Dead lane

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
polo

Post by polo »

just been looking on an old map http://maps.nls.uk/view/102344956        and between stanningley roadarmley town street theres a dead lane an unusual one i must say.

jim

Post by jim »

Interesting find polo. Dead Lane seems to follow the same route as the present day Moorfield Road. What stands out for me is that very few roads are named on the map you show other than turnpikes, which brings up the question of why Dead Lane was singled out for identification.From the same map, an old query of mine is answered. From 1949 - 1956 I lived in one of the houses in Cow Close Road, which had long gardens down to the Ring Road. All the gardens had a prominent "dip" next to the Ring Road which has always puzzled me. The map you link to shows that this was once a millrace from the beck adjacent to Butterbowl Mills to Low Mill in the vicinity of Ringways garage.    

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hi polo and jim. I like looking at old maps if only to see names of places and to wonder if there is a reason for the name, such as Dead Lane.Is the Dead Lane in question that lane a little below and between the A and R in ARML(EY)?I've only had a cursory look so far but have noticed a Hell Hole just above and between the R and N in FARNLEY. Jubbergate to the top right just left and below the H in HOLB(ECK) also sounds interesting. There will no doubt be many more interesting names on the map.    
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

I Notice that by the time of the c1893 OS map it is Moorland Road. The 1861 and 1871 censuses both refer to Dead Lane, though the 1871 also gives the alternative of Moorland View.

shutthatdoor

Post by shutthatdoor »

WOW. What a map. I'm gonna spend hours exploring this. Thank you. I note that near to Dead lane is Highthorne Hill. I used to live on Highthorne View and know the area very well. The other thing that strikes me is the 'Well' marked near the M in Armley. This could be connected to 'Hollywell Lane' (LS12 3HP) if you want to google map it. It also seems that the current Charley Cake Park was once called Cross Gates according to this map. Oooh...I am going to have hours of fun with this. I'll be back. Cheers polo.
'Eeh! That's thrown fat on t' fire'

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I agree this is a great find Polo ,thanks.The number of named wells on it in addition to just wells is very useful in my search for old holy wells and springs.Does Dead Lane continue to the house marked as Redcotes?It appears to be the same road, but is not named once it crosses the main road.    
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

If you look at the 1871 Census extract here:http://vitaldb.moorlandit.com/display_r ... 10&hl=0you will notice that it lists houses as Moorland View or Dead Lane up to number 191 then just as Moorland View so the there were two different roads but the latter would seem to have prevailed later.I assume that saying you lived in Dead lane wasn't a good address<LOL>.Incidentally I notice one occupant is listed as a "Book Keeper and Clicker" I know what a book keeper is but what on earth did a Clicker do?
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

shutthatdoor

Post by shutthatdoor »

Does anyone have a link to the next sheet in the series going Eastward?Thanks
'Eeh! That's thrown fat on t' fire'

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Steve Jones wrote: If you look at the 1871 Census extract here:http://vitaldb.moorlandit.com/display_r ... 10&hl=0you will notice that it lists houses as Moorland View or Dead Lane up to number 191 then just as Moorland View so the there were two different roads but the latter would seem to have prevailed later.I assume that saying you lived in Dead lane wasn't a good address<LOL>.Incidentally I notice one occupant is listed as a "Book Keeper and Clicker" I know what a book keeper is but what on earth did a Clicker do? A clicker cuts the leather uppers for boots and shoes. Is Book keeper really boot maker?

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

The sheet to the east is at http://maps.nls.uk/view/102344959