Places / Streets etc that sound nothing like they are spelled

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

Caron wrote: Leodian wrote: I wonder what is the correction pronunciation of Penistone? hahaha Perhaps someone in a North Lincolnshire steelworks town could enlighten you?
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Shrewsbury is pronounced Shrowsbury,by a lot of folk, so now whenever I see a Shrew I call it a Shrow.    
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Salop for Shropshire always baffled me......as did Cobham-pronounced Chobham ??????
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

Si

Post by Si »

somme1916 wrote: Salop for Shropshire always baffled me......as did Cobham-pronounced Chobham ?????? And HanTs for HamPshire.

Si

Post by Si »

Chrism wrote: Shrewsbury is pronounced Shrowsbury,by a lot of folk, so now whenever I see a Shrew I call it a Shrow.     At one time, show (as in to show someone something) could be spelt either SHOW or SHEW.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Si wrote: Chrism wrote: Shrewsbury is pronounced Shrowsbury,by a lot of folk, so now whenever I see a Shrew I call it a Shrow.     At one time, show (as in to show someone something) could be spelt either SHOW or SHEW. I seem to remember watching a TV programme last year where this came up (possibly Rivers with Griff Rhys Jones?) and it seems that there is a Welsh and an English pronunciation with the town being so close to the border. So technically either (Shrow or Shrew) is correct, but for partisan reasons the locals only use one version. Before you ask I can't remember which is which...On a related note if you ever go to Chester and look at the Town Hall, you will notice that the clock tower doesn't have a clock on the side facing Wales, as the burghers of the town saw no need to spend their money telling the Welsh the time when the tower was erected. Mind you, they also have a bylaw allowing " that a Welsh person found within the city walls after sunset can be shot with a crossbow"!
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

somme1916 wrote: Salop for Shropshire always baffled me? Me too, never got that until a mate moved there (then I wished I hadn't asked)...here goes:-Old English "Scrobbesbyrigscir" = "the shire with Shrewsbury at its head"But after 1066 the Normans struggled with this, so softening it to "Salopesberia" and "Salopescira".Salop is the abbreviation of these.1974 to 1980 Salop was its official administrative name, but it was then changed back to "Shropshire".Clear? Me neither.

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Jogon wrote: somme1916 wrote: Salop for Shropshire always baffled me? Me too, never got that until a mate moved there (then I wished I hadn't asked)...here goes:-Old English "Scrobbesbyrigscir" = "the shire with Shrewsbury at its head"But after 1066 the Normans struggled with this, so softening it to "Salopesberia" and "Salopescira".Salop is the abbreviation of these.1974 to 1980 Salop was its official administrative name, but it was then changed back to "Shropshire".Clear? Me neither. Err no,but it sounds plausible.I'd believe it !
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Wow this must be the longest a thread of mine has developed! And its still going so it seems! I only just came back on here for a quick look before I went to bed, and at 6 pages long I really shouldnt stay up trying to read it all through, I'll leave it for another day - keep 'em coming folks!
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

Patexpat

Post by Patexpat »

well as some of these place names are a little far removed from Leeds let me chuck in one local to me ... and that is the island of Phuket. Since tourism arrived it's pronounced politely as poo-ket ... but historically the correct pronunciation is indeed f....