Hunslet Engine Company Rugby Club

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
Chiron

Post by Chiron »

The Parksider wrote: Chiron wrote: Could Aubery Casewell have played for Hunslet EC during the war? He would been about 33 when they began playing wartime fixtures I don't know, it's possible!He certainly stepped forward to sort some sort of Rugby out when all the local clubs were folding due to the war...... I am not sure why he only played one season for Leeds - perhaps his career was ended by injury or by his job at Hunslet EC.Do you know how long Don Burnell played for Hunslet? Did he move to Batley in the late 40s?

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

[quotenick="Chiron"][quotenick="The Parksider"] Chiron wrote: Do you know how long Don Burnell played for Hunslet? Did he move to Batley in the late 40s? I haven't got definitive stats for the club (I can get them) but I do have plenty of information on Walter and Alf Burnell playing through the 40's and into the 50's, Walt getting a testimonial.I can't find Don mentioned anywhere, but I can find Aubrey Casewell having a good season for Hunslet 1940/41 scoring 9 tries......

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Chiron wrote: Could Aubery Casewell have played for Hunslet EC during the war? He would been about 33 when they began playing wartime fixtures I have found references to Casewell being signed by Hunslet in time for the cup games in the 1939/40 season. He is referred to as being one of the games bigest forwards (albeit at 6'1" hardly an Ian Kirke), and signed from Keighley. Most interestingly he's quoted as being welsh - bracketed with Ike Isaac and Illytd Williams.....Looks like he had union roots in wales and plenty of league roots here in the north and a lengthy playing career across both games. It may be Casewell was "found" a job at the engine company. I'd have no doubt he would have played - unless any injury had curtailed his career.A year later Oliver Morris was wanting a better job than being on the groundstaff, but there was nothing doing, so he went to Leeds for better money......

Chiron

Post by Chiron »

The Parksider wrote: Chiron wrote: Could Aubery Casewell have played for Hunslet EC during the war? He would been about 33 when they began playing wartime fixtures I have found references to Casewell being signed by Hunslet in time for the cup games in the 1939/40 season. He is referred to as being one of the games bigest forwards (albeit at 6'1" hardly an Ian Kirke), and signed from Keighley. Most interestingly he's quoted as being welsh - bracketed with Ike Isaac and Illytd Williams.....Looks like he had union roots in wales and plenty of league roots here in the north and a lengthy playing career across both games. It may be Casewell was "found" a job at the engine company. I'd have no doubt he would have played - unless any injury had curtailed his career.A year later Oliver Morris was wanting a better job than being on the groundstaff, but there was nothing doing, so he went to Leeds for better money...... Thanks for this info. I only found references to Aubery playing for Salford and Leeds, I didn't realise he had also played for Hunslet. Was it Don or Alf Burnell who signed for Hunslet from Hunslet Engine Company?I would like to acknowledge you in my book about Yorkshire Rugby Union in WW2, your info has added greatly to my paras on Hunslet EC.How should I acknowledge you?

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Chiron wrote: Thanks for this info. I only found references to Aubery playing for Salford and Leeds, I didn't realise he had also played for Hunslet. Was it Don or Alf Burnell who signed for Hunslet from Hunslet Engine Company?I would like to acknowledge you in my book about Yorkshire Rugby Union in WW2, your info has added greatly to my paras on Hunslet EC.How should I acknowledge you? Its always annoying when you provide info and photos and you don't get an aknowledgement. However you just asking me kindly as you have done is enough for me, so no need to put anything in your book....I'll dig for anything else I can, may take a few days.....

Chiron

Post by Chiron »

The Parksider wrote: Chiron wrote: Thanks for this info. I only found references to Aubery playing for Salford and Leeds, I didn't realise he had also played for Hunslet. Was it Don or Alf Burnell who signed for Hunslet from Hunslet Engine Company?I would like to acknowledge you in my book about Yorkshire Rugby Union in WW2, your info has added greatly to my paras on Hunslet EC.How should I acknowledge you? Its always annoying when you provide info and photos and you don't get an aknowledgement. However you just asking me kindly as you have done is enough for me, so no need to put anything in your book....I'll dig for anything else I can, may take a few days..... Thanks very much, anything else you find will be appreciated.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Chiron wrote: Was it Don or Alf Burnell who signed for Hunslet from Hunslet Engine Company? At the start of the 1944/5 season Aubrey Casewell left the HEC to become coach of Featherstone Rovers. Don Burnell signed for Hunslet around the same time. Jackie Fletcher and Sam sweeting also signed from HEC.I assume Casewell and the better players leaving, along with the loss of the use of Parkside was the catalyst for the demise of the club.Don Burnell met up again with Casewell as he debuted against Featherstone, and was also in the Hunslet team for the two-legged County Cup Final.He played 20 games in all that season, the following season 1945/46 he didn't play too many games, possible because Billy Thornton the veteran star half back returned to the club. Don went to Batley in time for the RL cup games. Frank Watson and Thornton played the halves in the cup run to the semi at headingleyDon Burnell went on to quickly become a Yorkshire County player.Thornton quickly retired after that but Vic Hey came to play in the halves and Ginger Burnell also came to the fore at half back and served the club for many years.....

Chiron

Post by Chiron »

The Parksider wrote: Chiron wrote: Was it Don or Alf Burnell who signed for Hunslet from Hunslet Engine Company? At the start of the 1944/5 season Aubrey Casewell left the HEC to become coach of Featherstone Rovers. Don Burnell signed for Hunslet around the same time. Jackie Fletcher and Sam sweeting also signed from HEC.I assume Casewell and the better players leaving, along with the loss of the use of Parkside was the catalyst for the demise of the club.Don Burnell met up again with Casewell as he debuted against Featherstone, and was also in the Hunslet team for the two-legged County Cup Final.He played 20 games in all that season, the following season 1945/46 he didn't play too many games, possible because Billy Thornton the veteran star half back returned to the club. Don went to Batley in time for the RL cup games. Frank Watson and Thornton played the halves in the cup run to the semi at headingleyDon Burnell went on to quickly become a Yorkshire County player.Thornton quickly retired after that but Vic Hey came to play in the halves and Ginger Burnell also came to the fore at half back and served the club for many years..... Excellent, thanks very much

Chiron

Post by Chiron »

My book about Yorkshire Rugby Union in World War Two called'Let Them Play By All Means' will be in print in March. Hunslet Engine Company is featured as are Roundhay and Headingley Old Boys, the other Leeds clubs that played right through the war. Thanks to everyone who contributed.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Chiron wrote: My book about Yorkshire Rugby Union in World War Two called'Let Them Play By All Means' will be in print in March. Hunslet Engine Company is featured as are Roundhay and Headingley Old Boys, the other Leeds clubs that played right through the war. Thanks to everyone who contributed. Great stuff. Are you going to get a few copies into the Leeds Civic Trust bookshop on Wharfe Street?