Zulu Place

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

The National Roll of the Great War, 1914-1918
Attachments
Missett 2.png
Missett 2.png (153.43 KiB) Viewed 2888 times

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

The National Roll of the Great War, 1914-1918
Attachments
Missett 1.png
Missett 1.png (154.02 KiB) Viewed 2888 times

York Road Lad

Post by York Road Lad »

uncle mick wrote: The National Roll of the Great War, 1914-1918 Thanks. I think that the J Missett of 7 Bloomer Street was another brother who had moved out to get married. I note that he was killed on the same day as J E Missett of 2 Zulu Street. I remember being told that my grandmother had lost two brothers on the same day - they were apparently sharing the same accommodation that was hit by a shell. This is a fascinating book - I note that my grandfather also lost a brother - T Sadler of 4 Zulu Street, who was killed at Ypres on 29th December 1915.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

York Road Lad wrote: uncle mick wrote: The National Roll of the Great War, 1914-1918 Thanks. I think that the J Missett of 7 Bloomer Street was another brother who had moved out to get married. I note that he was killed on the same day as J E Missett of 2 Zulu Street. I remember being told that my grandmother had lost two brothers on the same day - they were apparently sharing the same accommodation that was hit by a shell. This is a fascinating book - I note that my grandfather also lost a brother - T Sadler of 4 Zulu Street, who was killed at Ypres on 29th December 1915. T. Misset of 2,Zulu St.was lucky to survive the War.Fighting in the Battles he did. How did this man find the courage to keep going? The mind boggles at what they had to put up with, and even after being wounded he still kept on going back!
ex-Armley lad

RakebeckBob

Post by RakebeckBob »

Hello, I'm new to this forum so forgive me if I repeat what is already known.My father's family lived in this area (Cromwell, Cambridge & Pollard Streets in the 1890's & early 1900's and always referred to part of Newtown as 'The Jungle' which included Tiger Street and possibly Lion Street as well as the Zulus.RakebeckBob