The eccentric box man of Chapel Allerton

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
Marko't'hill

The eccentric box man of Chapel Allerton

Post by Marko't'hill »

Back in the early 80s (and possibly the late 70s, I encountered an eccentric character, purportedly a former dentist who had gone insane through an over indulgence in laughing gas, who was to be found wandering the streets of Chapel Allerton wearing a box tied around his neck with string, which was reputed to contain the ashes of his erstwhile best friend. If memory serves, he often had a long, bushy grey beard and sported round, dark goggles. I feel sure it wasn't a dream. Can anyone add more to this so that I can prove to my other half that I have not gone completely mad?

Dalehelms

Re: The eccentric box man of Chapel Allerton

Post by Dalehelms »

I worked in Chapel Allerton in the 70s and remember seeing the man you describe. I was told that he was a dentist who had become addicted to a substance used in his practice. You can tell your other half that you are not telling porkies.

Marko't'hill

Post by Marko't'hill »

Dalehelms wrote:I worked in Chapel Allerton in the 70s and remember seeing the man you describe. I was told that he was a dentist who had become addicted to a substance used in his practice. You can tell your other half that you are not telling porkies.
Phew! Thanks for that Dalehelms. I still don't know for sure what was in his box. Were you ever told anything about that?

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Maybe he took inspiration from "I Didn't Know You Cared"?

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

LS1 wrote:Maybe he took inspiration from "I Didn't Know You Cared"?
I heard that!! Pardon?
;)
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

tyke bhoy wrote:
LS1 wrote:Maybe he took inspiration from "I Didn't Know You Cared"?
I heard that!! Pardon?
;)
Brilliant comedy. This is a link to a 2 minutes video that includes Uncle Staveley's classic "I heard that!! Pardon?". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfWr9JNUWfg
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

With the news of the sad death of Liz Smith at aged 95 I thought this short video (about 6 minutes) of part of a 'I didn't know you cared' episode may bring laughs (what's in Uncle Staveley's box gets mentioned). Hopefully the humour will appeal to all Secret Leeds readers, but perhaps it may now only amuse those old enough to recall the series. I hope however it has you :lol:. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIWO0MIpFAw
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

LeedsGloyt

Post by LeedsGloyt »

Well that was pony