Street names

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
LS1

Post by LS1 »

I think the Recreation ground is still there, this is the bit of land between Top Moor Side, Holbeck Moor Road and the M621.This was the piece of land that was set out by the Leeds corporation for "recreational purposes".What you are refering to drapesy is Holbeck Moor as a whole, over which the Recreations and Colensos etc were built, and part was preserved.As for the cricket, I couldnt tell you which bit of thr land was used.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

LS1 wrote: I think the Recreation ground is still there, this is the bit of land between Top Moor Side, Holbeck Moor Road and the M621.This was the piece of land that was set out by the Leeds corporation for "recreational purposes".What you are refering to drapesy is Holbeck Moor as a whole, over which the Recreations and Colensos etc were built, and part was preserved.As for the cricket, I couldnt tell you which bit of thr land was used. The Recreation Ground is not "Still There" . It was a specific enclosed area used by Holbeck Cricket and Rugby Club. It was sold off for building land in the 1890's. The Club moved to a new ground on Elland Road with separate Football(Rugby) and Cricket Grounds either side of Lowfields Road opposite the Old Peacock.(These Grounds had been in existence for around 30 years and were sometimes used by Holbeck second teams before the move from the Recreation Ground. ) After the Holbeck Rugby Club folded in 1904 the football ground was taken over by Leeds City F.C. Holbeck Cricket Club played at the Lowfields Road ground until 1962.As you say the Recreation ground was part of the much larger Holbeck Moor , parts of which survive today - but the area covered by the Recreation Ground (behind the Waggon and Horses - bounded by Top Moor side to the east, Brown lane to North and approx line of Cleveleys Ave to the west) has been completely built on - mainly, as I originally said, by the 'Recreation' streets.Below is an extract from the 'Cricket Grounds of Yorkshire' (1994) used with permission of the author and attached is a picture of part of the site (Recreation Terrace)I took in 2003.HOLBECK RECREATION GROUNDSE 290319    The first references to cricket in Holbeck appear in the early 1840’s, when games are known to have been played on Holbeck Moor (a small portion of which survives to the present day). By the end of the decade Holbeck were developing into a strong side, in the context of Leeds cricket at that time, and had acquired an enclosed ground in the Beeston Hill area. The club hosted a visit by the All-England XI against a Leeds and District XXII in 1858.    Before the 1864 season the club negotiated the lease on a new larger ground – a portion of Holbeck Moor that belonged to Mr. Meynell Ingram, and set about turning it into a major cricket ground. This was a facility much needed in the Leeds area due to the continuing decline of the old Victoria Ground. The site chosen was on the western edge of the Moor, bounded by Brown Lane to the north.    The first game at the ‘New Recreation Ground’ to have been traced was between the Holbeck C.C. and Morley Nelson C.C. on 11th June 1864 but it was over a year until the ground had its “official” opening when a Leeds and District XXII hosted the United All-England XI. Within three years the ground was used by Yorkshire for the “Roses” fixture, but a disappointingly weak Lancashire side were easily beaten within two days.    Yorkshire were not to visit the ground again until the 1880’s when the Holbeck Club (who had added a rugby section to the existing cricket and bowling clubs by this time) made a concerted effort to host regular First-class cricket. Facilities were never ideal however, and the development of Headingley dealt a crushing blow to the club’s aspirations. In addition to hosting topclass cricket and rugby (including Yorkshire Cup finals and county games) the ground saw some of the first attempts in interesting the rugby-loving Leeds sports fan in the Association code.    Despite negotiating a new ten-year lease with the Meynell Ingram estate in the winter of 1891/92 the club were finding the demands of rugby and cricket to be too much for the playing area. Unable to acquire the extra land to be able to separate the cricket and rugby grounds the club looked for an alternative site. This was found half- a-mile along Elland Road where the Holbeck club took over the existing rugby and cricket grounds of the ‘Old Peacock Hotel’, and left the Recreation Ground, in 1897.    Holbeck’s rugby section did not survive for long and their ground was taken over for association football – firstly by Leeds City F.C. and subsequently Leeds United F.C.- developing into the present day Elland Road stadium. The cricket ground was on the opposite side of Lowfields Road to the football ground -behind the ‘New Peacock’ public house. Holbeck Cricket Club survived into the 1960’s when, at a time that the club was by probably the best in Leeds, a lack of people to administrate its organisation led to it being wound up. This cricket ground and the ‘New Peacock’ have both since vanished in the face of road developments.    The site of the old ‘Recrie’ ground, as it was nicknamed, is still covered by the late-Victorian development of tightly-packed back-to-back houses. The names of several of these streets, Recreation View, Terrace, Row etc., bear witness to the old ground’s existence.    
Attachments
__TFMF_savdx1550xml4fb1ulle5n45_0bdcf608-60c0-408f-b265-4a4bbc924f5e_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_savdx1550xml4fb1ulle5n45_0bdcf608-60c0-408f-b265-4a4bbc924f5e_0_main.jpg (169.94 KiB) Viewed 1897 times
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

