Wakefield spooks...

Hauntings, spectres and other supernatural tales
DaisyBell

Post by DaisyBell »

I realise this is slightly off-topic, but this forum is the nearest I can get!A few months ago I started researching a couple of haunted houses in the village where I live, and have now begun to expand my search to encompass the wider district (I’m not quite sure whether this research will find its way into a book or a website, but live in hope that I'm not just amassing it for no reason.) I’m interested in any stories, but would especially welcome any information about the following:“Grey Lady” of now-demolished Crofton Castle in Crofton (it burned down in 2004, and a housing development now stands on the site).Any stories relating to Bretton Hall (grey / white lady, demon dogs, etc)Wakefield Kirkgate StationThanks in advance, and apologies again for wandering astray :-)

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Looks lie one for "the Reverend" Steve Jones is he's about and he's almost from Wakefield
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

tyke bhoy wrote: Looks lie one for "the Reverend" Steve Jones is he's about and he's almost from Wakefield I think hes on holiday on that Scottish Island again,yu know,the one thats only accessible by light aircraft and has a visiting policeman that looks like Edward Woodward.PS,if you take all the letter "D"'s out of that name he becomes Ewar Woo war
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

DaisyBell

Post by DaisyBell »

I’ll sit tight and hope that he doesn’t run into a befrocked Christopher Lee in that case ;-)Not sure what to think about Bretton Hall. I went to university there nearly ten years ago, and for some reason never bothered with the campus ghost walk, although I gather it involved lost ratters, sealed up in the tunnels beneath the estate, where they evolved into a race of albino demon dogs with glowing eyes...All of which sounds perfectly reasonable!I know there is an Odysseus-style ballad attached to the hall, as well as another, more prosaic female spectre, although I must say that I wandered around its corridors at all hours back when I was a student and never saw anything remotely spooky, unless you count the actors ;-)As for Wakefield Kirkgate, it is meant to be haunted by the spirit of a woman in Victorian dress, but I can’t find anything more beyond a couple of brief references that all seem to have the same source...PS. I found a Wakefield Express article the other day which attributes the haunting of Bretton Hall to Diana Beaumont, the illegitimate daughter of Sir Thomas Wentworth. From what I can glean from a few tantalising snippets on googlebooks, her life was certainly tumultuous, so am looking forward to a nice bit of research this weekend to see what I can dig up...    

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

haven't been on here as much as they banned the site on my work browser!i do a weird wakefield walk sometimes which includes ghosts.Kirkgate station nad area have various grey lady ghosts or the same one.She haunts the station,a female haunts the passage that runs down from station to Kirkgate now blocked off,Wakefield Arms has a white lady and also Grey Horse.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

dwdw10dwdw

Post by dwdw10dwdw »

DaisyBell - Hey, I am doing a bit of reasearch into the stories of Bretton Hall, looking into the mysteries/Sppoky goings on - which - hopefully will lead into a family friendly October trails...any help with this please....Do you know where can see this Wakefield Express article regarding the Grey/white lady of Bretton Hall?ThanksDamon

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I used to work at the Sculpture Park at Bretton Hall back in 1989.being interested in ghosts I asked about any stories etc as well as researching the place.There is a vague White lady legend.The details of the Odysseus type legend ,together with a copy of the Ballad of Bretton Hall used to be in Wakefield local history library at Balne Lane.Bretton had it's own history archive ,but where that went when the college closed I have no idea!
Incidentally the grounds have a holy well (now signposted)and one of the stones used to build the sculpture trail back in 1989 was supposed to be an actual standing stone they moved from elsewhere on the estate(much to my disgust when I found out),although I don't know where the stone stood originally.
Last edited by Steve Jones on Fri 21 Jun, 2019 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

As the college was part of Leeds Uni when it closed I suspect, but don't know, that its collection will be at Leeds
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I too would think the archive would go to Leeds University.it also had the National Toy collection though and I doubt that went to Leeds.The other possibility is that the Sculpture Park have the archive but I haven't looked into it.

Pooka

Re: Wakefield spooks...

Post by Pooka »

Hello

Just to add something to the thread on Wakefield Kirkgate Station as the OP asked about this. I have read about the lady ghost who moves between the platforms in the underpass but sources are sketchy. But there are stories from within the building itself. I often work in the building and memebrs of staff tell me all sorts of stories about things that happen there. It's all in the old station master's house which is at the extreme right end of the building if you are facing it from in front of the station.
Staff have heard footsteps and furnature moving around above them when there is no-one else in the building and most recently a lady was on the phone and something was thrown across the room and into the wall behind her head making a loud bang which was heard on the other end of the phone - then the door on the other side of the room loudly slammed shut. There was nothing found that could have been thrown but the breeze of it flying past was felt on the back of her hair.
There are also cold spots in the building, particularly in one of the toilet blocks.