Dialect/slang

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
gbdlufc

Post by gbdlufc »

HA did we have same mams........if it want bacon dip sarnie, or bread and dripping, it was always [edited for content] wi sugar on, brilliant. By the way is it a Leeds thing to always have Yorkshire puddings first then dinner, mi mam always did it and mi nanna did too, even I do now, dont half get some funny looks and comments.

Tyke_bhoys wife

Post by Tyke_bhoys wife »

cnosni wrote: tyke bhoy wrote: cnosni wrote: Doylem has to be the definitive Leeds word for a stupid person. Not so sure about that at the risk of a t'ick ear from my Belfast born missus. The irish were always synonomous (butt of jokes) for not being too bright. I never formerly established the link but I for one believe the fact the Irish Parliament is the Doyle has some connection with the slang term doylem which would almost certainly mean it isn't restricted to Leeds /Yorkshire Good point,never thought of that.Having said that i havent come acro it outside Leeds,infact you dont seem to hear it in Leeds nowadays Saying nothing about my husbands reference to us Irish folk but when he refers to the Irish Parliament being the Doyle he actually means the Dail not Doyle........ so now who is the Doylem !!!!!!!!!!

Croggy

Post by Croggy »

Not sure if it is confined to Leeds, but my granny used to say 'them that eats most pudding, gets most meat'.Idea being of course, that the kids would fill themselves up on the yorkshires, and not need so much of the roast! ...

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Tyke_bhoys wife wrote: cnosni wrote: tyke bhoy wrote: cnosni wrote: Doylem has to be the definitive Leeds word for a stupid person. Not so sure about that at the risk of a t'ick ear from my Belfast born missus. The irish were always synonomous (butt of jokes) for not being too bright. I never formerly established the link but I for one believe the fact the Irish Parliament is the Doyle has some connection with the slang term doylem which would almost certainly mean it isn't restricted to Leeds /Yorkshire Good point,never thought of that.Having said that i havent come acro it outside Leeds,infact you dont seem to hear it in Leeds nowadays Saying nothing about my husbands reference to us Irish folk but when he refers to the Irish Parliament being the Doyle he actually means the Dail not Doyle........ so now who is the Doylem !!!!!!!!!! Quite clearly your other half!!
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

Anyone mentioned "an'all" meaning as well as in ' i'll ave once to eat now and a can o coke an'all '
Love a Landrover

stodge.

Post by stodge. »

gbdlufc wrote: HA did we have same mams........if it want bacon dip sarnie, or bread and dripping, it was always [edited for content] wi sugar on, brilliant. By the way is it a Leeds thing to always have Yorkshire puddings first then dinner, mi mam always did it and mi nanna did too, even I do now, dont half get some funny looks and comments. Mi grandad used to say " poeple north ot river are greedy buggers, the can't wait for the dinner so they shove it all on a plate."Don't know if it's a south thing or what. most of us nowadays must be greedy buggers though. Soz grandad.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Sh** wi sugar on,must have been told every night that i was going to get that for tea when i asked.Now how about what we dont say,ie "The"(struggled to do that)My cousin who lives in a posh part of Lincolnshire,brought her son up a while ago and he had a great deal of difficulty with the phrase "are yer off t'shop for yer mam then?"My cousin had to translate.Its the main reason by the way that the band"The The" never took off in Leeds,imaginary conversation:-"yeah im off t'duchess tonight to see a band""who is it?""its - (silence)""Never heard of em."Heres another word to chuck in,Knack,"as in im going t'knack (beat )im"
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

My grandmother (Hunslet born and bred) had a saying, when she saw anyone looking depressed or hacked off she would say "He's got a face like a farmers ar** under an umberella". I never really understood it.

slw

Post by slw »

gbdlufc wrote: HA did we have same mams........if it want bacon dip sarnie, or bread and dripping, it was always [edited for content] wi sugar on, brilliant. By the way is it a Leeds thing to always have Yorkshire puddings first then dinner, mi mam always did it and mi nanna did too, even I do now, dont half get some funny looks and comments. I agree, we 'ave a big pudding first and then a little 'un with the main Sunday dinner

stevief

Post by stevief »

slw wrote: gbdlufc wrote: HA did we have same mams........if it want bacon dip sarnie, or bread and dripping, it was always [edited for content] wi sugar on, brilliant. By the way is it a Leeds thing to always have Yorkshire puddings first then dinner, mi mam always did it and mi nanna did too, even I do now, dont half get some funny looks and comments. I agree, we 'ave a big pudding first and then a little 'un with the main Sunday dinner Local dietary preferences are as peculiar as accents.I was at my in-laws(from Belfast) one Christmas and offered a slice of seasonal cake.I asked for a piece of cheese as accompaniment and was stared at by everyone in the room.Eventually my request was granted with a thick slice of red Leicester.