rangieowner wrote: the battle you mentioned was at cock beck near john smeaton school 'the battle of winwaed' hence the names of the streets refering to penda : pendas way and the penwells in stanks named after a well from which king penda drank!! Thats what Mr Etherington (my old history teacher) taught me, too.In fact, the area of Stanks gets it's name from the whiff of dead bodies following the battle. Which is nice.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

LS1

Post by LS1 »

drapesy wrote: LS1 wrote: I think the Recreation ground is still there, this is the bit of land between Top Moor Side, Holbeck Moor Road and the M621.This was the piece of land that was set out by the Leeds corporation for "recreational purposes".What you are refering to drapesy is Holbeck Moor as a whole, over which the Recreations and Colensos etc were built, and part was preserved.As for the cricket, I couldnt tell you which bit of thr land was used. The Recreation Ground is not "Still There" . It was a specific enclosed area used by Holbeck Cricket and Rugby Club. It was sold off for building land in the 1890's. The Club moved to a new ground on Elland Road with separate Football(Rugby) and Cricket Grounds either side of Lowfields Road opposite the Old Peacock.(These Grounds had been in existence for around 30 years and were sometimes used by Holbeck second teams before the move from the Recreation Ground. ) After the Holbeck Rugby Club folded in 1904 the football ground was taken over by Leeds City F.C. Holbeck Cricket Club played at the Lowfields Road ground until 1962.As you say the Recreation ground was part of the much larger Holbeck Moor , parts of which survive today - but the area covered by the Recreation Ground (behind the Waggon and Horses - bounded by Top Moor side to the east, Brown lane to North and approx line of Cleveleys Ave to the west) has been completely built on - mainly, as I originally said, by the 'Recreation' streets.Below is an extract from the 'Cricket Grounds of Yorkshire' (1994) used with permission of the author and attached is a picture of part of the site (Recreation Terrace)I took in 2003.HOLBECK RECREATION GROUNDSE 290319    The first references to cricket in Holbeck appear in the early 1840’s, when games are known to have been played on Holbeck Moor (a small portion of which survives to the present day). By the end of the decade Holbeck were developing into a strong side, in the context of Leeds cricket at that time, and had acquired an enclosed ground in the Beeston Hill area. The club hosted a visit by the All-England XI against a Leeds and District XXII in 1858.    Before the 1864 season the club negotiated the lease on a new larger ground – a portion of Holbeck Moor that belonged to Mr. Meynell Ingram, and set about turning it into a major cricket ground. This was a facility much needed in the Leeds area due to the continuing decline of the old Victoria Ground. The site chosen was on the western edge of the Moor, bounded by Brown Lane to the north.    The first game at the ‘New Recreation Ground’ to have been traced was between the Holbeck C.C. and Morley Nelson C.C. on 11th June 1864 but it was over a year until the ground had its “official” opening when a Leeds and District XXII hosted the United All-England XI. Within three years the ground was used by Yorkshire for the “Roses” fixture, but a disappointingly weak Lancashire side were easily beaten within two days.    Yorkshire were not to visit the ground again until the 1880’s when the Holbeck Club (who had added a rugby section to the existing cricket and bowling clubs by this time) made a concerted effort to host regular First-class cricket. Facilities were never ideal however, and the development of Headingley dealt a crushing blow to the club’s aspirations. In addition to hosting topclass cricket and rugby (including Yorkshire Cup finals and county games) the ground saw some of the first attempts in interesting the rugby-loving Leeds sports fan in the Association code.    Despite negotiating a new ten-year lease with the Meynell Ingram estate in the winter of 1891/92 the club were finding the demands of rugby and cricket to be too much for the playing area. Unable to acquire the extra land to be able to separate the cricket and rugby grounds the club looked for an alternative site. This was found half- a-mile along Elland Road where the Holbeck club took over the existing rugby and cricket grounds of the ‘Old Peacock Hotel’, and left the Recreation Ground, in 1897.    Holbeck’s rugby section did not survive for long and their ground was taken over for association football – firstly by Leeds City F.C. and subsequently Leeds United F.C.- developing into the present day Elland Road stadium. The cricket ground was on the opposite side of Lowfields Road to the football ground -behind the ‘New Peacock’ public house. Holbeck Cricket Club survived into the 1960’s when, at a time that the club was by probably the best in Leeds, a lack of people to administrate its organisation led to it being wound up. This cricket ground and the ‘New Peacock’ have both since vanished in the face of road developments.    The site of the old ‘Recrie’ ground, as it was nicknamed, is still covered by the late-Victorian development of tightly-packed back-to-back houses. The names of several of these streets, Recreation View, Terrace, Row etc., bear witness to the old ground’s existence.     Perhaps I should have made myself clearer. In terms of recreation ground I was refering to land that was designated as parkland, such as Cross Flatts Park, Hunslet Moor, etc etc by the Leeds Corporation. This is the bit of land that still exists, and is highlited in red on the google map i've attached. I think that the land for the cricket and rugby club, although classed as the rec. was not for 'anybody' to use as it was reserved for these pastimes, much as the tennis courts and bowling green are at Roundhay today. Straying of the thread a bit here, but if you go to the library there are in fact minutes of the parks comittee that go well into the C20th that discuss Holbeck Moor Rec. and it's upkeep (of lack of). This was at a time where Leeds had clung on the to the fact that building parks was a hughe boost for Civic Pride, and not only acted as the lungs of the city, but were intended to make opther cuch cities as Manchester and Birkenhead (with their famous parks) jealous. The majority of park creation was undertaken in the 1880s and 1890's, and there is no evidence recreational space was completely removed from Holbeck as I have mentioned with Corporation minutes. However Park, Recreation Ground, Playground etc were all interchangable terms to describe what we would call a park today, and do not always give an indication of size or facilities.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

