Origin of names

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
jan8

Post by jan8 »

Hi, Just joined and this is my first attempt at posting a message - hope I do it right.We were discussing names and places at home and I wondered if anyone has any idea where / what Lidget comes from or is (as in Lidget Lane). It seems to be a mostly northern word .Its a really interesting site by the way. :-)
Yorkshire born & bred. All opinions are my own !

simon2710

Post by simon2710 »

Hi Jan8 and welcome to the evergrowing secretleeds website! Congratualtions for your first post...... Would like to know myself actually as i just live off Lidgett Lane.
Simon -H-

Martyn

Post by Martyn »

I think the name Lidget will be a corruption of Lyd Gate. There are a lot of Lyd Gates outside churches , it means a covered gate or a gate with a lid. The original meaning of gate was a road or path and these gates were used to secure the road against cattle or were sometimes for collecting tolls.Found the following on t'web."A.J. Howcroft defines 'Lidyate' as being 'Lyed-yate', lyed from the Anglo-Saxon 'hlid', a cover, protection, and the Icelandic 'hlith', a gate or wicket. 'Yate' meant a road', and Lyed Yate was a lifting or swinging gate securing the road against cattle, or a toll or tythe collecting gate."
http://www.siddles.me.ukYou can take a horse to water but a pencil must be lead.Stan Laurel.

Beefish

Post by Beefish »

Surely it's "lych gate" not "lyd gate"? Lych means corpse and a lych gate was a gateway where the coffin rested before a funeral.

Si

Post by Si »

I'm assuming Pudsey comes under Leeds these days, but does anyone know the origin of Richard Shaw Lane? And why is it pronounced "rikkuh-shuh lane?" It's a continuation of Lidgett Hill, but there is no church nearby.CheersSi

oldleedsman

Post by oldleedsman »

Beefish wrote: Surely it's "lych gate" not "lyd gate"? Lych means corpse and a lych gate was a gateway where the coffin rested before a funeral. One definition for the surname Lidgate can be found at:http://www.surnamedb.com/surname.aspx?name=Lidgateand seems to tie in with your view Nick.