Dead lane

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
chemimike

Post by chemimike »

Only a small area around there in 1893 is available in the 1/500 scale, but it does show that Moorland view was a separate road then , running parallel to Moorland road

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Having had a few minutes spare I've been spotting some names in the map (what's that I hear you all say, it's time I got a life! ). Not knowing the area I wonder how many of the names are still used today. This is a list (in no particular order nor location) of names that caught my eye:-Pog. Crimbles. Ratten Row. Granhamthorpe (I wonder if that is a variation of Greenthorpe?). Smools Lane. Cheesecake Ho. Jubbergate. Philadelphia (any connection to that place in the United States of America?). Rooms. Upper Rooms. Hell Hole. Sisters Wood. Finkle Hill Lane. Holme Shay (1616) (off Shay Lane). Dutch Dame (Site of). Low Bedlam. High Bedlam (there is a Bedlam Lane near Weardley, so I wonder if Bedlam had a meaning then other than its modern use). North Shrog. There are at least two Enters (one near Woodhall to the top left and another near the Bethel Chap above right of the R in WOR). There are a lot of 'By Stone' (the y is raised small case) which are presumably boundary stones, so I wonder how many still survive. There are also many wells and very many coal pits marked. Old maps are fascinating. 'Dutch Dame (Site of)' sounds particularly intriguing.    
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

shutthatdoor

Post by shutthatdoor »

chemimike wrote: The sheet to the east is at http://maps.nls.uk/view/102344959 Thanks chemimike you're a superstar ***
'Eeh! That's thrown fat on t' fire'

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Leodian wrote: Philadelphia (any connection to that place in the United States of America?). High Bedlam (there is a Bedlam Lane near Weardley, so I wonder if Bedlam had a meaning then other than its modern use).     Philadelphia was in the Near East and is in the Bible. So probably a religious link.Bedlam - possibly from Bethlem/Bethlehem? As in Bethlem Hospital aka Bedlam?    

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

chemimike wrote: The sheet to the east is at http://maps.nls.uk/view/102344959 Thanks for this link.Looking at Cross Gates on this map, there is a railway line to 'Manston Colliery', which looks go right along the middle of what is now Church Lane
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Cardiarms wrote: Leodian wrote: Philadelphia (any connection to that place in the United States of America?). High Bedlam (there is a Bedlam Lane near Weardley, so I wonder if Bedlam had a meaning then other than its modern use).     Philadelphia was in the Near East and is in the Bible. So probably a religious link.Bedlam - possibly from Bethlem/Bethlehem? As in Bethlem Hospital aka Bedlam?     Cheers Cardiarms.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi Leodian There is a sisters wood at Fulneck this is named after the women and girls who lived at Fulneck they were known has sisters.The wood was used by them for what they called love feasts this i think we would call partys. Fulneck Settlement dates back to the mid seventeen hundreds the boys and girls lived and were taught there while there parents went out on missionary work.    
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

chemimike wrote: The sheet to the east is at http://maps.nls.uk/view/102344959 As others have said, I also add my thanks for that link chemimike. I've seen some interesting information on the map in regard to coal pits and buildings in the area where I used to live.I've only had a cursory look at the rest of the map and spotted a 'Brandy Butts' to the right of the suspension bridge on Accommodation Road. I assume the Butts is being used in the shooting range meaning, but as a butt (among other meanings) is also a cask containing such as ale perhaps it was somewhere people went for a drink!     

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hiya tilly. Your interesting post came in while I was still typing mine! The "love feasts" sounds intriguing!

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

[quotenick="Cardiarms"A clicker cuts the leather uppers for boots and shoes. Is Book keeper really boot maker? Thanks,that makes sense that they misread the handwriting when transcribing,another bit of trivia to add to my store!
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!