Currie Entry

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
polo

Post by polo »

Not sure if this has been mentioned already but on one of the old maps of leeds near leeds bridge theres a street that goes off called "currie entry".Im wondering if anyone knows the meaning of this ? maybe a trade route perhaps ?

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

Where and on which map exactly was this? Presumably it was access to a currier's (leather processing) firm

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

chemimike wrote: Where and on which map exactly was this? Presumably it was access to a currier's (leather processing) firm Sounds feasable chemimike
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Have you a reference for the map Polo? Link/ screenshot etc?

polo

Post by polo »

yeah sorry its at the bottom right of this map Its the bit leading to call lane.

polo

Post by polo »

sorry here it is
Attachments
maap.jpg
maap.jpg (146.25 KiB) Viewed 4417 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks for that polo. That's interesting. It seems to follow what is now Hirst's Yard. Edit added June 22. I now wonder if it is what is now Duncan Street and that the fine building marked may be the old Central Market? Speculating even more, as the Leeds Mercury building was around there I wonder if Currie could just have been a local expression for Mercury (Mercurrie). It's a thought! I see the map marks a 'Burley Barr', so possibly what is known as the Burley Bar Stone. I'm confused though that the map marks an Upper and a Lower head Row, as Headrow is a relatively modernish name for that road.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

polo

Post by polo »

Leodian wrote: Thanks for that polo. That's interesting. It seems to follow what is now Hirst's Yard. Edit added June 22. I now wonder if it is what is now Duncan Street and that the fine building marked may be the old Central Market? Speculating even more, as the Leeds Mercury building was around there I wonder if Currie could just have been a local expression for Mercury (Mercurrie). It's a thought! I see the map marks a 'Burley Barr', so possibly what is known as the Burley Bar Stone. I'm confused though that the map marks an Upper and a Lower head Row, as Headrow is a relatively modernish name for that road. I think the head(rows) have always bee there its just guildford street (which im guessing didnt exist at that time) and park lane (part of) that was absorbed into the headrow. Im not sure it would be the market either as i thought it was held on the bridge or briggate around the time of the map.

polo

Post by polo »

Im curious if the "shaw well" is the same one as in eyebright place

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hi polo.What is the date of the map please.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.