Dialect/slang

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

chameleon wrote: cnosni wrote: MsJ2uk wrote: , Funny how we seem to be quoting our Grandparents + parents. When we're just as bad. . . We had friends over from Ireland, they'd never heard of 'goin t'chippy for twice wi scraps, + a cake, wrapped'. . . My Grandad used to say 'pt wood int ole am frozzen' meaning 'close the door i am cold'.,     Post     Yeah you try going any chippy outside of leeds and ask for once or twice and they say "once of what?"As for scraps well at least that term seems to extend to the east coast,so does breadcakes.( None of this Barm cake or bap bollox).Say breadcakes to someone even in Cas and they will look at you daft,but in Scarborough and Whitby they know their breadcakes and their scraps (not bits).Conscidering the distance between the east coast and Leeds,and Leeds and Cas then dont you think that this is most unusual.i love this thread!! Work this one out - some years ago working in Glassgow and after a late night I found a chippie and asked cheerfully asked for 'Once to eat now please'. A very bemused staff mumbled to each other and turned to me saying 'sorry, we dont sell larger'. Beats me!

magic

Post by magic »

cnosni wrote: magic wrote: In Leeds 9:ladgin: embarrassingmush, gadge: same as charver i.e mateburnin mi head out: stressing me out.peeve: pubblindo: drunkcrank, tool, mupet, flyer: stupid person.flappin: scared.lag, slash: to pee.a score: £20.bin lid: quid.twifter: cannabis.twirlers: keys.nit that: no to that.leanin, pressin: running.a gauge: a pint.claret: blood.A favourite of mine is for my local, Brown Hare on Harehills lane, which is known by some as the mucky pube!I think a lot of these are not peculiar to Leeds eg crank,muppet,tool,and some are definitely cockney,eg score,mush.Some of these though i havent heard so i assume they are new.Doylem has to be the definitive Leeds word for a stupid person.How about Waz for a pee Yes, off for a waz!

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

cnosni wrote: Doylem has to be the definitive Leeds word for a stupid person. Not so sure about that at the risk of a t'ick ear from my Belfast born missus. The irish were always synonomous (butt of jokes) for not being too bright. I never formerly established the link but I for one believe the fact the Irish Parliament is the Doyle has some connection with the slang term doylem which would almost certainly mean it isn't restricted to Leeds /Yorkshire
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

tyke bhoy wrote: cnosni wrote: Doylem has to be the definitive Leeds word for a stupid person. Not so sure about that at the risk of a t'ick ear from my Belfast born missus. The irish were always synonomous (butt of jokes) for not being too bright. I never formerly established the link but I for one believe the fact the Irish Parliament is the Doyle has some connection with the slang term doylem which would almost certainly mean it isn't restricted to Leeds /Yorkshire Good point,never thought of that.Having said that i havent come acro it outside Leeds,infact you dont seem to hear it in Leeds nowadays
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

magic

Post by magic »

What about "div" / "divy" not sure if i have heard that outside of Leeds?

roundhegian

Post by roundhegian »

magic wrote: What about "div" / "divy" not sure if i have heard that outside of Leeds? Fifty years later I can remember my mother's "divy" number .
roundhegian

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

magic wrote: What about "div" / "divy" not sure if i have heard that outside of Leeds? my other half is from liverpool and she says the use Div/Divvy there
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

ajboo

Post by ajboo »

Right now. I am a female writing this. But got a few for you.Wefty...... A person of larger proportions. {ie, she;s a wefty bird}And i would like to think i am not. Well not this week anyway. Note to myself. Cut down on the take a ways.Ten to 2er.    A person you buy a drink for at the end of the night and then take home when nothing else is available. Having the last dance is usually the way to go if you want to guarentee getting yourend away.Ten past 2er ........ No drink no dance. Just saving yourself some money. Commonly heard in UD's { Upstairs downstairs in Armley}By the way i was neither of the above. Well not then. How times have changed. Hee hee x x x x

FarnleyBloke

Post by FarnleyBloke »

Love the chippy ones, reminds me of the old joke..'I went in to a fish and chip shop and asked for fish and chips twice. The lady behind the counter said "I heard you the first time!"'Also although i say scraps i know alot of people that ask for bits.Someones already mentiond missen for myself. I always used to do this..hissen - his selfhersen - her selfussen - ourselvesmissen - myselfthissen - your selfPeg up - to give someone a lift (usually over a wall, not in a car)My mums favourite swear words were Sod and Get as in "come ere you little get!!"And when pestering her to find out what was for tea she either used to say "a walk round t'table and bite out t'leg" or "shit wi sugar on"

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

LOL wots for tea mam "shit wi sugar on" nice one farnleybloke, i used to get that one too.
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.