Dialect/slang

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
mike-p

Post by mike-p »

A mate of ours used to talk about "ar lass" and some of the others thought he meant his wife, which no-one could understand as women wouldn't go near him; but I knew he meant his sister, which is what the term means to me (I'm from Scott Hal).

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

mike-p wrote: A mate of ours used to talk about "ar lass" and some of the others thought he meant his wife, which no-one could understand as women wouldn't go near him; but I knew he meant his sister, which is what the term means to me (I'm from Scott Hal). I've heard it used in both contexts. But more in the "wife" meaning than sister. I used to work with a bloke from Normanton who always referred to his sister as "ar lass" And I know it also a phrase used in the North East to mean wife.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Si wrote: Lilysmum wrote: 'Arry 'Awk wrote: Lilysmum wrote: "Rain coming down like stair rods" like it is today!! Something you don't hear anything of,these days is the oldermen and a few women with a strange (to me),way of speakingthe letter 'R' in certain words. Like a gargling throat clearing!Think of Dear old Norah Batty's husband,Wally.He would say something like " Eeeh! It wor'all Bghrrown(brown) an' cghrrrusty"(crusty) etc. I can't recall any other peoplespeaking that way anywhere else. Could have been an inbredreaction to the industrial smog,dust and soot in Leeds? Probably a speech impediment.Me and my sister used to get clattered once a month by our grandma when her insurance man called. We were warned beforehand to stay out of the way and"dont start tittering"because he couldn't pronounce "S".My grandma said he had too much dip!We waited for him to say the words " shceven and schixpence pleesch and it cracked us up every time,we were severley reprimanded and quite rightly so. Poor man! and to add to his troubles he had a built up shoe,very thick glasses and carried a satchel. Must have been a nightmare at the greengrocer's..."Thixth theedleth that-thumath pleathe, and make it thnappy!" Doctor "Big beaths now"Girl patient:"Yeth and I'm only thixteen" I'll get me coat.
Industria Omnia Vincit

mike-p

Post by mike-p »

Trojan wrote: Si wrote: Lilysmum wrote: 'Arry 'Awk wrote: Lilysmum wrote: "Rain coming down like stair rods" like it is today!! Something you don't hear anything of,these days is the oldermen and a few women with a strange (to me),way of speakingthe letter 'R' in certain words. Like a gargling throat clearing!Think of Dear old Norah Batty's husband,Wally.He would say something like " Eeeh! It wor'all Bghrrown(brown) an' cghrrrusty"(crusty) etc. I can't recall any other peoplespeaking that way anywhere else. Could have been an inbredreaction to the industrial smog,dust and soot in Leeds? Probably a speech impediment.Me and my sister used to get clattered once a month by our grandma when her insurance man called. We were warned beforehand to stay out of the way and"dont start tittering"because he couldn't pronounce "S".My grandma said he had too much dip!We waited for him to say the words " shceven and schixpence pleesch and it cracked us up every time,we were severley reprimanded and quite rightly so. Poor man! and to add to his troubles he had a built up shoe,very thick glasses and carried a satchel. Must have been a nightmare at the greengrocer's..."Thixth theedleth that-thumath pleathe, and make it thnappy!" Doctor "Big breaths now"Girl patient:"Yeth and I'm only thixteen" I'll get me coat.     The old ones are the best!Doctor: "I'm going to have to numb your breastsWoman Patient: "OK"Doctor: "Numm, numm, numm ..."Sorry if I offend anyone - but you lot don't offend easily - am I right?

Bramleygal

Post by Bramleygal »

'Ar lass: always the daughter, at least in Bramley.

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

I heard "tidgy" this morning for the first time in years. Anyone know the origins? Is it a form of "titchy"? Saying that, where does "titch" come from?
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Reginal Perrin wrote: I heard "tidgy" this morning for the first time in years. Anyone know the origins? Is it a form of "titchy"? Saying that, where does "titch" come from? Scoddy in this house
Industria Omnia Vincit

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Reginal Perrin wrote: I heard "tidgy" this morning for the first time in years. Anyone know the origins? Is it a form of "titchy"? Saying that, where does "titch" come from? Scoddy in this house
Industria Omnia Vincit

Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

Trojan wrote: Reginal Perrin wrote: I heard "tidgy" this morning for the first time in years. Anyone know the origins? Is it a form of "titchy"? Saying that, where does "titch" come from? Scoddy in this house Even before my time(!) there was a music hallcomedian called "Little Titch" He was a Jimmy Clitheroetype about 4ft 6ins tall,I've seen cartoons and referencesto him on various occasions. Roy Hudd has done a few articles on him at various times.Mebbe that's where 'Titch' originated?

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

'Arry 'Awk wrote: Trojan wrote: Reginal Perrin wrote: I heard "tidgy" this morning for the first time in years. Anyone know the origins? Is it a form of "titchy"? Saying that, where does "titch" come from? Scoddy in this house Even before my time(!) there was a music hallcomedian called "Little Titch" He was a Jimmy Clitheroetype about 4ft 6ins tall,I've seen cartoons and referencesto him on various occasions. Roy Hudd has done a few articles on him at various times.Mebbe that's where 'Titch' originated? There was also Wee Georgie Wood, but I never saw his act.    
Industria Omnia Vincit