Leodis/Loidis

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Cant find anything like Leeds or Holbeck on the continent.Anyone else had a go?
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Si

Post by Si »

Trojan wrote: Briggy wrote: Just to throw another couple of theories into the pot, this is what the goold old Annals of Leeds, published in 1860, makes of the origin of the city name:"Leeds is supposed by Thoresby to be derivedfrom the British "cair hid colt", a town in the wood; by Bedefrom the first Saxon possessor named Loidi, others supposei t to be derived from our German ancestors, as there is atown called Leeds, on the river Dender in Austria Flanders,near which is the village of Holbeck. Briggate, the Bridgegate,—Kirkgate, the Church-gate,—Swinegate, so calledfrom leading to a beck or stream where those animals werewashed." There are Briggates and Kirkgates in many northern towns though, there's a Briggate in Bradford and there's certainly a Kirkgate in Wakey. There's a village called Holbeck in Notts - on the road from the M1 (jct 30) to Newark. I must admit I've never seen another Swinegate. Ponte has a "Beastfair" though     There's a Kirkgate in Otley, and also a Hol Beck just east of the town, which flows off the Chevin under Leeds Road.

Briggy

Post by Briggy »

cnosni wrote: Cant find anything like Leeds or Holbeck on the continent.Anyone else had a go? I wonder if this could be it:http://www.imca-slotracing.com/SS1.htmThe three waterways mentioned flow into the Dender I think.That said, I can't say that I'm persuaded that Lede is the source of our fair city's name.And just out of interest how the David Henry does anyone manage to get Leeds from "cair hid colt"?

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Briggy wrote: cnosni wrote: Cant find anything like Leeds or Holbeck on the continent.Anyone else had a go? I wonder if this could be it:http://www.imca-slotracing.com/SS1.htmThe three waterways mentioned flow into the Dender I think.That said, I can't say that I'm persuaded that Lede is the source of our fair city's name.And just out of interest how the David Henry does anyone manage to get Leeds from "cair hid colt"? Well found!That would seem to be the reference,but like you id say no.If Leeds was called "Leed" then id be a little more inclined to take it seriously.The "S" is the key here,it appears in Loidis and Leodis.Having done family history i know how words ,especially in the older times,can be slightly mispelt,either through poor spelling or mishearing and therefore innacurate transcription.The one letter that doesnt seem to suffer in Parish Registers,wills etc is the sound in a name or word produced by the letter "s",it is very very rarely ommited in the written form.cair hid colt doesnt hold much either to me.However,id like to find the origins of Leodis,ie the written original form.Loidis is what Bede came up with,but where does Leodis,clearly a derivative of Loidis,get its first written mention?    
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

cnosni wrote: Cant find anything like Leeds or Holbeck on the continent.Anyone else had a go? There's a place called Tingley in in Denmark.
Industria Omnia Vincit

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Trojan wrote: cnosni wrote: Cant find anything like Leeds or Holbeck on the continent.Anyone else had a go? There's a place called Tingley in in Denmark. That would make sense as the earliest Viking settlers to the area thought the Leeds area to be a bit of a quogmire and decided to move away from the Aire valley and founded Tinglae.Thats the legend,has anyone got the historical fact?    

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Briggy wrote: Just to throw another couple of theories into the pot, this is what the goold old Annals of Leeds, published in 1860, makes of the origin of the city name:"Leeds is supposed by Thoresby to be derivedfrom the British "cair hid colt", a town in the wood; by Bedefrom the first Saxon possessor named Loidi, others supposei t to be derived from our German ancestors, as there is atown called Leeds, on the river Dender in Austria Flanders,near which is the village of Holbeck. Briggate, the Bridgegate,—Kirkgate, the Church-gate,—Swinegate, so calledfrom leading to a beck or stream where those animals werewashed."'Gate' means street or lane - so Briggate means Bridge Street and Kirkgate means Church Street - not "the Bridgegate' or 'the Churchgate'
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

drapesy wrote: Briggy wrote: Just to throw another couple of theories into the pot, this is what the goold old Annals of Leeds, published in 1860, makes of the origin of the city name:"Leeds is supposed by Thoresby to be derivedfrom the British "cair hid colt", a town in the wood; by Bedefrom the first Saxon possessor named Loidi, others supposei t to be derived from our German ancestors, as there is atown called Leeds, on the river Dender in Austria Flanders,near which is the village of Holbeck. Briggate, the Bridgegate,—Kirkgate, the Church-gate,—Swinegate, so calledfrom leading to a beck or stream where those animals werewashed."'Gate' means street or lane - so Briggate means Bridge Street and Kirkgate means Church Street - not "the Bridgegate' or 'the Churchgate' Speak up then Drapesy!!

Si

Post by Si »

drapesy wrote: Briggy wrote: Just to throw another couple of theories into the pot, this is what the goold old Annals of Leeds, published in 1860, makes of the origin of the city name:"Leeds is supposed by Thoresby to be derivedfrom the British "cair hid colt", a town in the wood; by Bedefrom the first Saxon possessor named Loidi, others supposei t to be derived from our German ancestors, as there is atown called Leeds, on the river Dender in Austria Flanders,near which is the village of Holbeck. Briggate, the Bridgegate,—Kirkgate, the Church-gate,—Swinegate, so calledfrom leading to a beck or stream where those animals werewashed."'Gate' means street or lane - so Briggate means Bridge Street and Kirkgate means Church Street - not "the Bridgegate' or 'the Churchgate' Hi Drapesy. Been on holiday?If "gate" means "street" in olden times, what does "street" mean? (As in Watling Street, etc?)

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Si wrote: drapesy wrote: Briggy wrote: Just to throw another couple of theories into the pot, this is what the goold old Annals of Leeds, published in 1860, makes of the origin of the city name:"Leeds is supposed by Thoresby to be derivedfrom the British "cair hid colt", a town in the wood; by Bedefrom the first Saxon possessor named Loidi, others supposei t to be derived from our German ancestors, as there is atown called Leeds, on the river Dender in Austria Flanders,near which is the village of Holbeck. Briggate, the Bridgegate,—Kirkgate, the Church-gate,—Swinegate, so calledfrom leading to a beck or stream where those animals werewashed."'Gate' means street or lane - so Briggate means Bridge Street and Kirkgate means Church Street - not "the Bridgegate' or 'the Churchgate' Hi Drapesy. Been on holiday?If "gate" means "street" in olden times, what does "street" mean? (As in Watling Street, etc?) Strata is a Roman term mate,street being the modern derivative.Gate comes from Gata,the Norse equivalent