Mill Hill

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

polo sorry no, I'm not being clear.they were on Mill Hill proper, next to the bookies just up from Prince of Wales Pub.

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

polo wrote: A restaurant in that small building? Its funny you say that it was only the other day i was talking to a friend and thought an ideal place for a cafe.So what a coincidence its already been used as a food est. I'm not sure which exact building you're referring to, polo, but Jogon is correct that Bibi's started out in Mill Hill and I think it's remained a restaurant ever since they moved out - at one time it was a Spanish restaurant called La Comida and now it's changed to La Conida:http://g.co/maps/qwrqrThe building where Bibi's moved to, in Greek Street, was previously Mario and Franco's La Terrazza in the 1960s - I think this was one of the very early examples of a "chain" restaurant in Leeds as the original was in Soho in London. Edited to add: yes Jogon, we agree on the location of the original Bibi's!

polo

Post by polo »

Ah sorry i get you now.Probably belongs in the thread i was just posting on (moved buildings)

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Tasa wrote: polo wrote: A restaurant in that small building? Its funny you say that it was only the other day i was talking to a friend and thought an ideal place for a cafe.So what a coincidence its already been used as a food est. I'm not sure which exact building you're referring to, polo, but Jogon is correct that Bibi's started out in Mill Hill and I think it's remained a restaurant ever since they moved out - at one time it was a Spanish restaurant called La Comida and now it's changed to La Conida:http://g.co/maps/qwrqrThe building where Bibi's moved to, in Greek Street, was previously Mario and Franco's La Terrazza in the 1960s - I think this was one of the very early examples of a "chain" restaurant in Leeds as the original was in Soho in London. Edited to add: yes Jogon, we agree on the location of the original Bibi's! There you go.... Bibis on Mill Hill - 1979http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIde ... SPLAY=FULL

polo

Post by polo »

FINALLY SUSSED IT !!! ive managed to answer my own question here the simple explanation is there was an UPPER MILL HILL that i never knew existed that ran behind the chapel it never made sense why it was named so when it was clearly a street or so away.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

polo wrote: FINALLY SUSSED IT !!! ive managed to answer my own question here the simple explanation is there was an UPPER MILL HILL that i never knew existed that ran behind the chapel it never made sense why it was named so when it was clearly a street or so away. PoloI read but didn't understand that? Sorry to be thick. I think "Mill Hill" (as was) crossed West Bar / Boar Lane (before the shopping centre).North of Boar Ln bit was Upper and it's South of was (not lower, just) Mill Hill. And this ran round the corner by the Mill meeting Swinegate lower down.Thought the back of chapel was confusingly Basinghall St.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

I would hazard a guess that Mill Hill was so called because it was a street that inclined and was at the side of the King's Mill. The fact there was an Upper Mill Hill seems to be a later addition when Boar Lane was re-modeled, and because it was the north side of Boar Lane was called upper/

polo

Post by polo »

WOW what a gem of a pic. Yeah i thought it was basinghall st or something so the basic answer is yes it did cross boar lane at one time . Real photo evidence of upper mill hill so im guessing bhs was built on upper mill hill wiping out the street ?

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Think so, yes.I thought it would be 1960's but somewhere said it was 1973