Breakwater Passage

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Sorry-meant to ask earlier, if anyone can post anold map compared to a recent one - overlay? just topinpoint where the location might be.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

liits

Post by liits »

dogduke wrote: Sorry-meant to ask earlier, if anyone can post anold map compared to a recent one - overlay? just topinpoint where the location might be. When I'm sober, [sometime Saturday] I'll post you an overlay of the 1908 map on ggoogle earth if it helps,

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

[quotenick="liits"] dogduke wrote: Sorry-meant to ask earlier, if anyone can post anold map compared to a recent one - overlay? just topinpoint where the location might be. When I'm sober, [sometime Saturday] I'll post you an overlay of the 1908 map on ggoogle earth if it helps, [/quoteI'll ave what you are drinking !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

dogduke wrote: Thank you to everyone who responded.I have to be honest after having lived around the perimeter of the area for most of my life I have never heard of Breakwater Passage.To hear it as a focal point for local traffic news isamazing.If the combined efforts of Secret Leeds contributorshave to resort in the main to history how is this a viablefocal point when you are stuck in traffic on 'THE A61'in 2010 ?Known locally - I don't think so. Listening to the travel news on Radio Leeds (see other thread!), you need to develop a sixth sense to figure out when many of the hold ups are.They frequently refer to congestion on the 'Ingram Distributor at Elland' (methinks they mean where it meets Elland Road, also known as Junction 2 of the M621), or the 'M62 at Newmarket' - which is the exit for Rothwell and Oulton.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

liits

Post by liits »

Benson Street with the Eagle at the junction of North Street and the long gone Breakwater Hotel.
Attachments
__TFMF_twrkyffpoque1v55fnleql55_7ceca42d-a605-4f9c-ab02-3dabaa3613b5_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_twrkyffpoque1v55fnleql55_7ceca42d-a605-4f9c-ab02-3dabaa3613b5_0_main.jpg (300.25 KiB) Viewed 2875 times

electricaldave

Post by electricaldave »

The thing that comes across in these overlays is how buildings are very much more temporary than roads.I seems to take much more effort to change a road than it does even to demolish a building, and even the individaul plots seem to last longer than the buildings upon them.I know this area, especially around the junction did undergo uge changes, but its still surprising when you imagine how it used to be that so much of the original layout remains.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

wonder if the proximity to Meanwood/Carr/Gipton Becks junction is significant?

LS1

Post by LS1 »

This is also pre-sheepscar street south, which was build about 1929 I think.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi everyone,I was brought up in Woodhouse, in the 50's and 60's, and all of the local people referred to the junction of North Street/Sheepscar Street/Meanwood Road/etc., as the 'Golden Cross Junction' because of the name of the Golden Cross pub which stood there. Similarly, the junction of Meanwood Road and Buslingthorpe Lane was always called the 'Primrose Junction' because of the Primrose pub.Ian

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

and its still the Woodpecker junction at the bottom of York Road long after the pub has gone.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/