Haunted places in Leeds

Hauntings, spectres and other supernatural tales
Letty

Post by Letty »

I've heard of roman soldiers walking on some roman road somewhere, they appear to be walking on their knees but are actually walking on the old road surface which is noe a couple of feet down. Could be rubbish of course having not seen it myself. Heard about the kirkstall abbey one. but i'm a sceptic myself so if I see one i'll probably be frozen with fear.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

As bagpuss will be able to verify from the haunted Leeds book the Palace pub is reputedly haunted by a lady in grey (possibly a man in drag) There is also an underground passageway to the river that was built by the wealthy timber merchant/boat builder to access his boat yard on the river without trampling all over his landscaped garden. On this picture behind the boat you can clearly see the bricked up entrance of what i reckon is the exit point. I thought it would be prone to flooding but you can see the alteration in stone & brickwork behind & how the place would have been a dry dock area years ago. There's a good drink in it for the first person to go in the palace & persuade the landlord that knocking a big hole in his cellar wall is a good idea..
Attachments
passage.jpg
passage.jpg (12.41 KiB) Viewed 6243 times
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

Phaze - The apparition I saw was a female, up in one of the windows in the courtyard. She looked like she was made from grey/blue cig smoke. She was looking directly at me and had a sad look about her. Then she disintigrated like a breath of wind had dispersed the smoke... I was about 8 at the time, the house was shut for the night. It was a summer evening, lateish on but still light. I had no idea at that age about the rumours. But when I got home and told my mum, she went a bit white!! I only mentioned it to her cos it seemed so odd. She had a dress on with a high lace collar which in the late 70's was out of place.I'd say Leeds is quite haunted, if you know where to go! Had plenty of correspondence about hauntings while researching my book, but not enough to make a book out of unfortunately!Phill - Thanks for that, will have to be getting me a copy of that!!Letty - The haunting you are talking of is in the cellar of the Roman Bath pub in York. A battallion of Roman soldiers passes through every so often, walking on the original road, about 2ft under the newer one! The pub does have a bit of a strange atmosphere. Went to see a band that used to play in the Roscoe there. (Oh, mi lush roots are surfacing again!!!) lol ;-)Loinerpete - LOL at the dead cobbler comment, you were right, he or they did look like that!!! Everyone else - Excellent tales! Keep this thread going, I love this stuff!!! When I have the time, I'll recount a nasty experience I had driving down Horsforth to Rodley ring road. . . I'd like to see if people have experienced anything similar. I know one person that has.

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

hi alljust creating a new hauntings forum in the main Secret Leeds area - will move these threads over in the next day or two.cheersdsco
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

bigpants

Post by bigpants »

many years ago when i was nowt but a lad, myself and a young lady found ourselves at lotherton Hall enjoying the evening air as it were. We were in the car parked at the top of the front field near the main road looking back down the hill towards the stables buildings. It was just falling dusk and there were a few other cars about. I was watching a guy running up the hill towards us, probably about 300 yards away, he was chasing a dog. the best i can say is that after a few seconds he just wasnt there anymore, and neither was the dog. No flash, no puff of smoke he just wasnt there. he had been running across open ground with nothing to dissappear behind or into. I turned to the now very pale looking young lady and we both said "did you see that" at excatly the same time. Worst thing was having to drive right past the point where hed vanished in order to get out. still makes by blood run cold nearly 20 years later.

phaze

Post by phaze »

Leeds las, I think you should definilty write a book on it! I have never myself ever encountered anything like that, Ill be honest, im a guy that wouldnt be able to deal with it lol, I think id lose my mind . I often go running around Roundhay Park, so Im keeping an eye out for Hill 60, 90 etc lol. Bigpants, I guess its pretty mental to think, that you could have actually seen a ghost. I guess it dis-oriantates your own-personal thinking.Good stuff

gothic

Post by gothic »

the old school on fawcett lane wortley has a ghost. i saw it twice. the first time was during a fire the school had (electrical fault) and the second time was in the toilet. that one was the strangest becuse the man dressed in 18th century clothing walked through the wall. I told the teacher what i saw and he said that wall wasn't there when the house was built it was done when it was first opened as a school. The teacher told me that his dog did'nt like going into that area of the school. werid or what!
Into the sky we win or we die!

Troll

Post by Troll »

Hi,another haunting at Kirkstall Abbey is at the former gate-house, now the abbey museum.The ghost supposedly walks the rooms of the building and is an old Abbot.I have also heard of hauntings at the medical museum, St James Hospital.Is it true this area may at one time have been a workhouse? I do seem to remember an elderly relative being a patient in this building, some time ago.I have been to both these museums a number of times, but not knowingly experienced anything supernatural.Nevertheless both interesting places.
Go the Rhinos.

riotscar

Post by riotscar »

Hello all Wow, as a teacher of History and a Leeds history obsessive I think this website is amazing!I also have quite an interest in the paranormal aspect of Leeds so thought I'd add my 'ghost' story........My family are all from Holbeck which is a very old area of Leeds and has quite a chequered history itself. My dad tells me the tale of when my grandad was a young boy he lived in an old Holbeck house with his parents and many brothers and sisters. One night he'd been sent to bed and was making his way upstairs when he stopped on the stairs to see a little girl in Victorian clothing walking backwards and forwards on the landing in a mraching style. She was wearing what looked like smart Sunday school type clothing.Obviously being so young he was a little confused and didn't realise this could be a spirit so returned downstairs to tell the rest of the family that 'a little girl was walking around upstairs', his step father went to looka nd also saw the little girl who was completely oblivious to anyone else! Bless her......After that I'm unsure of what happened next......The story does make some sense though as the house was near an old Victorian church where local families would have attended church services back in the day.I'm unsure of the exact location, think it was somewhere near top moor side? Mint Moor if that makes any sense?!****** stop press ******After just speaking to my dad he's reminded me that the little girl was a Catholic girl and apparently she was recreating the Catholic Sunday marches that they used to take part in around there.My grandad actually knew the girl in life and remembered when she died so whether it sleepiness, mind playing tricks or the paranormal I don't know.Hope people find this interesting

mourning_belle

Post by mourning_belle »

The brudenell social club - the ladies toilet has freaked me out on several occasions seeing some girl behind me in the mirror who vanishes, i try not to go in alone nowadays but she still appears even if theres other people there.