PC went mad when I tried to add the pic. here it is....

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Hmm, for some reason I cant add the picture. I'll try it later on.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Oh dear, I keep getting server errors and multiple posts .    

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

There was an item on Radio Leeds this week about unusual West Yorkshire street names, apparently there are streets called "Solid" and "Cake" in Huddersfield.This set me wondering about "Branch End" at Gildersome - at the junction of Asquith Avenue and Gelderd Road, and where the name originated.For that matter I live in the Troy area of Morley which also seems fairly unusual.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Bramley4woods

Post by Bramley4woods »

Trojan wrote: There was an item on Radio Leeds this week about unusual West Yorkshire street names, apparently there are streets called "Solid" and "Cake" in Huddersfield.This set me wondering about "Branch End" at Gildersome - at the junction of Asquith Avenue and Gelderd Road, and where the name originated.For that matter I live in the Troy area of Morley which also seems fairly unusual. Asquith Avenue is relatively recent, 1930s I think.Presumably until Asquith Avenue was built "Branch End" did indeed end there at the junction with the Gelderd Road.
We wanted to make Leeds a better place for the future - but we're losing it. The tide is going out beneath our feet.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Bramley4woods wrote: Trojan wrote: There was an item on Radio Leeds this week about unusual West Yorkshire street names, apparently there are streets called "Solid" and "Cake" in Huddersfield.This set me wondering about "Branch End" at Gildersome - at the junction of Asquith Avenue and Gelderd Road, and where the name originated.For that matter I live in the Troy area of Morley which also seems fairly unusual. Asquith Avenue is relatively recent, 1930s I think.Presumably until Asquith Avenue was built "Branch End" did indeed end there at the junction with the Gelderd Road. There's older than thirties property on Asquith Ave. At the Victoria Road end and at Horsfall Street. Although Asquith was PM in the early twentieth century.
Industria Omnia Vincit