Black Pudding

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
simong

Post by simong »

wiggy wrote: i'll have to tell thee tha same as i tell these lot down 'ere in shandy land.i am a yorkshire man not a lancastrian.........they make black pudding not us!! The wrong side might be better known for it, but there is plenty made over here. My Mum used to work for Cooplands, who were based in Doncaster and had branches mostly in South Yorkshire and north Notts, but who were regular champions in the black pudding making world. Yes, you can get medals for making black pudding.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

simong wrote: wiggy wrote: i'll have to tell thee tha same as i tell these lot down 'ere in shandy land.i am a yorkshire man not a lancastrian.........they make black pudding not us!! The wrong side might be better known for it, but there is plenty made over here. My Mum used to work for Cooplands, who were based in Doncaster and had branches mostly in South Yorkshire and north Notts, but who were regular champions in the black pudding making world. Yes, you can get medals for making black pudding. aye lad i'll agree wi that,but they make yorkshire puddings down here......dunt make 'em proper ones tho'........ha ha!
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

Troll

Post by Troll »

So did I miss it or something, because I still don't know how or why the land got it's name.Or is it just that it looks like a black pudding?
Go the Rhinos.

moggy

Post by moggy »

Hi TrollI think the area that Festwerfer refers to was near the old broom pit and Babbingtons scrapyard. The best way i can describe it ,having got stuck knee deep in it as a nipper, is that it seemed to be a mixture of water, coal dust and shale covering half an acre possibly something to do with coal washing at the pit. dangerous all the same.     Moggy

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I was talking to a Pagan friend of mine yesterday who used to do rituals in Middleton Woods. She told me that there was supposed to be a ghost that rose from the area known as "The Black Pudding" and that she was warned about it as a child.Anyone else heard about this?it did cross my mind today that it might have been a subtle way of keeping kids away from a dangerous area; in the same way I was warned that Jenny Greenteeth would get me if I went too near old ponds, or grids, in manchester when I was a kid!
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

If black pudding is made from blood, what do they use to make White Pudding????? Surely not... ... ... ... ...
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

zip55

Post by zip55 »

Chrism wrote: If black pudding is made from blood, what do they use to make White Pudding????? Surely not... ... ... ... ... That's right Chrism ... white blood corpuscles.

Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

zip55 wrote: Chrism wrote: If black pudding is made from blood, what do they use to make White Pudding????? Surely not... ... ... ... ... That's right Chrism ... white blood corpuscles White dog poo? (Mentioned frequently on the 'Things youdon't see any more'a whileback!) lol

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Chrism wrote: If black pudding is made from blood, what do they use to make White Pudding????? Surely not... ... ... ... ... I've often wondered that. Although the only -place I've ever seen white pudding is in Ireland - perhaps it's made from all the left over white parts from Guiness - or perhaps not
Industria Omnia Vincit