Haunted places in Leeds

Hauntings, spectres and other supernatural tales
JanCee

Post by JanCee »

I saw - well I hesitate to call it a ghost - something at our youth club. It was Middleton Hall 'Miggy Hall' as we knew it at the edge of East End Park near Ivy Street.The unused upstairs was reputed to be haunted so we all trooped up there one night and held hands in the dark. The youth leader sat in the 'haunted chair', a wooden chair with a cross cut out of the back panel. After about five minutes everyone had started joking about and making 'Wooo' noises, but then Dave started to breathe very heavily. It was a freezing night and we could see his breath in the air thanks to the moonlight outside. He started tearing at his collar as if he couldn't breathe and fell to the floor. Someone switched the light on and everyone rushed to try and help him. He came round quite quickly but couldn't remember what had happened. We didn't go upstairs after that.

simonm

Post by simonm »

I was the manager of the Albion pub, on Armley road for a few years and, not suprisingly, it appears to be haunted. Locals claimed to have seen / heard things over the years, but was all taken with a large pinch of salt!! However, one night, whilst working in the cellar, long after the pub had shut, I heard a loud bang from the cold celler (celler was huge and divided into two areas, divided with a sliding door). When I slid open the door, into the cold storage section, a full barrel had, somehow, gone over on it's side, rolled across the floor of the celler, over a drain culvert and stood up again on the other side of the celler. To this day I have never been able to work out how such a heavy object could manage that. Loads of other things I witnessed as well!!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

franwick

Post by franwick »

Interesting to see miggy hall mentioned there. I also used to go to that youth club many moons ago. In fact i was down that way a few weeks ago taking pictures and was very surprised to see the ruins of some very old building - could have been miggy hall - i couldn`t remember the exact location. Creepy though. Miggy hall was - well - to put it mildly - a bit of a scary place wasn`t it ?Great to hear all these stories firsthand - keep em comin !Love the one about the palace pub ! Makes you want to get in there !( and just when you think you`re the only one with an eerie story to tell and you`re afraid everyone would think you`re a bit mad if you told them about it eh....? )
fran

the wicked twitch

Post by the wicked twitch »

When I was studying I worked part time in a pub called 'The Bridge' at the end of call lane. The staff there all talked about sightings of someone in a couple of the spare rooms on the 1st floor and strange things that would happen in the cellar while they were changing barrells.I never saw whoever it was upstairs but it did feel very eery up there. As for the cellar, I was witness to crates and barrels being tipped over by something but with vibrations from loud music in the bar maybe this can be explained away???I like to believe in the supernatural side of things though!
The Wicked Twitch of the West

the wicked twitch

While I'm on a roll I thought I would continue with more pub/club tales of the supernatural...A few years ago I was the manager of the Warehouse Night Club on Somers St and let me tell you it is not the place to be after closing time.In regular locking up tradition, all the staff would hang around for a drink when we had finshed cleaning and the noises that came fom the upstairs bar after lights out were unbelievable. Bangs, clangs and rattles as if someone was throwing things about, but on inspection?...that's right...no one is there and the bar seems undisturbed. Now this is 5 and 6 o'clock in the morning aswell so cannot be explained away by anything going on outside or adjacent buildings. Anyone who has been to the club will know it is pretty desserted around there at this time on the weekend.Anyway, it really creaped me out, especially after stories of how the place used to a be morgue. Don't know how much truth there is in that one but apparantly there is a secret room in the cellar where bodies were chilled.

the wicked twitch

franwick

Post by franwick »

I would love to get into the cellars under the grand theatre - WOW !! I would be scared stiff like - but what an experience !I think leeds holds a lot of spirits/ghosts/ghouls from the past, and just this site on it`s own is plenty of proof of that. Trouble is, you don`t like telling people about an experience you`ve had, or an experience a friend or relative has had, as you think they either won`t believe you or they`ll think you`re stark staring mad ! I have had quite a few experiences myself, but my mother - christ she could have written a book ! There always seemed to be something unearthly happening to her - like they followed her everywhere she went - and the way she told the tales she`d have your hair stood on end ! I never dared go to the bathroom in her house when i visited her - she had me a nervous wreck watching every corner ! Maybe certain people draw ghosts to them, wherever they are, for some reason..?
fran

simonm

Post by simonm »

FAO, Wicked witch. I have tried to reason the vibration theory as well, however, the pub was closed so no vibration from heavy music. Also, it would have taken massive vibration from passing vehicles, which I felt nothing, bearing in mind although in another part of the cellar was only about 30 feet away! My dog used to stand at the top of the celler and growl real nasty at the door when no one was there?? so many instances of "other things" as well. Although nothing nasty ever happened!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

Leeds Lass wrote: I remember when they were building the Bond Street Centre, back in the 70's, several contractors reported a spectre haunting the site. Lots of things had occurred to several of them and they were getting spooked, so they went to the Evening Post about it. There was a very unnerving sketch on the front page, of this apparition, who looked a little like David Bowie, if I remember right. I don't know what came of it all, it would be interesting to know, as they appealed for help at the time in finding out who this ghost was. I have seen the apparition at Tempy, back in the late 70's/early 80's.I was all set to write a book on haunted Leeds a few years ago and was in the papers, asking for people to write in with their stories. Unfortunately, the majority of letters I got were for UFO sightings, which, although I am slightly interested in, that wasn't what I wanted the book to be about. It was a shame, as I did a few interviews and some hefty research, but sadly it fizzled out. i remember that,i think it was decided it was the ghost of a very tall man whose grave had been disturbed in mill hill chapel yard.seem to remember he wore a top hat?
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

franwick

Post by franwick »

You could start the book now....? All these people on here obviously love this sort of stuff and would be happy to give you the info you need i`m sure. That would be some book !!
fran