Bretton Hall

Hauntings, spectres and other supernatural tales
Kitty84

Post by Kitty84 »

Me again :-)About six years ago I was a student at Bretton Hall (not technically Leeds, but owned by the university so I thought it would scrape through) which is now sadly being redeveloped into a luxury hotel and spa...I never went on the grand tour, but did hear a few stories about the campus being haunted. Most of them fell into the Grey Lady category, but there was a particularly bizarre tale about a pack of albino demon dogs (yes, you did read that correctly) who supposedly haunted a network of tunnels beneath the sculpture park!How much of this was influenced by a certain type of mushroom growing on campus is a matter of opinion, but I'm interested to know if anyone on these forums has anything to add? I've had a poke around on the web but there doesn't seem to be much information out there...Kitty

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

Sad, I'd love to know who stays at these places. I spent a bit of my childhood running around Wentworth / Northern College. I loved the idea that working class adults were bettering themselves in a house built for the priviledged. I used to have unfettered access to the whole house, servants stairways, grand halls, grounds, the lot. Great days.
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I worked at Bretton Hall for a year for the Sculpture Park.It is indeed supposed to be haunted by a white (not grey lady) although as stated it is hard to get any information.However Bretton Hall has other claims to fame.it has its own ballad as supposedly a former lord went missing for years and returned only to find his wife about to remarry assuming him dead.He was thought to be a tramp until his dog recognised him and his wife recognised his ring.Obviously inspired by the odysseus story ,a copy of this rare ballad used to be in Wakefield local history collection.There is also a holy well in the park near the lake which was renovated by one of the Wentworth family.The turning down to the Hall past Home Farm etc was supposed to be haunted by a phantom motorcyclist who crashed there, so I was informed when I worked at the Sculpture Park back in 1989.    
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!