Places / Streets etc that sound nothing like they are spelled

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
BarFly

Post by BarFly »

Well, I've heard Americans pronounce Edinburgh "Eedinborow". Made a Scottish-born Aussie friend cringe.

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

I heard an American refer to Glowsester, and he was referring to the one in Massachussetts.
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Si wrote: You're right Mork. Easterners travelling west were known as pilgrims. But what has that got to do with an English cheese brand? They should have made an ad featuring John Bunyan! Maybe not...Other obvious national names include Leicester, Worcester, Gloucester and Launceston, not to mention the famous Australian place of Loogbaroog (Loughborough.)         funnily enough Launceston in Cornwall and Launceston in Tasmania are pronounced totally differently. A few other random examples - Wrotham (Root'em) , Happisburgh (Haysbro') , Darwen (Darren), Dodworth(Dod'uth)
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

I was trying to contribute to this thread last Wednesday while travelling to Leeds from Kings Cross, but the train was bucking and swaying to the extent that it became difficult to type. So I apologise for this post being a bit out of sequence.The surname Cholmondoley seemed to lend itself to a limerick, but the best I could come up with was:A Beeb presenter named CholmondoleyHad an accent most polished and Colmondoley.He said: "If Auntie took risksI'd do Desert Isle Discs;But I can't, 'cos my name's not Roy Plolmondoley!"It reminded me of other limericks in similar vein:-There was a young lady of Wemyss,Who suffered from terrible dremyss.She'd wake in a frightIn dead of the night,And shake the bemyss of the house with her scremyss.Or,There once was a curate in Salisbury,*Whose manners were halisbury-scalisbury.He walked around HampshireWithout any pampshireUntil the Bishop told him to walisbury.* Clue: Salisbury used to be called something else.
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

mhoulden

Post by mhoulden »

I'm saying nothing. I went to school in Mytholmroyd.

Caron

Post by Caron »

Uno Hoo wrote: I was trying to contribute to this thread last Wednesday while travelling to Leeds from Kings Cross, but the train was bucking and swaying to the extent that it became difficult to type. So I apologise for this post being a bit out of sequence.The surname Cholmondoley seemed to lend itself to a limerick, but the best I could come up with was:A Beeb presenter named CholmondoleyHad an accent most polished and Colmondoley.He said: "If Auntie took risksI'd do Desert Isle Discs;But I can't, 'cos my name's not Roy Plolmondoley!"It reminded me of other limericks in similar vein:-There was a young lady of Wemyss,Who suffered from terrible dremyss.She'd wake in a frightIn dead of the night,And shake the bemyss of the house with her scremyss.Or,There once was a curate in Salisbury,*Whose manners were halisbury-scalisbury.He walked around HampshireWithout any pampshireUntil the Bishop told him to walisbury.* Clue: Salisbury used to be called something else. Hi Uno Hoo. It used to be named Old Sarum. It is a beautiful place. I certainly had trouble reading your limericks

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I wonder what is the correction pronunciation of Penistone?
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Caron

Post by Caron »

Leodian wrote: I wonder what is the correction pronunciation of Penistone? hahaha

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

[There once was a curate in Salisbury,*Whose manners were halisbury-scalisbury.He walked around HampshireWithout any pampshireUntil the Bishop told him to walisbury.* Clue: Salisbury used to be called something else.Hi Uno Hoo. It used to be named Old Sarum. It is a beautiful place. I certainly had trouble reading your limericks Forget the "Old" for the purposes of the limerick.

majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

Leodian wrote: I wonder what is the correction pronunciation of Penistone? See Scunthorpe