An odd experience in Temple Newsam Park

Hauntings, spectres and other supernatural tales
Telstar

Post by Telstar »

Hi. I haven't been on this site for a while, but I was interested to read about other people's experiences in Temple Newsam Park.My brother & myself could not get away from that avenue of trees quickly enough, we turned to go back to Halton.As you probably realise, lamps do not blow without a good reason, especially if they were new, and had just been working from switch on. In this case quite a few amps of current must have passed through both lamp filaments to blow them. I wonder if it was something like an "electric field" that we passed through ?I wonder if something sinister happened along this avenue of trees, many centuries ago, to have caused these events on this thread ?I was interested to hear about the "coat tugging" experience that the replier to my experience had. This must confirm the existance of something there !I have spoken to some of the staff at the house and the stable block about the event, but they had not heard of anything like that
mh

Tosh

Post by Tosh »

HI Very interesting reports on Templenewsam i've posted something on this before .I'v had a few ghostly experiences but never had any car troubles even tho i'v driven through there hundreds of times at different times of day and night as i live very local . I once experienced a sighting of two women sat on a bench at the top of the hill approaching the house both dressed in medieval costume i was on my own in a van and sh*t myself thank god the van kept going , also seen a spinning like vortex ( 4 of us saw that many years ago only kids at the time ) . I,v often felt drawn to the place and a couple of times walk home through the park and foxies wood on my own a bit mad really but after a couple of shandies seems like a good idea untill you get to the middle of the wood and carnt see your hand in front of your face quite sobbering tho . Would love to meet up with anybody who fancies a strole around , look a bit suspect on your own or meet up at any other sites , leave a message hear if any one fancies it .Gonna try LEEDS LASSES face book watch the vid cheers

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

I once broke down at Temple Newsam car park but it was down to a dodgy alternator wheel, not ghostly interfereance.
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

nosirrah

Post by nosirrah »

Yes the water feature was as shown on the veiw with the red cross. It was deemed unsafe after it fell into disrepair and became a dumping ground for stolen motor bikes.Many years ago when I was in my last year of primary school my class visited Temple newsam, my friend Paul and I was keenly keeping a look out for the blue lady that we'd heard so much about.During our visit we was disappointed that we hadn't met the spectre, though I expect we would have still been running away to this day if we had.In one of the bedrooms we were both quite taken by the very realistic mannequin which had of course been dressed in a blue dress, she, or rather it was laid on a sofa and was staring straight out in our direction.After we came out of the house we commented on the "dummy" as we would have called it then to our teacher, Mr Foster, who seemed oblivious to this "dummy". He asked us where we had seen it and after we tried to explain he told us he had seen nothing.I think Mr Foster was a bit of a ghost fan because he vanished back in the house to ask and returned with a man who worked in Temple newsam. We again explained what we had seen and where we had seen only to be told they have no mannequins.

Firecracker

Post by Firecracker »

This is very strange as I can also say that I have had car trouble in this same avenue. I thought my tyre might be flat or something as the car seemed to be pulling to one side (left driving away from house). At first I put it down to the lay of the road but my steering felt a bit funny. I had kids in the car so thought it best to pull over. I checked the tyres and everything felt fine, I got back in expecting to have to call AA to sort steering out but once I started driving it was fine.My step dad used to be a security guard at the house years back and said they had some very strange experiences in the house. He said they didn’t like to do the rounds on their own, but been a 6ft 7 inch bloke would never have wanted to admit it lol.

SKE

Post by SKE »

This is great reading! I live a couple of miles away and have been up there on an evening around dusk a few times - nothing unusual yet though. I want to see or experience something but I am sure if I do, I will be [edited for content] myself (hopefully not literally). Way back in this thread someone mentioned a basement area in a house on/near Selby Road and how there were holding cells. We have put our house up for sale and the estate agent wouldn't go into our cellar as cellars freak her out (not her words exactly but somethgn to that effect). Anyway, she mentioned this cellar, with the jail cells and said it had a passageway right to the house.    

Bruno

Post by Bruno »

My great-uncle and his family lived in one of the old cottages on Colton Road at its junction with Selby Road (by Whitkirk Church) in the 1970s. It was the cottage to the left of the archway; the yard behind wasn't their garden though, it was used by two businesses, a dairyman and a plasterer, as far as I can remember.Anyway, he always used to claim that there was a tunnel from the cellar there (bricked up at some unspecified distance from its entrance) which was supposed to run all the way to Templenewsam House, however I never went down there so I cannot say whether there was any truth in it or not.
The older I get, the better I was.

Bluemax

Post by Bluemax »

Just a couple of points for anyone interested or wanting to visit this area on a night time.The area where their seems to be alot of activitiy is on the avenue that runs from Bullerthorpe Lane towards the house, on the avenue there is a lake which is crossed by a bridge, if you are standing on the bridge looking at the house, look to your left, approximately 250m was the old ice house, the woods on this side is where you will encounter activity.It is said that a young maid was sent from the main house to the ice house to collect ice, on her way there she was attacked and murdered on a path just near to the spot where the ice house was, this maid was draped in light blue maids dress, thick heavy woollen material, this is, what i believe to be the "Blue Lady"There are still tunnels in and around the house, the longest tunnel ( i know of ) runs to the farm buildings. This is now bricked up however the outlines of the entrance in the main farm building are still there, look for the outline of bricks with the concrete in fill. 40 years ago I was taken down into the cellars with my uncle who was maintining the then heating system and I saw the door way that led to the tunnel, we actually had to check piping in that area of the house and i remeber looking through various doors in that area of the cellar, i seem to remember peering into a very narrow stairway that led from the cellar to a lower cellar although we did not enter.One word of warning, if you do decide to visit this area on a dark night, please be aware of others who frequent the area for various reasons and mostly not legal reason, stay safe.Blue Max