Zulu Place

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
LeedsMuseums

Post by LeedsMuseums »

Drawing a blank as where Zulu Place was in Leeds - address from 1900s - can anyone help?Many thanksLucy

barnie

Post by barnie »

You can find it on old maps. Do a search for Cromwell Street in Leeds and find the juntion between this and Argyle Road. Make this your central point of view and click on the 1891 1:500 map. You will find Zulu Place on this map nearby. I really hope this makes some sense. There is a picture on Leodis which says it is taken from Zulu Terrace and this is what led me down this path. It would have been near Burmantofts Street and York Road of today.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This is taken from the 1891 1:500 map in the excellent Old-Maps UK website. It shows there was a Zulu Place, Street, Grove and Terrace. It may be of help.I wonder how friendly were Friendly Row and Terrace a little above and left of the Zulu's?     
Attachments
ZuluStreet1891.jpg
ZuluStreet1891.jpg (140.66 KiB) Viewed 3937 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

(Ahem) Zulus sir! Thousands of them!I'll get my coat...
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

raveydavey wrote: (Ahem) Zulus sir! Thousands of them!I'll get my coat... Excellent stuff Ravey that tickled me.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

A pity it wasn't near Cain Close in LS9 :-). That was the closest I could find to Caine in Leeds street names.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Steve Jones wrote: A pity it wasn't near Cain Close in LS9 :-). That was the closest I could find to Caine in Leeds street names. I like your thinking - which brought to mind The Italian Job, formerly on Bridge End....
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

York Road Lad

Post by York Road Lad »

LeedsMuseums wrote: Drawing a blank as where Zulu Place was in Leeds - address from 1900s - can anyone help?Many thanksLucy I would be interested to know the reason for your inquiry. My research suggests that my paternal grandfather and grandmother met whilst next door neighbours in the next street - Zulu Street - at the start of the 20th Century. Information gleaned from 'The National Roll of Honour of the Great War' and Edwardian trade directories suggests that my grandmother's family (Missett) lived at 2 Zulu Street and my grandfather's family (Sadler) lived at 4 Zulu Street. I would be interested if you have any more information. By the time of the Great War, they had married and were living at 21 Cranberry Street in the York Road area. (My York Road roots go back a long way!)    
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

1908 Directory
Attachments
Zulus 1908.png
Zulus 1908.png (59.69 KiB) Viewed 3938 times

York Road Lad

Post by York Road Lad »

uncle mick wrote: 1908 Directory Thanks. Mrs Ann Sadler must have been my Great Grandmother (it makes sense - my Gran named one of her daughters Ann). I'm not sure which year, but I did look in a trade directory from around this time and, if I recall correctly, it listed 'Missett' at 2 Zulu Place as well as Mrs Ann Sadler at 4 Zulu Street. That's certainly the address for four of the 'Missett' entries in the Great War book - of which I have a copy at home.    
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.