Street names

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
Leodian

Re: Street names

Post by Leodian »

That's very interesting blackprince. There seems to be plenty of places and streets that were presumably run by him or named after him. These may therefore include Beckett's Bank on Park Row (I think that bank is now a Wetherspoon's), Beckett Wing at St. James Hospital, Beckett Park, Leeds Beckett University (if that is its name now as I get lost with the name changes of Universities in Leeds) and several streets.

PS. The name Street Lane always intrigues and amuses me. According to a list of street names in Leeds there are 3 'Street Lane' in the LS postcode area.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

a bit off the beaten track
This is one of my favourite street names - its next to a friends house in Stockport.
Attachments
Passage2.jpg
Passage2.jpg (59.69 KiB) Viewed 15261 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

That made me giggle a lot warringtonrhino :lol:.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Leodian wrote:That's very interesting blackprince. There seems to be plenty of places and streets that were presumably run by him or named after him. These may therefore include Beckett's Bank on Park Row (I think that bank is now a Wetherspoon's), Beckett Wing at St. James Hospital, Beckett Park, Leeds Beckett University (if that is its name now as I get lost with the name changes of Universities in Leeds) and several streets.

PS. The name Street Lane always intrigues and amuses me. According to a list of street names in Leeds there are 3 'Street Lane' in the LS postcode area.
and theres the now hidden, but well worth seeking out ,Beckett monument in Meanwood Park.A huge obelisk hidden behind trees, but originally planned to be visible for a long way off.The trees have now grown and obscure it from view unless you know how to find it.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Natpup

Post by Natpup »

I was born on Mistress Lane in Armley in 1967. It is the only Mistress Lane in the whole of the UK. I have been trying to find out for years why it is called Mistress Lane. It could be called that after the Lord of the Manor's wife but I'm not sure. I would really like to know.

jim

Post by jim »

School mistress?

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Natpup wrote:I was born on Mistress Lane in Armley in 1967. It is the only Mistress Lane in the whole of the UK. I have been trying to find out for years why it is called Mistress Lane. It could be called that after the Lord of the Manor's wife but I'm not sure. I would really like to know.

Could it have been meant to be Christmas Lane and someone unfortunately had a hair lip.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Natpup wrote:I was born on Mistress Lane in Armley in 1967. It is the only Mistress Lane in the whole of the UK. I have been trying to find out for years why it is called Mistress Lane. It could be called that after the Lord of the Manor's wife but I'm not sure. I would really like to know.
This is how it appears on the Tithe Map. Not sure what it says ?

http://tithemaps.leeds.gov.uk/LargeMap. ... L1&tabR=R8
Mistress  Lane.png
Mistress Lane.png (29.7 KiB) Viewed 14885 times

jim

Post by jim »

When magnified to double, it clearly says "Mistress Lane"

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

1888 map of Armley, no idea though as to why it was called that particular name.
Attachments
Mistress Lane Armley 1888.jpg
Mistress Lane Armley 1888.jpg (748.3 KiB) Viewed 14870 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?