Street names

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
Brandy

Post by Brandy »

what about killingbeck?? anybody got any idea about that?
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Croggy

Post by Croggy »

Taken from http://www.bbc.co.uk/leeds/content/arti ... shtml"Many years ago the area which is now the Seacroft Estate was marshland. A stream (or beck) ran by the side of what became the hospital site. In the year 663 AD King Penda of Mercia ruled here – his headquarters were at Barwick–in–Elmet. There was a battle between King Penda and King Edwin of Northumbria in which Penda was killed, and his body was washed away in the beck. All Edwin’s prisoners were executed by the beck – hence the name Killingbeck.Another story is that during the Civil War in 1642, the Battle of Seacroft Moor, which started in Whinmoor and moved along to Seacroft, caused the water in the beck to run with blood for seven days.Less dramatic theories are that Killingbeck received its name from one of the first farmers of the land – Cylla, or that the name originated from Kil(n), a Saxon word for corn–drying. In 1335 there is a first reference to a William de Killingbeck. The family were prominent in Leeds for generations – John Killingbeck was Mayor of Leeds in 1677, and Vicar of Leeds in 1712. "

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

the battle you mentioned was at cock beck near john smeaton school 'the battle of winwaed' hence the names of the streets refering to penda : pendas way and the penwells in stanks named after a well from which king penda drank!!
Love a Landrover

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

also not sure penda ruled here either! i'm sure i read somewhere that the Elmete of Barwick was independant and penda and edwin were here as a guest of the ruling lord in conciliation talks! i'll check that!!
Love a Landrover

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

right! penda beat edwin and ruled for 20 years then penda was killed in said battle by oswiu of northumbria! now that's cleared up, back to thread !
Love a Landrover

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

rangieowner wrote: right! penda beat edwin and ruled for 20 years then penda was killed in said battle by oswiu of northumbria! now that's cleared up, back to thread ! only because the cowardly norwegians that had come to help him,turned against him instead.the remains of there fortifications are in gipton woods.penda was the last of the pagen kings too........back to thread-
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

Martyn

Post by Martyn »

LS1 wrote: The Oatlands in Little London/ Meanwood Road area sound like they have something to do with Capt. Oates who resided round here at one point apparently. Is there any truth in this at all? The Oates family lived at various times in the area round Denby Dale and Captain Oates lived for a while at Ivy Cottage on Green Road at Meanwood.I'm not sure his name would have had anything to do with 'Oatlands' it was called that a long time before he was famous.That was the area where General Wade's army camped on their way to quell the Jacobites.Maybe that was where oats were grown?
http://www.siddles.me.ukYou can take a horse to water but a pencil must be lead.Stan Laurel.

Blossom

Post by Blossom »

In answer to LS1's query about the Canadian Estate:In, I think, the early Twenties Sir John Barran (known then as the manufacturer of superb raincoats), sold a tract of land from his estate between Gledhow Lane and Gledhow Park Drive and it was developed for housing where all streets had Canadian names. Sir John`s wife was a Canadian. I met my future husband when he, with some thirty members of the R.C.A.F., were billeted with householders in this Canadian Estate in 1941 as they had radio training that made them candidates for learning about the new and very "hush-hush" Radar at the Leeds Technical College in W.W.2.    I grew up in Chapel Allerton, became a warbride and have resided on the Pacific Coast of British Columbia for two thirds of my life never forgetting or losing my interest in my beginnings and local history. I hope this information answers the question I learned about from a friend in Leeds. Incidentally, "Montreal Place" is incorrect -- it should be "Montreal Avenue".A cinema, now gone, was built at the junction of Montreal Avenue, Church Lane and Harrogate Road and was called "The Dominion".

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Blossom wrote: In answer to LS1's query about the Canadian Estate:In, I think, the early Twenties Sir John Barran (known then as the manufacturer of superb raincoats), sold a tract of land from his estate between Gledhow Lane and Gledhow Park Drive and it was developed for housing where all streets had Canadian names. Sir John`s wife was a Canadian. I met my future husband when he, with some thirty members of the R.C.A.F., were billeted with householders in this Canadian Estate in 1941 as they had radio training that made them candidates for learning about the new and very "hush-hush" Radar at the Leeds Technical College in W.W.2.    I grew up in Chapel Allerton, became a warbride and have resided on the Pacific Coast of British Columbia for two thirds of my life never forgetting or losing my interest in my beginnings and local history. I hope this information answers the question I learned about from a friend in Leeds. Incidentally, "Montreal Place" is incorrect -- it should be "Montreal Avenue".A cinema, now gone, was built at the junction of Montreal Avenue, Church Lane and Harrogate Road and was called "The Dominion". Incidentally whoever named these streets dropped a clanger with the naming as there is an "Alaska Place". Alaska isn't in Canada and never has been - it's part of the U.S.A.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Thanks for the answer, I guess then it was in tribute to Barran that they were so called. Realise there is no Montreal place, I just thought of the names at random and should have consulted the map first!