Mill Hill

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
polo

Post by polo »

Hi there this is my first ever post on here so i hope it goes ok (ive put off registering for 3-4 years but have been reading the threads for that long also so i am very familiar. It's a build up of a multitude of questions thats forced me to register).So i will start with this thats been bugging me for years now, does anyone know what mill in mill hill it refers to and furthermore why the unitarian chapel is also named so as it is not on mill hill. I was wondering did mill hill intersect boar lane at some point in history?Any info on this would be muchly appreciated thanks.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

polo wrote: Hi there this is my first ever post on here so i hope it goes ok (ive put off registering for 3-4 years but have been reading the threads for that long also so i am very familiar. It's a build up of a multitude of questions thats forced me to register).So i will start with this thats been bugging me for years now, does anyone know what mill in mill hill it refers to and furthermore why the unitarian chapel is also named so as it is not on mill hill. I was wondering did mill hill intersect boar lane at some point in history?Any info on this would be muchly appreciated thanks. It seems it was originally called Castle Hillhttp://books.google.co.th/books?id=4Da8AAAAIAAJ&pg=PA6&lpg=PA6&dq=mill+hill++leeds+why+called&source=bl&ots=7fWmsDlEIi&sig=OVFGXbEfUWntkfjSm9cQVZYRG_s&hl=en&sa=X&ei=HTpDT5qlD4OrrAfX-PTSBw&sqi=2&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=mill%20hill%20%20leeds%20why%20called&f=falseHistory of the Chapelhttp://www.millhillchapel.org.uk/chapel_history.htm

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Sorry for going off topic. How do you save a image from Old Maps. Thanks in anticipation

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Mill Hill led down to kings mill on swinegate, where the multistorey car park is now. The was the site of the first corn mill and subsequent mills until the ealy 1900s. The site was determined by the location of the leeds dam, now under the dark arches and the Swinegate goit. IIRC Mill hill extended further north until but was truncated about the tome of the Boar Lane redevelopment, might be wrong about that.For more info search for swinegate goit, dark arches, and Isle of cynde.

Si

Post by Si »

Hi Polo,Here's a map of the area c.1847. Note position of King's Mill, and "Site of Leeds Castle". There was a lot more water around there in those days!Mill Hill chapel is just off the top left hand corner.(Click on the red X to view.)    
Attachments
__TFMF_fgxmvfaud1ywawnjo5pqxx45_14375117-0107-44e0-a0d5-f7269d37c56b_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_fgxmvfaud1ywawnjo5pqxx45_14375117-0107-44e0-a0d5-f7269d37c56b_0_main.jpg (711.73 KiB) Viewed 4561 times

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

And before the building of victoria bridge and neville street, the traffic flows and importance of older roads was different.

polo

Post by polo »

Thankyou everyone for clearing that up. I was aware of the old castle site (nr scarborogh taps) but didnt know it was called castle hill. The map you provided is amazing thanks. I still think however though the site of the chapel is closer to boar lane/park row than mill hill to warrant its name.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Good one polo.I'd never really though of that. Names do give clues, like "Mill Garth" Police stn.

polo

Post by polo »

True then there is Quarry hill (obvious you'd think) maybe im looking in all the wrong places but i cant for the life of me find any ref to what type of quarry it was or when it closed (sorry if off topic)

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

On + off topic banter leads to some good finds.Lived in Leeds on&off since '60 and (until I came to SL) never knew about Scotland Mill, Weetwood Aqueduct, Eccup & the Blackmoor Tunnel not to mention philld's wonderful underground jaunt adel/meanwood beck outflow (under millgarth).http://youtu.be/Cecu5kyUf2M