Monkey Bridge.

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

The Parksider wrote: chameleon wrote: We've had and agreed that conversation before haven't we Parksider? Yes, good to regurgitate anything on here as it usually prompts more people to join in. The "demise" (if that'w what it was?) of the school painted on Leodis by individual opinions across a timescale is quite interesting.I particularly like the idea of some people on there that they went on to do well in life - wether career wise or just as decent human beings - "despite" their days at Foxwood!!If my kid ever misses days at school I think back and take the opinion that it won't matter a jot! One less day in the madhouse. Tis often forgotten (conveniently!) that much of education is what happens in and from the home environment as at a place of formal 'teaching'    

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

The Parksider wrote: zip55 wrote: "The Parksider" ... what year's were you at Foxwood?I was there from 1966 to 1972 .... I think 1967-1973. Came from Asket Hill school.That's knocked down.Once they knock the rest of Foxwood and our house down on Boggart Hill I'll feel like my dad did when he told me his house and schools were "all knocked down now".I recall many teachers. Heads like Mainds, Cocker and Spooner.Turton, Cantrill, Mr. Baines and his Leeds Uni football blazer.Clayton, Parry, Smith, Jimmy Wheeler (big softie teacher) slater, white, Danny Kaye, Rowe,Games with Belly, Maltby..... I can picture another half dozen but can't put the names to them any more.First female teacher "Cuddles"...... Geoff (Jeff?) Clayton and Brian Parry were both still teaching there in the mid 80's when I attended. Both excellent teachers, but in quite different ways.Mr Clayton taught maths and computers studies and was more "old school". He also ran the 10 pin bowling club until the teachers union withdrew from any extra-curricular activities in a dispute with the government. I remember he used to cycle to school from sonewhere in north Leeds in the warmer months and there were stories that he used to also care for his ill wife who was housebound?Mr Parry taught geography and geology and took us on some very eventful field trips - one to Foxwood Farm at Horton-in-Ribblesdale where the nearest pub accomodated the pupils in the tap room and the staff in the lounge, while both tried to avoid bumping into the other group! Also an excellent trip to the Isle of Arran.Other good teachers I remember include Mr Hornby (maths), Mr Woodcraft (French, possibly English as well?), Mr Dykes (Spanish and Head of Year).There were also some teachers who looking back were quite useless, but that's just my opinion so I'll not name them here.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

raveydavey wrote: [Mr Dykes (Spanish and Head of Year).There were also some teachers who looking back were quite useless, but that's just my opinion so I'll not name them here. Mr. Dykes - I did spanish with him, but I can only just manage Yorkshire and failed.Come on give us yer useless list!!!

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

The Parksider wrote: raveydavey wrote: [Mr Dykes (Spanish and Head of Year).There were also some teachers who looking back were quite useless, but that's just my opinion so I'll not name them here. Mr. Dykes - I did spanish with him, but I can only just manage Yorkshire and failed.Come on give us yer useless list!!! Think we've said before, started to go down hill when the originating Head Matthew Rowlands moved on to be replaced by an egotistical Brummie. Many of the better staff started leaving after that.Yes Jef lived in Harehills and also ran the very successful cycling club to which I was proud to belong and represent the school. (Must try to get some clips of the London Trip digitised for here)

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

chameleon wrote: The Parksider wrote: raveydavey wrote: [Mr Dykes (Spanish and Head of Year).There were also some teachers who looking back were quite useless, but that's just my opinion so I'll not name them here. Mr. Dykes - I did spanish with him, but I can only just manage Yorkshire and failed.Come on give us yer useless list!!! Think we've said before, started to go down hill when the originating Head Matthew Rowlands moved on to be replaced by an egotistical Brummie. Many of the better staff started leaving after that.Yes Jef lived in Harehills and also ran the very successful cycling club to which I was proud to belong and represent the school. (Must try to get some clips of the London Trip digitised for here) Wow,you have a scanner that can digitise watercolours!!!
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

cnosni wrote: chameleon wrote: The Parksider wrote: raveydavey wrote: [Mr Dykes (Spanish and Head of Year).There were also some teachers who looking back were quite useless, but that's just my opinion so I'll not name them here. Mr. Dykes - I did spanish with him, but I can only just manage Yorkshire and failed.Come on give us yer useless list!!! Think we've said before, started to go down hill when the originating Head Matthew Rowlands moved on to be replaced by an egotistical Brummie. Many of the better staff started leaving after that.Yes Jef lived in Harehills and also ran the very successful cycling club to which I was proud to belong and represent the school. (Must try to get some clips of the London Trip digitised for here) Wow,you have a scanner that can digitise watercolours!!! Not really Chris - was thinking more of transfering VCT (originally from cine) to PC!    

ElaineLeeds

Post by ElaineLeeds »

We used to live on the Foundry Mills in the mid 70's, the lads used to go fishing, with nets, down the Monkey bridge - the bridge under the road and catch tons of newts and frogs - apparently.
Elaine Forth (nee Care)

zip55

Post by zip55 »

ElaineLeeds wrote: We used to live on the Foundry Mills in the mid 70's, the lads used to go fishing, with nets, down the Monkey bridge - the bridge under the road and catch tons of newts and frogs - apparently. Sticklebacks were the most (only) thing we ever caught ...

Yorkshirerose

Post by Yorkshirerose »

We lived on Whinmoor Estate until coming to Australia in 1969. My son Stephen Brown went to Foxwood.    

volvojack

Re: Monkey Bridge.

Post by volvojack »

Some brilliant replies and information there.

When Gipton Estate was built in the mid 1930s we moved there and as I grew up Monkey Bridge was known as the area between York Rd , along Wyke Beck Valley Rd. to where it veers off to join Foundry Lane. The Beck / Stream was much stronger, cleaner in those days and if you wished to fish the other side you crossed a white wooden bridge that + led led up past an Orchard to what was known as Blue Belll Wood and I believe this dirt track led up to the "Fever Hospital" which would be where the ASDA is now. Most of the land was just was just piles of earth and cinders but we spent many happy hours on and around there.