Do you consider North Leeds to be one whole, or divided into two?

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

LDe wrote: If North Leeds was divided into two, what would be the boundary? Otley Road? Meanwood Beck? The A61? Naturally the Adel/Meanwood beck and valley.Brought up in North seacroft we used to knock about Whinmoor, Roundhay Harehills, Oakwood and Shadwell and whilst we didn't get to Moortown much that was an extension of harehills and roundhay so to me that's the North east Leeds I grew up in.I then moved to Cookridge/Horsforth and we get to Adel and Headingley a lot and not so much back over the north east side since my parents dies. So for me it's Adel/Meanwood beck.     

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

I think people who live in Horsforth are more comfortable describing themselves as north west Leeds and define themselves from the total rabble that live south west of the river Aire, ha ha ha! I live in West Park and even thats debatable as I'm sure a lot of the people who live in 'central' West Park would refuse to acknowledge that where I live is 'West Park' because I'm on the border with Horsforth... tsk!    
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

jim

Post by jim »

I currently live in Armley, but in the past have lived in Hyde Park, Bramley, Chapel Allerton, Lower Wortley, and, briefly, Meanwood. I have always thought of the boundary between West/South and North/East Leeds as being the river.The boundary between South and West might be considered as either Gelderd Road or Elland Road, and for me Roundhay and Wetherby Roads form the North and East boundary.If a demarcation between NE and NW is sought, how about Scott Hall Road?Controversial perhaps, so I'll just duck down behind this handy barricade and await developements.

jdbythesea

Post by jdbythesea »

I'm from Hunslet originally but spent my teenage years and most of my adult life in north Leeds. West Park, Meanwood, Otley, Horsforth and finally Cookridge were home to me before moving away from Leeds altogether. I did live in Chapel Allerton for a short while too and I suppose it's in that area where I would make the divide. So, for me at least the northwest/northeast boundary would be where King Lane crosses the Ring Road and then down Harrogate Road.But wherever you live in Leeds it's still the best city by far.    

majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

drapesy wrote: Fortnightly bin collections - (green bin one week black bin the next) are a great idea - I envy you in Morley - why do you think its a disadvantage? I'm in north leeds with a weekly black bin collection - its only ever about a quarter full after a week and so I only put it out every 2 or 3 weeks. On the other hand the green bin is only collected every 4 weeks - but its full to overflowing after 2 and a half!(I managed to get hold of another so I have 2 green bins which I definitely need due to this set up). If you need your black bin emptied every week your not recycling enough and sending too much to land fill.     Because if you miss a collection - say you're on holiday the refuse can be there for a month. Our neighbours have a child still in nappies, which means disposable nappies could also be festering for a month.

BarFly

Post by BarFly »

jdbythesea wrote: I'm from Hunslet originally but spent my teenage years and most of my adult life in north Leeds. West Park, Meanwood, Otley, Horsforth and finally Cookridge were home to me before moving away from Leeds altogether. I did live in Chapel Allerton for a short while too and I suppose it's in that area where I would make the divide. So, for me at least the northwest/northeast boundary would be where King Lane crosses the Ring Road and then down Harrogate Road.But wherever you live in Leeds it's still the best city by far.     That's where I would put the divide also.

liits

Post by liits »

majorhoundii wrote: drapesy wrote: Fortnightly bin collections - (green bin one week black bin the next) are a great idea - I envy you in Morley - why do you think its a disadvantage?     Because if you miss a collection - say you're on holiday the refuse can be there for a month. Our neighbours have a child still in nappies, which means disposable nappies could also be festering for a month. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.I now live in an area that, in theory, has fortnightly bin collections. Going from living in inner London with a very civilised twice weekly bin collection to this lunacy is not actually quite as much fun as it sounds when you read about it in the pages of the Guardian.Majorhoundii is right in what he says about missed collections. Our end of the street [a very long, narrow cul-de-sac] missed our collection this week because the daft cow at the second house insists on leaving her badly parked car on the street instead of using the front garden that she’s had paved over. We know that it was her because the bin men left a large [pre-printed & very adhesive] notice on her car and the houses that didn’t get their bags collected got a leaflet through the door.I’m guessing that the bin men had both the notice and the leaflets [in Welsh & English] onboard the bin wagon and this forethought is also why my council tax is nearly five hundred quid a year more expensive in the Vale of Glamorgan.Incidentally, I wasn’t one of the neighbours who later left their bags on her paved over garden and I certainly wasn’t the one who empty their rubbish out of the bags onto her drive!    

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

LDe wrote: (Not sure which other forum I could have put this on, so decided to stick it in here!)Do you count North Leeds as a whole district, or do you feel it is made up of two separate districts, being North East Leeds and North West Leeds? Personally for me, I feel that there's a divide between Chapeltown, Meanwood, Roundhay, Chapel Allerton, Moortown, Alwoodley, etc. and Burley, Kirkstall, Headingley, West Park, Cookridge, Horsforth, etc. So I see it as two separate parts of the city myself. Growing up in Roundhay I didn't really feel like I was in the same part of Leeds as places like Headingley, Cookridge and Horsforth. Like, I felt more of an "affinity" with Harehills and Seacroft than I did with them places!The thing is, North Leeds is so huge, stretching from along the river all the way up to Wharfedale, then across to Wetherby and down the A58 (those are the basic boundaries I think) that I feel it's hard not to divide it into two!Your thoughts people? Agree your latter.I love the way you can almost demark the various merged 'villages' that become N leeds. So for me not a whole or even two.Gledhow - draw it's borders with Gipton(wood) GV Rd crossing takes you into Chapel Allerton etc

WiggyDiggy

Post by WiggyDiggy »

Ive lived in Headingley and Kirkstall and they definitely felt separated from the areas you mentioned. One thing about Kirkstall is feels more like a larger collection of housing with a supermarket or 3 thrown in. There's no real centre to it for instance, some considered Kirkstall Lights to be the center but there is almost nothing there, certainly in 2.5 years of living in Kirkstall I can count the nights out for instance I had there on 1 hand.Headingley on the other hand has a large collection of bars, clubs and restaurants.I was happier in Kirkstall BTW but that was down to nicer housing, I always felt Headingley had more going for it.    

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

However.. I know a few remaining real folks who live in Headingley, they're usually at the Market by the Lounge cinema.Most say it's all morphed too much to bedsitland and so many rented/transitory with no long term respect for neighbours/hood.And catering for this massive retail alcohol.