Places / Streets etc that sound nothing like they are spelled

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
SteamKaos

Post by SteamKaos »

Kippax. Always mystified me when growing up why everybody called it Kippis. The I did some local history. Domesday book spells the village as Kippicce. Bloody hell. Of course not been spelled that way for near on 700 years. Amazing that the locals keep alive the viking pronunciation. Dying out now I guess. Finding stuff like this makes my skin tingle.

Si

Post by Si »

Yes it does, SteamKaos. This is a post of mine from way-back and is another example of local pronunciation continuing long after a more modern spelling had been attached:-Quote: "Just found this 1887 explanation of the origins of Richard Shaw Lane [Pudsey].'When the Angle chieftain, Stanning, looked from his hall towards the noon- day sun his vision was bounded by the slope which the Celt called the " hwpp," where the footpath now runs. He called it the " hrice," as we call it a rig, or as people of culture and superior education tone it down, the ridge. It was then wood-grown, shady, verdant, and sacred to the foot of the hunter. The leafy garment that shaded it, the Angle called a "Scua," which custom and superior education has so softened that we know the word as a shaw. And so "the wood on the ridge" — the rig- wood — became in Angle speech the "hrice scua," and as the feet of after generations trod a path to that wood the path became the " hrice-scua " lane, which the changes of time twisted so slightly that for twenty generations the path was known as Rikershaw Lane. But alas ! by the advancement of learning, the truth- telling designation had to be clothed in new gar- ments, and from the awkward hands of its blundering tailor it came forth as that monstrous abortion Richardshaw Lane !'Interesting that, 123 years later, most people still say "Rickershuh" Lane!!! The writer needn't have worried!"    

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Quite so SiI asked an older middle aged bloke the way to "Richard-Shaw-Lane" as a van driver late 70's.There was lots of tiresome grimacing and umming and ahhing before an oft-rehearsed look of realisation came over his face and he asked whether I meant "Rickershuh Lane?"I had no answer to this, and trusted the spelling and pronunciation of Royal Mail, who's label I'd showed him.Also had the same asking for SOWERBY BRIDGE:- "You don't mean SORBYBRIJ do you?".(Not the same chap).

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

The mention of Sowerby Bridge reminded me of some years back when correspondences received were often still handwritten. In a reply to one a typist addressed it to Saverby Budge, but I picked the error up before it was posted. The typist had typed what the address seemed to state, which did look like Saverby Budge. To me Sowerby Bridge is now forever Saverby Budge! I often wonder what the mail might have made of it (it may or may not have had a postcode).
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Caron

Post by Caron »

Mork of Ork wrote: Si wrote: Jogon wrote: si - well spotted, never considered the word! Just think of it as a nice underused part of the country.Somme" The Co-Op = GUD WITH FUDD "I assumed it is the scottish laddy from Coast who says that?Anyone I don't know for certain if that's the origin of the word. Like you, it just occured to me while watching telly the other night!The Co-Op voice-over sounds like David Tennant to me. He does loads of V/Os, for instance the latest Virgin ads. Could be Neil Oliver, though. I don't think the Co-Op could afford Ewan McGregor!     It's John Hannah that does the voice over for the Co-op. It annoys me too, the words are spelled the same but they don't rhyme. Unless you say them in a weird way such as 'gud with fud'. Just been reading about the actor John Hannah and his Coop voice overs. In the new Halloween advert I notice he doesn't stress the words GUD and FUD anymore. Wonder if he's read this thread??     

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Caron wrote: Mork of Ork wrote: Si wrote: Jogon wrote: si - well spotted, never considered the word! Just think of it as a nice underused part of the country.Somme" The Co-Op = GUD WITH FUDD "I assumed it is the scottish laddy from Coast who says that?Anyone I don't know for certain if that's the origin of the word. Like you, it just occured to me while watching telly the other night!The Co-Op voice-over sounds like David Tennant to me. He does loads of V/Os, for instance the latest Virgin ads. Could be Neil Oliver, though. I don't think the Co-Op could afford Ewan McGregor!     It's John Hannah that does the voice over for the Co-op. It annoys me too, the words are spelled the same but they don't rhyme. Unless you say them in a weird way such as 'gud with fud'. Just been reading about the actor John Hannah and his Coop voice overs. In the new Halloween advert I notice he doesn't stress the words GUD and FUD anymore. Wonder if he's read this thread??      Oh GUD,still getting that awful "fake" Sean Connery soundalike scottish twang in the (American Express ?) adverts though.....spoken as if mouth full of a bag of marbles ! shtwennyfoorshevern.....aka 24/7might have wrong advert but you'll know it.(just heard it....AmEx ).    
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

I wish they could bring back Billy Casper from Kes to do all the voice overs on telly. Mind you I can remember when we watched 'Kes' in English lessons at school in Morley we thought he sounded just like we talked. I can remember a school teacher (who obviously wasnt from Morley) telling us how appauling our Morley accents were with all the dropped h's etc, which was fairly insulting... I thought that my university education and time spent living around the country had knocked it out of me, but when I saw / heard myself on my friends home video last week I realised I still sounded exactly the same - funny how you dont realise how your own voice sounds until you hear it played back.
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge