Gruesome Tales & Discoveries

Hauntings, spectres and other supernatural tales
Si

Post by Si »

I remember Satan's Slaves, but they were based in the Shipley/Saltaire area, not Leeds, I think.

Phys1987

Post by Phys1987 »

Once got a job at a flat at darnley road, west park. These flats used to be a big house and the guy who wrote lord of the rings lived here many years ago, he was a lecturer at the uni, possibly 1920's. Many floor boards were lifted by us joiners and plumbers to see if we could find anything lol! But nothin was!Anyway back to why im writing on here. We got this job to go and renovate the flat as the guy who had lived here had died. Our main job was to dry line and damp proof a room at the back of the flat, in this room there were no damp, no leaks, nothing! So why damp proof it?A stench! A smell iv never witnessed before, Rotting flesh! We wore masks but still the stench was unbeleivably overwhelming. We stood and talked about the possibility of a decomposed body under the floor, but we checked, and nothing. In the room was a huge freezer, full of browny-red liquid.... decomposed flesh! Fumigators came and removed it, dressed in 'space' uniforms, they looked like they'd just been to the moon lol! As they carried the freezer out, the liquid was spilling out and one of them was vomiting inside his suit! What we found out afterwards had us thinking...... years ago, the guy who lived here reported his wife missing, and to this day she has never been traced or her body found! Gets ya thinking doesn't it! Who knows, could have been her in that freezer, sadly, we will never know.

Ian Atkinson

Post by Ian Atkinson »

TenDaysaLoiner wrote: I grew up in Sherburn in Elmet, on the old A1, 14 miles from Leeds.Doing some family history, recently, I came across what must be the most gruesome story I have read in my life. Put it this way - in one 1888 newspaper, the very NEXT story to this, is an account of one of the Whitechapel Murders which were happenign the very same week - and this story, from Sherburn, is more gruesome and scary than the Ripper story beneath it! Any relation to Albert Mountain VC who had the Miner's Arms at Garforth? Might be something to look into for your tree!Ian.

samson08

Post by samson08 »

Hazman wrote: Geordi wrote: cnosni wrote: Any one remember the story of a bloke wheeling round the body of someone he had murdered in a shopping trolley(i think) down near the area around Crown point bridge /Smiths arms during the early eighties i think.Seem to remember that he was stopped by the Rozzers and the bloke told him his mate was drunk and was wheeling him home!! Yeah I remember that, me and a mate was at the calls as he went by with the barrow, just thought P***heads. Until it turned up on the news. Oh yes someone I know very well and his mate stumbled across this bloke with the wheelbarrow after an innocent bystander had offered to help him.When the two 'bemused drinkers',as was reported in the paper,approached he dropped the wheelbarrow and its contents and ran off.Any how the three poor souls ended up having to answer several rounds of questions for the next several hours explaining their innocence.     Hey hazman I dont suppose your mates remember what date this happened?
samson08

Catling121

Post by Catling121 »

"About 10 years ago, there was a woman who was done in and her body dumped and set on fire at Burley Park Railway station.The bit that always scares me about it is that the killer was apparently seen on his way to dump the body, it was still fresh 'cos he'd had it refrigerated and went down Cardigen Road (or is it Lane) with it making like it was his drunk girlfriend ShockedThey never got anyone for that, though i always wondered about the dude they got for the murder of that Leanne girl a couple of years ago, i seem to remember that her body had been refridgerated after death and before dumping as well. "I feel I should enlighten you on this.The killer of this particular girl was in fact her father. He had sexually abused her 5 years previously and subsequently had been dealt a prison sentence - she had been put into care. She was also so scarred that she was schooled at a Pupil Referral Unit in order to prevent her being excluded in the mainstream system. Years later once she was out of care and living independently, her father was released. The first thing he did was go after his daughter. And that's pretty much it. I was told this by her old teacher at the PRU.

