Cross Green Graves?

Hauntings, spectres and other supernatural tales
liits

Post by liits »

The building was the Engineering Industry Training Board [EITB] Training Centre and was built in the early 70's. The building itself is almst "as built", the exception being the white structure pointing in a north-west direction.The whole of the area to the rear of the building [as looked at from Gross Green Approach] was waste land up to the boundary with Cross Green School playing field. It was always head high with -I think- rosebay willow herb and clouds of fluff would blow off of it in summer.One particular summer it was cleared by two guys with great big strimmers and the remainder burned off like stubble. A large, lumpy open space, covered in broken bottles and tin cans was left.This was all done because LCC complained about the apprentices from Cattons and the EITB trainees playing football on the pitch without booking and paying for it. About a week after we were banned from playing, those nice people with chickens, horses and caravans moved onto the pitch and the EITB chief instructor thought that if we were kept inside the compound, we could play football to out heats content and not sneak off to the Bridgefield. I don't remember any gravestones of any discription sticking out of the rough ground and looking at the area has been laid out to car park and lawn, I'd guess that it's some kind of BBQ setup.

LeeJ

Post by LeeJ »

passed again this morning, couldn't stop but had a good look - definatly gravestone shapes, old stone, mouldy/mossy. You can get to them as I saw a young fellow walking into work (the stainless steel place) and he walked straight along passed them - so someone must know something about them. No response from the stainless steel company yet though, these stones are in their grounds.glad I spotted them now.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

LeeJ wrote: passed again this morning, couldn't stop but had a good look - definatly gravestone shapes, old stone, mouldy/mossy. You can get to them as I saw a young fellow walking into work (the stainless steel place) and he walked straight along passed them - so someone must know something about them. No response from the stainless steel company yet though, these stones are in their grounds.glad I spotted them now. Liits is to me the closest.I detoured to see them and they are in the grounds of ASC on a deliberately recently (when ASC was built) landscaped circle.They are nothing like gravestones close up and are 3 square "standing stones" of waste sandstone one clearly having being sawn down at the quarry for a lintel or corner stone or whatever. No inscriptions.Around them are three stone benches and they are to me just a "feature" of an outdoor rest area, nice to have a smoke in or to eat your sarnies at dinnertime. Designed entirely for the delight of ASC workers.But thanks LeeJ for your sharpe eyes for as often as a feature may ne nothing much it also can be a window to the past and it was well worth a look.The last gravestones in the middle of nowhere thread on here were to 3 or 4 in Czar Street Holbeck commemorating certain deceased persons of Wortley!!!

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

In time, no doubt, we'll decide they have ritual significance.

LeeJ

Post by LeeJ »

BOOM!there goes me dreams. thanks for sorting that though, shame it didn't come to anything, sorry for a wasted effort. oh well

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

LeeJ wrote: BOOM!there goes me dreams. thanks for sorting that though, shame it didn't come to anything, sorry for a wasted effort. oh well Never wasted effort LeeJ - you never know what will come of things but, things aint always what they seem!!!!Many a good thread has come from a chance sighting and mention, really that' how the Skulls started - 97 pages ago well done, keep looking.

Si

Post by Si »

chameleon wrote: LeeJ wrote: BOOM!there goes me dreams. thanks for sorting that though, shame it didn't come to anything, sorry for a wasted effort. oh well Never wasted effort LeeJ - you never know what will come of things but, things aint always what they seem!!!!Many a good thread has come from a chance sighting and mention, really that' how the Skulls started - 97 pages ago well done, keep looking. Chameleon's right. See also the Woodhall Lane Mystery Stone thread for what was summat-and-nowt. We got to the bottom of it in the end.
Attachments
__TFMF_gvcnix454qgglw55n3clkrna_0cab6da4-3a92-4684-bf3f-cdf6d4284548_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_gvcnix454qgglw55n3clkrna_0cab6da4-3a92-4684-bf3f-cdf6d4284548_0_main.jpg (466.59 KiB) Viewed 2964 times

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

LeeJ wrote: BOOM!there goes me dreams. thanks for sorting that though, shame it didn't come to anything, sorry for a wasted effort. oh well Not wasted at all. Great fun trying to sort out what odd things we all come across are.Keep them coming please Lee, otherwise there'll be nowt to do but stay in and watch the X-factor.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

The Parksider wrote: LeeJ wrote: BOOM!there goes me dreams. thanks for sorting that though, shame it didn't come to anything, sorry for a wasted effort. oh well Not wasted at all. Great fun trying to sort out what odd things we all come across are.Keep them coming please Lee, otherwise there'll be nowt to do but stay in and watch the X-factor. X factor - brings on the Rage effect...

LeeJ

Post by LeeJ »

X factor? righto, I'll go spotting for some other things - dont want to end up with me ar$e glued to the couch watching that cr&p.