Street names

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
Loiner in Cyprus

Post by Loiner in Cyprus »

weenie wrote: Does any one remember Lamb hill in Armley? me mam says she used to live there wi me sisters before i was born nr Ledgard Way. My wife was brought up on Salisbury Road less than 100 yards from Lamb Hill opposite the Sammy Leggard Garage. The things I remember, from the late sixties early seventies, when I first met my wife was the tyre garage at the bottom of Lamb Hill and the horrible smell of the Yeast Vite factory

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

weenie wrote: crab lane is still there its the road going down town street to stanningley road ...aye I know it's still there, but why Crab Lane??    
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Loiner in Cyprus wrote: weenie wrote: Does any one remember Lamb hill in Armley? me mam says she used to live there wi me sisters before i was born nr Ledgard Way. My wife was brought up on Salisbury Road less than 100 yards from Lamb Hill opposite the Sammy Leggard Garage. The things I remember, from the late sixties early seventies, when I first met my wife was the tyre garage at the bottom of Lamb Hill and the horrible smell of the Yeast Vite factory We used to live in the maisonettes on Mistress Lane and I remember the Yeast factory smell too, a lot worse in summer.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

graynut

Post by graynut »

The name Pitfall could well be derived from the many bell pits that were scattered in the areas to both sides of Call Lane during the middle ages and prior to any industrialised development. At some stage, and possibly prior to any mills being built on this site, a gentleman call Sorrocold (not too sure of the spelling) constructed the towns first pumped, piped water supply. During excavations for redevelopment several years ago traces of the pump works were discovered. I managed to photograph the remains but they were destroyed before an official photographer could capture them.I seem to think that Sorrocold's water works were superseded by a towns supply fed by gravity from a reservoir off the present day Merion Street on the site of the 'garden of rest'.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

[quotenick="graynut At some stage, and possibly prior to any mills being built on this site, a gentleman call Sorrocold (not too sure of the spelling) constructed the towns first pumped, piped water supply. During excavations for redevelopment several years ago traces of the pump works were discovered. I managed to photograph the remains but they were destroyed before an official photographer could capture them.I seem to think that Sorrocold's water works were superseded by a towns supply fed by gravity from a reservoir off the present day Merion Street on the site of the 'garden of rest'. His name was George Sorocold -there's a link to wikipedia here;http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Sorocold
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Loiner in Cyprus wrote: weenie wrote: Does any one remember Lamb hill in Armley? me mam says she used to live there wi me sisters before i was born nr Ledgard Way. My wife was brought up on Salisbury Road less than 100 yards from Lamb Hill opposite the Sammy Leggard Garage. The things I remember, from the late sixties early seventies, when I first met my wife was the tyre garage at the bottom of Lamb Hill and the horrible smell of the Yeast Vite factory The new road "Ledgard Way" was of course built over what had been Lamb Hill and area and was named as a tribute to Sammy the bus proprietor. As you drive round a right hand bend on the way down from Armley Road, there is a large grass slope on your left. At the top of this slope there remains the gateway to the rooftop parking area on top of the massive Ledgard garage, the rest of which has totally disappeared of course.Pictures here of the gateway and rear boundary wall (my colour picture) and an aerial one of the garage in its heyday - the entrance to the garage proper at the bottom of Lamb Hill is beneath the white beam with a black notice in the middle - the notice read "Samuel Ledgard - licensed petroleum spirit store."Older assorted premises just off the bottom of the picture held the tyre store and garages for several coaches, along with offices fronting onto 216 Armley Road on top.    
Attachments
__TFMF_bexikc45m1kuie55vrll4obt_ad99f9a7-279c-4ae1-b2b6-9bb2aea4d1d7_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_bexikc45m1kuie55vrll4obt_ad99f9a7-279c-4ae1-b2b6-9bb2aea4d1d7_0_main.jpg (140.79 KiB) Viewed 1655 times
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Sorry about duplication - here is picture of remaining "silent tribute" gateway and boundary wall - the newer bricks have filled in the gateway, whic is shown open on the black and white picture.    
Attachments
__TFMF_bexikc45m1kuie55vrll4obt_cb0a5804-2a14-4881-916d-0c51357ac057_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_bexikc45m1kuie55vrll4obt_cb0a5804-2a14-4881-916d-0c51357ac057_0_main.jpg (120.18 KiB) Viewed 1655 times
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Leeds-lad

Post by Leeds-lad »

Hi Blakey.You won't believe this but I just posted About Lamb Hill on the Lost Loos thread.Believe it or not I posted that before I looked at this thread. Uncanny or what?
"always expect the unexpected"

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Leeds-lad wrote: Hi Blakey.You won't believe this but I just posted About Lamb Hill on the Lost Loos thread.Believe it or not I posted that before I looked at this thread. Uncanny or what? UnCANNY! Loos - geddit I'll get me coat.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Leeds-lad

Post by Leeds-lad »

Used to play on Old Row at the side of Ledgards,used to climb into Roberts factory and have snowball fights with the Asbestos dust.Get your hands wet through, from water which was in drums all over the place, and mould asbestos like big dumplings.We used to get absolutely covered in it.                                             The smell from Phillips Yeast factory always reminded me of my Clock School days.                                             By the way if any of you have Gold fishThe Flakey Stuff you buy for their food was also made at Phillips,a chap I knew called Joe Holgate (sadly died many years ago) once gave me a bag of this Multi-coloured flake,the bag was so big it would have fed every Goldfish in Leeds for 20 years.
"always expect the unexpected"