Monkey Bridge.

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
compton

Post by compton »

Tomel wrote: I think that there once was another bridge between the one at the bottom of North Parkway and the one at the bottom of Brooklands Ave. It was not there when we were kids but the brickwork structure could still be seen at either side of the beck and we always called this redbrick bridge. It was close to some brick buildings that were used as a dairy. We knew the whole beck from Dib Lane right down to Foundry Lane as Monkey Bridge. Does anybody remember a hill on Fearnville fields? This would be very close to where the sports centre is now. It seemed to be made of cinders and the track which ran from Mittens shop down past the allotments and right down to Monkey Bridge was also made of cinders. The area to the right of this track heading towards Seacroft was just open fields with no football pitches and had lots of skylarks nesting in it. The drainage was very poor as the area was clay so every time sports pitches were constructed they became boggy until somebody had the bright idea of using the cinders from this hill as drainage for the sports pitches and I remember playing rugby and cricket on there in the mid sixties and early seventies. Crocketts had a cricket pitch there though there were no changing facilities Bill Almond had a greengrocers shop next to Mittens and he also had one on the corner of Harehills Lane and Roundhay Road near the Fforde Greene. He retired to Scarborough and used to return to Leeds to see old friends and go sequence dancing somewhere down Harehills way.      was this hill not known as kickfart hill to us crude brats, why I don,t know, anyone enlighten us?
Rod

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Tomel wrote: go sequence dancing somewhere down Harehills way.      Astoria?
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Tomel

Post by Tomel »

tyke bhoy wrote: Tomel wrote: go sequence dancing somewhere down Harehills way.      Astoria? No it wasn`t the Astoria it was somewhere further down Roundhay Road towards the Bayswaters. Though they did go for a regular drink or two in the Keyhole Bar at the Astoria. Almonds had a small chain of Greengrocers so there may well have been one at Crossgates but I did not know it.
I see. It`s like Yorkshire humour only different

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

Could have been Olga Sheards?
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Tomel wrote: tyke bhoy wrote: Tomel wrote: go sequence dancing somewhere down Harehills way.      Astoria? No it wasn`t the Astoria it was somewhere further down Roundhay Road towards the Bayswaters. Though they did go for a regular drink or two in the Keyhole Bar at the Astoria. Almonds had a small chain of Greengrocers so there may well have been one at Crossgates but I did not know it. Thanks Tomel the one Mum used was largely run by Norman as I recall and his wife, with Mr A senior often in evidence so probaly, yes!

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

I enjoyed all the Leodis comments on Foxwood school where I went although many were from the early years (strict, well disciplined school) to the later years (dump, couldn't care less teachers) and not a lot from the middle although a couple of star names from my era did post.Anyway a load of memories of Monkey Beck and Monkey Bridge quoted on there!!.

zip55

Post by zip55 »

"The Parksider" ... what year's were you at Foxwood?I was there from 1966 to 1972 ....

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

The Parksider wrote: I enjoyed all the Leodis comments on Foxwood school where I went although many were from the early years (strict, well disciplined school) to the later years (dump, couldn't care less teachers) and not a lot from the middle although a couple of star names from my era did post.Anyway a load of memories of Monkey Beck and Monkey Bridge quoted on there!!. We've had and agreed that conversation before haven't we Parksider? Another one out of the woodwork, wonder how many others here can relate to the earlier years of the place when it was a 'school' with caring staff? 62 - 70ish for me zip.    

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

zip55 wrote: "The Parksider" ... what year's were you at Foxwood?I was there from 1966 to 1972 .... I think 1967-1973. Came from Asket Hill school.That's knocked down.Once they knock the rest of Foxwood and our house down on Boggart Hill I'll feel like my dad did when he told me his house and schools were "all knocked down now".I recall many teachers. Heads like Mainds, Cocker and Spooner.Turton, Cantrill, Mr. Baines and his Leeds Uni football blazer.Clayton, Parry, Smith, Jimmy Wheeler (big softie teacher) slater, white, Danny Kaye, Rowe,Games with Belly, Maltby..... I can picture another half dozen but can't put the names to them any more.First female teacher "Cuddles"......

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

chameleon wrote: We've had and agreed that conversation before haven't we Parksider? Yes, good to regurgitate anything on here as it usually prompts more people to join in. The "demise" (if that'w what it was?) of the school painted on Leodis by individual opinions across a timescale is quite interesting.I particularly like the idea of some people on there that they went on to do well in life - wether career wise or just as decent human beings - "despite" their days at Foxwood!!If my kid ever misses days at school I think back and take the opinion that it won't matter a jot! One less day in the madhouse.