Si

Post by Si »

Catling121 wrote: "About 10 years ago, there was a woman who was done in and her body dumped and set on fire at Burley Park Railway station.The bit that always scares me about it is that the killer was apparently seen on his way to dump the body, it was still fresh 'cos he'd had it refrigerated and went down Cardigen Road (or is it Lane) with it making like it was his drunk girlfriend ShockedThey never got anyone for that, though i always wondered about the dude they got for the murder of that Leanne girl a couple of years ago, i seem to remember that her body had been refridgerated after death and before dumping as well. "I feel I should enlighten you on this.The killer of this particular girl was in fact her father. He had sexually abused her 5 years previously and subsequently had been dealt a prison sentence - she had been put into care. She was also so scarred that she was schooled at a Pupil Referral Unit in order to prevent her being excluded in the mainstream system. Years later once she was out of care and living independently, her father was released. The first thing he did was go after his daughter. And that's pretty much it. I was told this by her old teacher at the PRU. I knew the husband of the policewoman who found the burning remains. I heard she left the force and is also mentally scarred for life.

weenie

Post by weenie »

Catling121 wrote: "About 10 years ago, there was a woman who was done in and her body dumped and set on fire at Burley Park Railway station.The bit that always scares me about it is that the killer was apparently seen on his way to dump the body, it was still fresh 'cos he'd had it refrigerated and went down Cardigen Road (or is it Lane) with it making like it was his drunk girlfriend ShockedThey never got anyone for that, though i always wondered about the dude they got for the murder of that Leanne girl a couple of years ago, i seem to remember that her body had been refridgerated after death and before dumping as well. "I feel I should enlighten you on this.The killer of this particular girl was in fact her father. He had sexually abused her 5 years previously and subsequently had been dealt a prison sentence - she had been put into care. She was also so scarred that she was schooled at a Pupil Referral Unit in order to prevent her being excluded in the mainstream system. Years later once she was out of care and living independently, her father was released. The first thing he did was go after his daughter. And that's pretty much it. I was told this by her old teacher at the PRU. The Leanne girl was Leanne Tiernan a friend of mine daughters friend, they were investigating John Taylor who murdered her for the Murder of Deborah Wood's murder at Burley railway station, but evidance was ever found, for the two been linked although apparently, he still is a prime suspect for her murder.

weenie

Post by weenie »

was meant to say No evidence was found to link them ! proof read before reply weenie!!

Crazy Jane

Post by Crazy Jane »

" And that's pretty much it. I was told this by her old teacher at the PRU."Was there actually a conviction, or was that her speculation?I just googled around Deborah Wood and no news items are showing up to suggest anyone was convicted of doing her in, the only stuff is stories from 2003 speculating that Leanne's killer might have done her too.Could be they did get someone and it just wasn;t considered newsworthy...
Evil and ambition scatter in the the darkness, leaving behind dubious rumors to fly in public. To the next world, I commit thee.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Ian Atkinson wrote: TenDaysaLoiner wrote: I grew up in Sherburn in Elmet, on the old A1, 14 miles from Leeds.Doing some family history, recently, I came across what must be the most gruesome story I have read in my life. Put it this way - in one 1888 newspaper, the very NEXT story to this, is an account of one of the Whitechapel Murders which were happenign the very same week - and this story, from Sherburn, is more gruesome and scary than the Ripper story beneath it! Any relation to Albert Mountain VC who had the Miner's Arms at Garforth? Might be something to look into for your tree!Ian. Did some digging on this a while ago,as one of my work colleagues is Albert Mountains grandson.Albert VC was born in Leeds 1897 (not 1895 on wikipedia),son of a James Mountain born Farnley 1860 and Mary Ann Cowling born Ripon 1865 (possibly not her maiden name)James father was a William Mountain born Tong 1734.George,the murderer,was born Sherburn 1855,his father was a Robert Mountain born Pontefract,and his mother a Catherine Swain of Sherburn,married 1848.Given the large distance between the birth of Robert and William Mountain (Tong and Pontefract) then if therer is any degrtee of relationship between the two branches then its probably a good bit distant.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com