Leodis/Loidis

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
simon2710

Post by simon2710 »

For those who don't already know Leodis/Loidis was the victorian name for Leeds before it changed. It comes from the meaning Loiner or citizen of Leeds.Heres how the name has changed over the years......(Not in order)Loidis -> Leodis -> Ledes -> Leedes -> (currently) Leeds
Simon -H-

Loinerpete

Post by Loinerpete »

I always thought the name "loidis" and indeed "leodis" was much older than Victorian, i could be wrong.

simon2710

Post by simon2710 »

Well yes and no...... Leodis is the victorian name for Leeds but was recorded as you correctly state in the Anglo-saxon era.
Simon -H-

Letty

Post by Letty »

Thought Leodis was roman?

Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

Hi all, first post here. I have several Victorian documents from my family history research such as wedding, birth & death certificates plus some maps and they all refer to Leeds as Leeds. I too think that Leodis was the Latin name for Leeds. On one pre Victorian map dated 1610 Leeds is called Ledes. So one could work out that sometime between the early 1600's to Victorian times the town became known as Leeds. Does anyone out there know when the name change took place ? Interesting stuff.Regards.

wsmith

Post by wsmith »

Possibly we are missing the point here, in that the idea of the standardisation of spelling was not introduced until the advent of Samuel Johnson's dictionary in 1755. Any variants in the spelling before that indicate the fact that spelling was not standardised. At most, the change from Leodis to Leeds over the space of a thousand years will indicate a change in pronunciation.There won't have been a moment where it was announced that 'From today, we are no longer called Leodis, from now on we will be called Leeds'.However, I'm sure that someone out there knows the oldest recorded, written example of today's spelling. Answers, please...LeodisLive ItLove It
Attachments
200px-Samuel_Johnson_by_Joshua_Reynolds.jpg
200px-Samuel_Johnson_by_Joshua_Reynolds.jpg (5.25 KiB) Viewed 22465 times

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Im sure the original writer is badly mistaken - "Leodis" has nothing to do with the Victorians ( era is 1837-1901 to be exact) but is much, much older. I believe Leedes and Leeds were both in use and acceptable in the early to mid 18th century ( i.e.the 1700's) but the latter spelling was eventually established as the 'correct' spelling.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

wsmith wrote: Possibly we are missing the point here, in that the idea of the standardisation of spelling was not introduced until the advent of Samuel Johnson's dictionary in 1755. Any variants in the spelling before that indicate the fact that spelling was not standardised. At most, the change from Leodis to Leeds over the space of a thousand years will indicate a change in pronunciation.There won't have been a moment where it was announced that 'From today, we are no longer called Leodis, from now on we will be called Leeds'.However, I'm sure that someone out there knows the oldest recorded, written example of today's spelling. Answers, please...LeodisLive ItLove It Yes I understand that but what I was getting at was that the Victorians did not call Leeds `Leodis`, that name is far older than the 19th century. It seems more likely that Ledes or Leedes was how the town was spelt in the years before the modern spelling was adopted.Regards.

Tyler

Post by Tyler »

I thought people from leads were Leonitans...Whered that come from :S

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

People from Leeds are Leodensians, although some would have it as loiners.I agree with the bit on standardized spelling but I am sure I have seen a doomsday map of Yorkshire which has the spelling as Ledes so I would thinkLeodis - Ledes - Leedes - Leedsinroman - norman - plantagenet/tudor - stewart/hanoverian eras is something close to the chronology of the evolution of the predominantly correct spelling
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/