Do you consider North Leeds to be one whole, or divided into two?

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
LDe

Post by LDe »

(Not sure which other forum I could have put this on, so decided to stick it in here!)Do you count North Leeds as a whole district, or do you feel it is made up of two separate districts, being North East Leeds and North West Leeds? Personally for me, I feel that there's a divide between Chapeltown, Meanwood, Roundhay, Chapel Allerton, Moortown, Alwoodley, etc. and Burley, Kirkstall, Headingley, West Park, Cookridge, Horsforth, etc. So I see it as two separate parts of the city myself. Growing up in Roundhay I didn't really feel like I was in the same part of Leeds as places like Headingley, Cookridge and Horsforth. Like, I felt more of an "affinity" with Harehills and Seacroft than I did with them places!The thing is, North Leeds is so huge, stretching from along the river all the way up to Wharfedale, then across to Wetherby and down the A58 (those are the basic boundaries I think) that I feel it's hard not to divide it into two!Your thoughts people?

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

I'd definitely agree that the eastern border of North Leeds runs down the A58. The western side does seem a bit vague though, with no obvious boundary apart from the river and Otley Road does seem to mark a different feel to the area.We had a similar discussion a while back about what the boundaries of South Leeds were...
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

I think it all depends where you live, and how you see things from there.I once worked with some guys from Derby who traveled to Harrogate every day refurbishing a private hospital. I always laugh when I remember what one of them said. We are Notherners, you lot up here are in the North East. So I said no your not, Derby is down South, We are the North, and how do you define Newcastle then? He quipped back.. Oh yeah, they are so far up they are in Scotland lol I think North Leeds is best described like segments of an Orange. From the river the areas including East End park and Halton ends at York Road and they are one well defined segment. The next segment covers the Seacroft and Gipton areas to Easterly Road. Segment three is the Oakwood and Roundhay areas. The last bit seems to be hard to define really. I wouldn't class the Chapletown and Harehills areas as North Leeds, they always seem to be more of an Inner City area to me. Or better described as that straggly stalk bit in the middle of the orange that no one wants or can eat!    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

As someone who lives in Morley, where we feel alienated from Leeds anyway, I regard North Leeds and the privileged area that gets everything that's going. e.g The council decides to experiment with once a fortnight bin collections, do they do it in North Leeds? They do not, they pick on Morley. I'm sure there are numerous other examples of North Leeds getting advantages. By North Leeds I mean, Alwoodley, Horsforth, Bramhope, East Keswick, Roundhay etc.    

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

My neck of North Leeds is Guiseley and we've started having fortnightly bin collections this week!

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Fortnightly bin collections - (green bin one week black bin the next) are a great idea - I envy you in Morley - why do you think its a disadvantage? I'm in north leeds with a weekly black bin collection - its only ever about a quarter full after a week and so I only put it out every 2 or 3 weeks. On the other hand the green bin is only collected every 4 weeks - but its full to overflowing after 2 and a half!(I managed to get hold of another so I have 2 green bins which I definitely need due to this set up). If you need your black bin emptied every week your not recycling enough and sending too much to land fill.    
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

LDe

Post by LDe »

Phill_dvsn wrote: I think it all depends where you live, and how you see things from there.I once worked with some guys from Derby who traveled to Harrogate every day refurbishing a private hospital. I always laugh when I remember what one of them said. We are Notherners, you lot up here are in the North East. So I said no your not, Derby is down South, We are the North, and how do you define Newcastle then? He quipped back.. Oh yeah, they are so far up they are in Scotland lol I think North Leeds is best described like segments of an Orange. From the river the areas including East End park and Halton ends at York Road and they are one well defined segment. The next segment covers the Seacroft and Gipton areas to Easterly Road. Segment three is the Oakwood and Roundhay areas. The last bit seems to be hard to define really. I wouldn't class the Chapletown and Harehills areas as North Leeds, they always seem to be more of an Inner City area to me. Or better described as that straggly stalk bit in the middle of the orange that no one wants or can eat!     Interesting post. I agree that there seems to be little segments of North Leeds, with boundaries formed by the many A roads that sprout out of the city centre to the North of the city.I'd say Harehills is East Leeds mostly, but only separated from North Leeds by the A58. Chapeltown is inner North Leeds IMO, with it's LS7 postcode and it's location in between the A61 and A58. But yeah, they are quite like the bits you pick out of an orange. If North Leeds was divided into two, what would be the boundary? Otley Road? Meanwood Beck? The A61?

davedeath

Post by davedeath »

I think a major divisor is the student population, and the inevitable effect that has on both the population and the types of business you find, as a consequence, in the area. So I'd say Hyde Park, Woodhouse, Headingley, Burley and some parts of West Park, Kirkstall, Meanwood and Moortown form a separate, student based area, very distinct from East Leeds, and Adel, Alwoodley etc.

LDe

Post by LDe »

davedeath wrote: I think a major divisor is the student population, and the inevitable effect that has on both the population and the types of business you find, as a consequence, in the area. So I'd say Hyde Park, Woodhouse, Headingley, Burley and some parts of West Park, Kirkstall, Meanwood and Moortown form a separate, student based area, very distinct from East Leeds, and Adel, Alwoodley etc. That's true, Woodhouse, Burley, Hyde Park, Headingley and Kirkstall have a different feel to the areas further out like Cookridge, Adel, Horsforth, Rawdon and Guiseley, despite them all being in "North West Leeds".

BarFly

Post by BarFly »

As somebody who grew up in West Leeds (Calverley, Horsforth, Rawdon) I tend to think of Horsforth as West Leeds. I think of places outside the Ring Road as being in four segments though admittedly I'd be hard-pressed to tell you where the borders are. If you look at the map though, Adel would probably where I'd say west Leeds ends and North-West Leeds starts when you get as far out as Horsforth. Probably making Otley Road (A660) my division between North and West Leeds.