Wellclose Terrace in 1933

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
confused

Post by confused »

I wonder if someone can help me. My mums birth certificate says she was born at 55 Wellclose Terrace in Leeds in 1933. I've been to the Library today and the electoral books only show the even numbers of Wellclose Terrace.    Looking at the map, there were definitely two sides to the street and I also looked at "Back Wellclose Terrace" just in case - but there isn't one listed though.Does anyone know the history to this. I noticed some posts from people who lived at Wellclose Mount in 1936 so am hoping someone might remember Wellclose Terrace and the mystery of the one sided streetor has anyone got any ideas of where else I could look?thanksconfused

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Perhaps the boundary for the electoral wards ran down the middle of the road and 55 is in another ward or whatever they're called.

confused

Post by confused »

Cardiarms wrote: Perhaps the boundary for the electoral wards ran down the middle of the road and 55 is in another ward or whatever they're called. it's all in the ward of Blenheim - central ward. We looked in the North and North East. I'm not from Leeds myself so have no idea what's north east north west etc - thanks though - I'll call the library and double check

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Where was it?
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

There's a "Well Close" Place off Blackman Lane in the Blenheim area

confused

Post by confused »

Cardiarms wrote: There's a "Well Close" Place off Blackman Lane in the Blenheim area it was near Wellclose Mount which I believe was in Blenheim. My mum lived in Wellclose Terrace - No. 55. Have googled Wellclose Terrace and a note comes up about someone who died at No. 5 and had lived there since 1908 - I just want to find out how to track the uneven numbers down on any electoral roll when they're not listed. Think its North Leeds

Martyn

Post by Martyn »

Cardiarms wrote: Perhaps the boundary for the electoral wards ran down the middle of the road and 55 is in another ward or whatever they're called. Bang on Cardiarms. The division runs smack down the middle of the street. I can't tell the street numbers but this map should help.
http://www.siddles.me.ukYou can take a horse to water but a pencil must be lead.Stan Laurel.

confused

Post by confused »

Martyn wrote: Cardiarms wrote: Perhaps the boundary for the electoral wards ran down the middle of the road and 55 is in another ward or whatever they're called. Bang on Cardiarms. The division runs smack down the middle of the street. I can't tell the street numbers but this map should help. hi - thanks for that - no map attached though - just seems to be a picture of a couple? do you know what the ward on the opposite side is pleaseI'm not from Leeds and I can manage my way out of Chadwick St to the centre but thats about itthanks again

Martyn

Post by Martyn »

That's me web site. I've had a go at loading the little map about five times now. Can't figure out what's wrong but it shows the left (south-west) side of the street is in North division, North West Ward and the right (North East) side of the street is in Central Ward, Brunswick division.
http://www.siddles.me.ukYou can take a horse to water but a pencil must be lead.Stan Laurel.

confused

Post by confused »

Martyn wrote: That's me web site. I've had a go at loading the little map about five times now. Can't figure out what's wrong but it shows the left (south-west) side of the street is in North division, North West Ward and the right (North East) side of the street is in Central Ward, Brunswick division. that's amazing and fantastic news .... will head back to the library tomorrow - North West is probably the ONLY side we didn't look atthanks again - nice pic by the way - you look happy