Changing Names

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
Hector

Post by Hector »

I was wondering how place names change e.g. Chapel Allerton is now much more widespread, I suppose this is down to gentrification. But I also wondering how do names disappear e.g what happened to Newtown and where was Islington I remember seeing it in a gazeteer once.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Hector wrote: I was wondering how place names change e.g. Chapel Allerton is now much more widespread, I suppose this is down to gentrification. But I also wondering how do names disappear e.g what happened to Newtown and where was Islington I remember seeing it in a gazeteer once. Well ive come across the term Chapel Allerton in the Leeds PR in the 18th century,so im unaware of any name change there.Newtown probably disappeared from use as the community no longer exists,and hasnt done for some time,however neither has Stourton and that area is still referred to as such.Islington is a completely new one to me as a place in Leeds,is it anything to do with Belle Isle i wonder?    
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

ads

Post by ads »

Localities as such have not been paricularly updated since the local government reorganisation of 74. As villiages and towns have sprawled into each other , and into Leeds itself, where one starts and one finishes is no longer defined. This leads to all sorts of problems in how properties can be valued, eg giving a property a better neighbouring locality can add thousands to a property value, Added to this, the perception of values of certain postcodes, and the popular urban myth around estate agents that an up and coming area is going to get a better postcode , again to increase percieved value. Localities either need forgetting altogether and consigning them to dear memories, or our elected members at the civic need to get the areas redefined. Bet someone would finish up upset to find that their property in Whitkirk had just been moved into Halton!!

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

We were moved from Wortley to Armley by the council and then from Armley to Upper Armley by the estate agents.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Islington is , strictly speaking, part of Holbeck historically - but most would probably think of it as part of Beeston. Its the area around Elland Road football ground - ie Wesley Street, Low Fields Road The Old Peacock pub etc.    
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Cardiarms wrote: We were moved from Wortley to Armley by the council and then from Armley to Upper Armley by the estate agents. I recall someone at work describing the house they were selling as in West Armley for roughly the same reasons. Yes Armley has a west side but its used as an adjective and not used as a noun as in West Ardsley
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

cnosni wrote: Hector wrote: I was wondering how place names change e.g. Chapel Allerton is now much more widespread, I suppose this is down to gentrification. But I also wondering how do names disappear e.g what happened to Newtown and where was Islington I remember seeing it in a gazeteer once. Well ive come across the term Chapel Allerton in the Leeds PR in the 18th century,so im unaware of any name change there.Newtown probably disappeared from use as the community no longer exists,and hasnt done for some time,however neither has Stourton and that area is still referred to as such.Islington is a completely new one to me as a place in Leeds,is it anything to do with Belle Isle i wonder?     The Chapeltown/Chapel Allerton change has been covered before on SL- but I can't find it now. In a nutshell - historically what we now called Chapel Allerton was referred to as Chapeltown or Chapel Town OR Chapel Allerton - Hence Chapeltown Police station, Chapeltown school (now renamed) etc were in what we now call Chapel Allerton - and Chapeltown Road (ie the Road to Chapeltown) ends there.Over time the 2 names , rather than being interchangeable, have become distinct areas - what we now call Chapel Allerton being the original village and Chapeltown being used to decribe newer developments along Chapeltown Road to the south.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

We don't seem to hear much mention these days of "FAR Headingley" which at one time was intended to mean that you "were somebody." Also at one time estate agents were at pains to advertise Dewsbury Road and Beeston property as "ABOVE THE PARK", referring of course to Cross Flatts Park.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

drapesy wrote: cnosni wrote: Hector wrote: I was wondering how place names change e.g. Chapel Allerton is now much more widespread, I suppose this is down to gentrification. But I also wondering how do names disappear e.g what happened to Newtown and where was Islington I remember seeing it in a gazeteer once. Well ive come across the term Chapel Allerton in the Leeds PR in the 18th century,so im unaware of any name change there.Newtown probably disappeared from use as the community no longer exists,and hasnt done for some time,however neither has Stourton and that area is still referred to as such.Islington is a completely new one to me as a place in Leeds,is it anything to do with Belle Isle i wonder?     The Chapeltown/Chapel Allerton change has been covered before on SL- but I can't find it now. In a nutshell - historically what we now called Chapel Allerton was referred to as Chapeltown or Chapel Town OR Chapel Allerton - Hence Chapeltown Police station, Chapeltown school (now renamed) etc were in what we now call Chapel Allerton - and Chapeltown Road (ie the Road to Chapeltown) ends there.Over time the 2 names , rather than being interchangeable, have become distinct areas - what we now call Chapel Allerton being the original village and Chapeltown being used to decribe newer developments along Chapeltown Road to the south. Going through the Leeds parish registers as i have,there is no mention of Chapeltown until around 1830.Yes Steve Chapel Allerton is definitely the original place name,thats without a doubt,and im talking about from around at least 1712 when Chapel Allerton appears as one of the chapels of ease related to Leeds Parish church,the others being Holbeck,Hunslet,Bramley,Headingley and Armley.What is probably most likely is that Chapletown (Chapelton perhaps?)may have become a simple shortening of Chapel Allerton,after all the end of the word Allerton,TON,is an alternative for town,same as in Beeston.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

LS1

Post by LS1 »

I'm sure before all the houses were built in Chapeltown, it is known as "chapeltown Moor" on old maps. I'll have to dig out where i found this unless someone beats me to it!