Street names

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Armley Town Street, the little lane to the left of Somerfield is The Gang.Gangway?

treacleminer

Post by treacleminer »

harryd wrote: Glad I spotted this thread as there are quite a few street names I'm really interested in (or simply like the sound of)Eggshell Lane - A muddy lane between priesthorpe lane and Calverley. Why is it so called? There is another one I know of in Clapham, North Yorks. That is also a rural lane - so is it simply to do with egg laying hens? Smashed shells etc?Knott Lane - Up to the A65 near RawdonButcher Hill, KirkstallDick Lane and Sticker Lane (both Bradford) sound pretty cool too.Picking up the coal road theme from earlier in the thread - there is also a Coal Hill Lane at the bottom of Farsley (near that old cemetery)     hi harryd.the path you're talking about between priesthorpe lane and calverley is called shell lane."shell" is an old local name for a coffin! this is an ancient route for the transportation of coffins to the church in calverley.hope this has shed some light for you.

treacleminer

Post by treacleminer »

Si wrote: I've asked on here before without response, but it's worth another try.Who was Richard Shaw, as in "Richard Shaw Lane" in Pudsey?And why is it pronounced so stangely? - Rik-uh-shuh Lane?Ask someone from Pudsey where it is (pronounced as spelt) and they won't know! hi si.richard shaw lane would have originally been "hrica scaew" meaning "hricas settlement" according to some of the local history books.cant remember wether this is saxon or old english,but locals have kept the pronunciation "ricka shaw" lane, as richard shaw never existed!til some plonka from the government put up the street sign that is!lol

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

dogduke wrote: Streets off the A63 Selby Road temple newsam/Whitkirk area as Iunderstand it were named after dambusters air crew.Gibson Drive(guy) etc.Can anyone confirm this please...My all time favourite(not in Leeds) is the village of Buckton on the B road to flamboro - Hoddy cows Lane !!!!! Gibson (Drive), Maltby (Court) and Martin (court) were pilots on the Dambusters raid. Don't know about Pickard, Nettleton and Bennett. Perhaps members of 617 squadron on other raids?

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

Hiya treacleminer,Your handle gives your location away. Tell me, do your ducks fly back'ards?
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Si

Post by Si »

treacleminer wrote: Si wrote: I've asked on here before without response, but it's worth another try.Who was Richard Shaw, as in "Richard Shaw Lane" in Pudsey?And why is it pronounced so stangely? - Rik-uh-shuh Lane?Ask someone from Pudsey where it is (pronounced as spelt) and they won't know! hi si.richard shaw lane would have originally been "hrica scaew" meaning "hricas settlement" according to some of the local history books.cant remember wether this is saxon or old english,but locals have kept the pronunciation "ricka shaw" lane, as richard shaw never existed!til some plonka from the government put up the street sign that is!lol Hi Treacleminer,Thanks for the bit of history. It is amazing how original pronunciations can outlive the written version. I guess it's the same reason there are so many places in West Yorkshire which are spelt differently from the way in which they are spoken. Eg: Slaithwaite.

ads

Post by ads »

Si wrote: treacleminer wrote: Si wrote: I've asked on here before without response, but it's worth another try.Who was Richard Shaw, as in "Richard Shaw Lane" in Pudsey?And why is it pronounced so stangely? - Rik-uh-shuh Lane?Ask someone from Pudsey where it is (pronounced as spelt) and they won't know! hi si.richard shaw lane would have originally been "hrica scaew" meaning "hricas settlement" according to some of the local history books.cant remember wether this is saxon or old english,but locals have kept the pronunciation "ricka shaw" lane, as richard shaw never existed!til some plonka from the government put up the street sign that is!lol Hi Treacleminer,Thanks for the bit of history. It is amazing how original pronunciations can outlive the written version. I guess it's the same reason there are so many places in West Yorkshire which are spelt differently from the way in which they are spoken. Eg: Slaithwaite. If you check on all the old maps (I can go back to 1851) it has been Richardshaw Lane at least since then. The problems with street names and place names came when ordnance survey first came out to draw up accurate maps of britain in the early 1800's. As these were educated southerners rather than local people with local knowledge, names were taken as they found them, hence a lot of the local history behind a name was lost on occasion. Street signs were not common place until 1847 when local authorities were given powers to name and number roads within their areas. Whilst the origins of Richardshaw Lane are lost in the depths of time, it has it's history of being in existance as is for at least 150 years!

Si

Post by Si »

Just found this 1887 explanation of the origins of Richard Shaw Lane."When the Angle chieftain, Stanning, looked from his hall towards the noon- day sun his vision was bounded by the slope which the Celt called the " hwpp," where the footpath now runs. He called it the " hrice," as we call it a rig, or as people of culture and superior education tone it down, the ridge. It was then wood-grown, shady, verdant, and sacred to the foot of the hunter. The leafy garment that shaded it, the Angle called a "Scua," which custom and superior education has so softened that we know the word as a shaw. And so "the wood on the ridge" — the rig- wood — became in Angle speech the "hrice scua," and as the feet of after generations trod a path to that wood the path became the " hrice-scua " lane, which the changes of time twisted so slightly that for twenty generations the path was known as Rikershaw Lane. But alas ! by the advancement of learning, the truth- telling designation had to be clothed in new gar- ments, and from the awkward hands of its blundering tailor it came forth as that monstrous abortion Richardshaw Lane !"Interesting that, 123 years later, most people still say "Rickershaw" Lane!!! The writer needn't have worried!        

Marty

Post by Marty »

Can anyone tell me the origin of the name "Farrar Lane"? Does it have something to do with a farrier (a shoer of horses) having had his shop there? Thank you.
M. A. Sarmat