving house you would say Mrs so and so is flitting, I don't know if that is a northern saying, but i haven;t heard it anywhere else and certainly haven't heard it here.
Ex Leeds Lass

Dobbie54

Post by Dobbie54 »

I remember hearing about a moonlight flit.Where peaople would move overnight.
Bramley born and bred

weenie

Post by weenie »

i still hear it now if people do a runner from house etc at night, - "They done a moonlight"

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Flitting was a general Northern term ,still quite common when i was at school in the 1970's and still used by 60+ generation today.the old music hall song "My old man said follow the van" is about such a flitting.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Si

Post by Si »

Steve Jones wrote: Flitting was a general Northern term ,still quite common when i was at school in the 1970's and still used by 60+ generation today.the old music hall song "My old man said follow the van" is about such a flitting. I was looking at a site with a list of Yorkshire dialect words of Norse origin (as you do,) and "flit" is on the list, meaning to move house. It turns out that many generally accepted English words were originally Yorkshire dialect (via Norse) such as flag (as in flagstone,) dollop and even ar$e.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Si wrote: Steve Jones wrote: Flitting was a general Northern term ,still quite common when i was at school in the 1970's and still used by 60+ generation today.the old music hall song "My old man said follow the van" is about such a flitting. I was looking at a site with a list of Yorkshire dialect words of Norse origin (as you do,) and "flit" is on the list, meaning to move house. It turns out that many generally accepted English words were originally Yorkshire dialect (via Norse) such as flag (as in flagstone,) dollop and even ar$e. Many Yorkshire dialect words are of Norse origin as I posted recently on here the Yorkshire dialect term "barn" for child is the same word in Swedish and Danish.The best place to see the influence of the Vikings in Yorkshire IMO is in the area around Easingwold. The place names are a bit weird, Tholthorpe, Flawith, Alne, Sessay, Helperby Aldwarke. And many of the people have a similar look, very slim with sandy hair. Presumably before the days of mass transportation there was a lot of inbreeding.
Industria Omnia Vincit