Street names

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
stevief

Post by stevief »

How did the Haddon Hall aquire its name? I believe there's a Haddon Hall in Derbyshire but what's the connection with my nearest pub.Also there's a street in Yeadon called Football.It's easy to find,there's a huge football painted on the gable end.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Blossom wrote: In answer to LS1's query about the Canadian Estate:In, I think, the early Twenties Sir John Barran (known then as the manufacturer of superb raincoats), sold a tract of land from his estate between Gledhow Lane and Gledhow Park Drive and it was developed for housing where all streets had Canadian names. Sir John`s wife was a Canadian. I met my future husband when he, with some thirty members of the R.C.A.F., were billeted with householders in this Canadian Estate in 1941 as they had radio training that made them candidates for learning about the new and very "hush-hush" Radar at the Leeds Technical College in W.W.2.    I grew up in Chapel Allerton, became a warbride and have resided on the Pacific Coast of British Columbia for two thirds of my life never forgetting or losing my interest in my beginnings and local history. I hope this information answers the question I learned about from a friend in Leeds. Incidentally, "Montreal Place" is incorrect -- it should be "Montreal Avenue".A cinema, now gone, was built at the junction of Montreal Avenue, Church Lane and Harrogate Road and was called "The Dominion". For the record the streets that comprise the Dominion Estate are:Dominion AvenueCalgary PlaceMontreal AvenueOttawa PlaceToronto PlaceOntario PlaceEdmonton PlaceRegina DriveVancouver PlaceManitoba Place Alberta AvenueWinnipeg Place and (in error)Alaska PlaceIn addition the flats built on the site of the Dominion Cinema/Bingo Hall are named Dominion Close.Almost as startling as the mistake in using the name'Alaska' is the fact that 'Quebec' has been overlooked.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

startling or just another example of Anglo-Franco friction. ;-)I suppose reference to Halifax might have been mistaken for the more local one after which it is named but also missing are St-johns, Fredricton, Charlottetown. Vancouver should really have been Victoria and if we go to Territories we are missing Yellowknife, Whitehorse and whatever the capital of the nunavut territory is
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

LS1

Post by LS1 »

I was wondering today, about the old street signs we had in Leeds .Nowadays thery are the white ones that are almost printed, and before theis there are the cast iron white and black ones. Also seen some old ones that were cast iron but without the fancy line going around the edge of the sign to enclose the letters.Then some have the postal distict, IE LS1, LS2, etc on them and some dont.Some are blue tin like ones that I think are very early. Some also have different coloured letters to the black.I was wondering if anyone knew when they changed them from the blue to the white, and then added the post districts on them, sort of "The Development of the Street Sign in Leeds"p.s. then there are the ones in the centre, like the Park Row one on Sports cafe that are in a frame and look like they are transfer printed

stevief

Post by stevief »

LS1 wrote: I was wondering today, about the old street signs we had in Leeds .Nowadays thery are the white ones that are almost printed, and before theis there are the cast iron white and black ones. Also seen some old ones that were cast iron but without the fancy line going around the edge of the sign to enclose the letters.Then some have the postal distict, IE LS1, LS2, etc on them and some dont.Some are blue tin like ones that I think are very early. Some also have different coloured letters to the black.I was wondering if anyone knew when they changed them from the blue to the white, and then added the post districts on them, sort of "The Development of the Street Sign in Leeds"p.s. then there are the ones in the centre, like the Park Row one on Sports cafe that are in a frame and look like they are transfer printed Someone enquired about blue enamel street signs in the 'Signs and Symbols' thread.Here's one from the top of my street.
Attachments
__TFMF_pom40jy2biutkw55wrconpeo_68287314-e747-4baf-8e41-548e447c0e7d_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_pom40jy2biutkw55wrconpeo_68287314-e747-4baf-8e41-548e447c0e7d_0_main.jpg (62.92 KiB) Viewed 2077 times

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Wow, thats in a right state!

chomic

Post by chomic »

Why is the bridge on Wyther Lane known as 'Amen Corner'?

Si

Post by Si »

Dunno, but there are Amen Corners in several British cities. The one in Newcastle (by the castle) springs to mind. It was also the name of a 60s Welsh band fronted by Andy Fairweather-Low. (If Paradise Is Half As Nice, High In The Sky, Bend Me Shape Me, etc.)

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

I think the name 'Amen Corner' came into being on dangerous, blind corners - implying that you 'say a prayer' when you go round that you wont hit anything coming the other way!
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

I heard somewhere that it is called Amen corner as it is the place furthest from Kirkstall Abbey where you could still hear the monks praying.Does anyone have any idea about Mistress Lane in Armley? I lived there from '65 - '77 and have always wondered about it. There is no Mistress Road, avenue, street, crescent etc etc etc. Was it a local place for ladies of the night???
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.