Name that place....

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Leodian wrote: I wonder if it is Weardley (Weird...) but if so I don't see the Geordie bit.During a walk last Thursday just before I reached Weardley I saw a number of Red Kites being fed bits of sausage rolls! The birds seemed willing to take the pieces.      That's it - well done Leo! The Geordie reference is from 'wear' as in Tyne and...
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

loinerchris

Post by loinerchris »

Adel and eccup are both place names that i think must be quite unusual not sure if anyone agrees..Where i live in Killingbeck is also different, with a couple of different theories on the origin of the name.chris,

Croggy1
Site Admin

Post by Croggy1 »

uncle mick wrote: buffaloskinner wrote: I live in Nova Scotia, so where is that in Leeds? Middleton / Belle Isle where the Newhalls are now There was a Nova Scotia to the east of Thorner and west of Bramham Park.http://maps.nls.uk/view/101169554

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

raveydavey wrote: Leodian wrote: I wonder if it is Weardley (Weird...) but if so I don't see the Geordie bit.During a walk last Thursday just before I reached Weardley I saw a number of Red Kites being fed bits of sausage rolls! The birds seemed willing to take the pieces.      That's it - well done Leo! The Geordie reference is from 'wear' as in Tyne and... Hiya raveydavey. I feel a bit for not spotting the Wear connection as it's so obvious now!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

I used to live in Troy.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

uncle mick wrote: buffaloskinner wrote: I live in Nova Scotia, so where is that in Leeds? Middleton / Belle Isle where the Newhalls are now Spot on Uncle Mick, how it was called that I do not know
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

buffaloskinner wrote: uncle mick wrote: buffaloskinner wrote: I live in Nova Scotia, so where is that in Leeds? Middleton / Belle Isle where the Newhalls are now Spot on Uncle Mick, how it was called that I do not know According to Leodis - Nova Scotia. The name of this area refers to the bleak, hilly location similar to that of its namesake in Canadahttp://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?resourceIde ... SPLAY=FULL

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

This one might be a bit easier...still in LeedsSupposedly the birthplace of New Labour - or close by, fifty shades of a sporting legend....    
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

jim

Post by jim »

Commercial pub, Sweet Street?

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

raveydavey wrote: This one might be a bit easier...still in LeedsSupposedly the birthplace of New Labour - or close by, fifty shades of a sporting legend....     Eddie Gray springs to mind but................ confused ???