Changing Names

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
simong

Post by simong »

simong wrote: When I was looking around this morning I was wondering how long it's going to be before Google (or someone clever using Google) is going to overlay old maps on Google Earth. I'm sure someone must be doing it by now. Brandy's just answered that question for me. I need to get that

Lilysmum

Post by Lilysmum »

simong wrote: BLAKEY wrote: Incidentally I have in my collection an old photo of one of Mr. Grange's coaches - an Albion with extremely rare body by Tower Coachworks of Upper Wortley/Armley - awaiting bookings in Albert Square. Journeys to the west coast resorts in particular were long drawn out affairs, but Oh what happy days. I'd like to see that as I live on Albert Square. Leodis has some photos of the fair from the turn of the century and before but not so many of the time when it was basically a car park. Hi simong,As you live on Albert square you may know that locally it was known as "penny foil hill" in years gone by. A woman who lived there was a fortune teller and charged a penny to anyone guillable enough to believe in her powers. Hence the name penny foil (fool)

Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

Very interesting thread - i've always wondered why on the usually faultless "A-Z" company series of maps even they make the 'mistake' of putting the name Chapeltown across a part of Chapel Allerton (the residential part where all the roads are names after places in Canada).Although once they were obviously correct it is undoubtedly now a mistake and needs correcting and the name shifting south to the area we now know as Chapeltown ie the area south of a line approximately where Chapel Allerton Hospital's's southern border is.It's about the only mistake I've ever found on an A-Z map which is more than you can say for some other streetmap companies.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

simong wrote: BLAKEY wrote: Incidentally I have in my collection an old photo of one of Mr. Grange's coaches - an Albion with extremely rare body by Tower Coachworks of Upper Wortley/Armley - awaiting bookings in Albert Square. Journeys to the west coast resorts in particular were long drawn out affairs, but Oh what happy days. I'd like to see that as I live on Albert Square. Leodis has some photos of the fair from the turn of the century and before but not so many of the time when it was basically a car park. Its one of my own teenage snapshots 2.25" square - will with pleasure look it out and post it on here soon - will try tonight, but I am going early tomorrow to the annual preserved bus rally at Cobham in Surrey while Mionday evening so please bear with me, and don't hesitate to remind me if it slips the memory - the grey matter is turning from a pleasant "misty" hue to "deep battleship" at an alarming rate     
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

simong

Post by simong »

Lilysmum wrote: Hi simong,As you live on Albert square you may know that locally it was known as "penny foil hill" in years gone by. A woman who lived there was a fortune teller and charged a penny to anyone guillable enough to believe in her powers. Hence the name penny foil (fool) Yes indeed, that's mentioned on the pictures on Leodis although the story isn't fully given.Another interesting little fact about the square is that the off licence on the corner was built from the remains of the Pick and Hammer pub in Carlton, which I assume is what is now East and West Carlton. There isn't any sign of it on the old OS website so I wonder where it was.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Catweazle wrote: Very interesting thread - i've always wondered why on the usually faultless "A-Z" company series of maps even they make the 'mistake' of putting the name Chapeltown across a part of Chapel Allerton (the residential part where all the roads are names after places in Canada).Although once they were obviously correct it is undoubtedly now a mistake and needs correcting and the name shifting south to the area we now know as Chapeltown ie the area south of a line approximately where Chapel Allerton Hospital's's southern border is.It's about the only mistake I've ever found on an A-Z map which is more than you can say for some other streetmap companies. Im still of the mind that Chapeltown is a shortening of Chapel Allerton.Chapeltown was never a village,let alone a town or "ton"Say Chapel Allerton quickly in yer best Leeds accent,see what i mean?
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

cnosni wrote: Catweazle wrote: Very interesting thread - i've always wondered why on the usually faultless "A-Z" company series of maps even they make the 'mistake' of putting the name Chapeltown across a part of Chapel Allerton (the residential part where all the roads are names after places in Canada).Although once they were obviously correct it is undoubtedly now a mistake and needs correcting and the name shifting south to the area we now know as Chapeltown ie the area south of a line approximately where Chapel Allerton Hospital's's southern border is.It's about the only mistake I've ever found on an A-Z map which is more than you can say for some other streetmap companies. Im still of the mind that Chapeltown is a shortening of Chapel Allerton.Chapeltown was never a village,let alone a town or "ton"Say Chapel Allerton quickly in yer best Leeds accent,see what i mean? There's a Chapeltown near Sheffield too - a Wortley and a Bramley too for that matter.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

BLAKEY wrote: We don't seem to hear much mention these days of "FAR Headingley" which at one time was intended to mean that you "were somebody." Also at one time estate agents were at pains to advertise Dewsbury Road and Beeston property as "ABOVE THE PARK", referring of course to Cross Flatts Park. Andrew Edwards Radio Leeds Breakfast presenter says he lives in Far Headingley, my mother God rest her was in "service" in Far Headingley.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Dunningley, Adwalton, Nethertown, Baghill, Lee Fair, Westerton, Topcliffe, St Bernards, America MoorAll areas in and around Morley where the name has virtually ceased to be used.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

simong wrote: simong wrote: When I was looking around this morning I was wondering how long it's going to be before Google (or someone clever using Google) is going to overlay old maps on Google Earth. I'm sure someone must be doing it by now. Brandy's just answered that question for me. I need to get that heres the link for you simong,theres some cracking overlay maps available here to use for diddleysquat lolhttp://maps.ponies.me.uk/osmap.html
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.