Dead lane

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
polo

Post by polo »

Leodian wrote: Having had a few minutes spare I've been spotting some names in the map (what's that I hear you all say, it's time I got a life! ). Not knowing the area I wonder how many of the names are still used today. This is a list (in no particular order nor location) of names that caught my eye:-Pog. Crimbles. Ratten Row. Granhamthorpe (I wonder if that is a variation of Greenthorpe?). Smools Lane. Cheesecake Ho. Jubbergate. Philadelphia (any connection to that place in the United States of America?). Rooms. Upper Rooms. Hell Hole. Sisters Wood. Finkle Hill Lane. Holme Shay (1616) (off Shay Lane). Dutch Dame (Site of). Low Bedlam. High Bedlam (there is a Bedlam Lane near Weardley, so I wonder if Bedlam had a meaning then other than its modern use). North Shrog. There are at least two Enters (one near Woodhall to the top left and another near the Bethel Chap above right of the R in WOR). There are a lot of 'By Stone' (the y is raised small case) which are presumably boundary stones, so I wonder how many still survive. There are also many wells and very many coal pits marked. Old maps are fascinating. 'Dutch Dame (Site of)' sounds particularly intriguing.     Theres a house on pudsey road opp cornmill lodge called "shrogg villa".Granamthorpe still exisits to this day.I love how place names change over the years and how streets are often completely wiped out of memory. Notice green lane dosent exist but theres a cut through straight to the prison called "dodgson lane" i now also know where the hall in hall lane was in armley.