Haunted places in Leeds

Hauntings, spectres and other supernatural tales
franwick

Post by franwick »

LEEDS LASS - I would LOVE to hear about some of the stuff you`ve seen in your living room - and i`m sure the others would. I keep checking but you`re not back yet....The quarry hill ghost is interesting - and more so because the playhouse is in that area now - for some reason, places like that tend to 'draw' spirits don`t they ? May be all the activity.....?
fran

Festwerfer

Post by Festwerfer »

The Quarry Hill one interests me as well. I spoke to my Aunt last night who lived in the flats as a child during the war and she has no recollection of any Ghost. I'm inclined to think maybe its a leg pull because the name when posted on Google just comes up with Aussie stuff.    

Festwerfer

Post by Festwerfer »

Go to http://www.leedshaunts.co.uk/ for the full story on the Bond Street ghost.

franwick

Post by franwick »

Brilliant site - i was amazed to see donisthorpe hall on shadwell lane mentioned there. That is weird because i used to work there, and although it is a fairly new and modern building, it is creepy in parts. I remember the guy who had the job of walking around the grounds at night, with his torch, always used to say he felt uneasy, even if he had someone with him. Just shows it`s not always the old buildings..
fran

LS1

Post by LS1 »

franwick wrote: Brilliant site - i was amazed to see donisthorpe hall on shadwell lane mentioned there. That is weird because i used to work there, and although it is a fairly new and modern building, it is creepy in parts. I remember the guy who had the job of walking around the grounds at night, with his torch, always used to say he felt uneasy, even if he had someone with him. Just shows it`s not always the old buildings.. Franwick, in relation to you last message. Strange that a Rabbi would be there haunting as certainly Jewish burials would be no where near the OAP home and. I have always wondered about Holly Bank the house previously on the site as mentioned on old maps. There is nothing I can find out about it, IE who lived there etc. May have a look at the electoral register for some clues though. Unless the Rabbi was worried that unconsecrated remains would be on the site of a synogogue!!

franwick

Post by franwick »

On the site mentioned it says the home was a synagogue before it was an old people`s home - could burials have taken place then..?Maybe the rabbi has nothing to do with the bones etc found there - and is showing himself for another reason altogether..? I must admit, i don`t know anything at all about jewish burials, but i do know that donisthorpe has it`s own mortuary downstairs. I`ve never been in it but - understandably - not a very nice place. Everyone would be on edge when a body was taken down there, which was a regular thing, it being an old folk`s home. When i went for my interview at donisthorpe i was asked if i would mind helping to clean the mortuary from time to time. I said no i wouldn`t mind at all. AFTER i got the job and i had been working there for some time, my manager asked me would i go down there and help out. I looked at him with my eyes on stalks. He said you said you wouldn`t mind helping out down there, it wouldn`t bother you..I said yeh well that was BEFORE i got the job - i`m here now - bloody no chance !It was funny at the time - he had to go down and help out himself - his face was a picture because there was a body down there at the time..I too will search out info on holly bank - see if i can find anything - you never know. While we are on the subject of shadwell - does anybody know any history on the woods on shadwell lane ? Apparently there were 2 children murdered in them years ago and their spirits linger there..
fran

LS1

Post by LS1 »

franwick wrote: On the site mentioned it says the home was a synagogue before it was an old people`s home - could burials have taken place then..?Maybe the rabbi has nothing to do with the bones etc found there - and is showing himself for another reason altogether..? I must admit, i don`t know anything at all about jewish burials, but i do know that donisthorpe has it`s own mortuary downstairs. I`ve never been in it but - understandably - not a very nice place. Everyone would be on edge when a body was taken down there, which was a regular thing, it being an old folk`s home. When i went for my interview at donisthorpe i was asked if i would mind helping to clean the mortuary from time to time. I said no i wouldn`t mind at all. AFTER i got the job and i had been working there for some time, my manager asked me would i go down there and help out. I looked at him with my eyes on stalks. He said you said you wouldn`t mind helping out down there, it wouldn`t bother you..I said yeh well that was BEFORE i got the job - i`m here now - bloody no chance !It was funny at the time - he had to go down and help out himself - his face was a picture because there was a body down there at the time..I too will search out info on holly bank - see if i can find anything - you never know. While we are on the subject of shadwell - does anybody know any history on the woods on shadwell lane ? Apparently there were 2 children murdered in them years ago and their spirits linger there.. Don't think there wasa synogogue there, but there was one further up Shawell Lane towards Moortown that was once a church I think. If you notice none otht epresent synogogues have burial grounds next to them. They are all on the other side of the city manily due to the fact they have to be buried outside the city limits (which this once was over at Farnley!!) I had heard that the woods on Shadwell lane are haunted by the blue lady, but I know nothing mroe thant that. She sometimes comes onto Shadwell Lane near the Darkwoods (ominously named!!). Not heard any more though. Woudl love to hear if you find more information about Holly Bank

Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

Hello Franwick! Sorry, been busy studying for my Diploma in Hypnotherapy, so not logged on today!Right, my living room. . . firstly, I recently had to move the mirror from my chimney breast, as I could see all kinds of faces through it while I was trying to watch tv. Some of them not very nice either! And I have also seen a lot of shadows of full size people flitting across the room lately. Even casting shadows from my lamps, as if people are walking in front of them! I have an extraordinary tale from something that happened in the early hours of this morning. . . but am hesitant to mention it here, in case I'm deemed more of a fruit loop than I already am!!! lol

Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

Ooh, I have just remembered a tale I was told a few years ago, by a then work colleague. If you have noticed, on the stretch between the two roundabouts from the White Rose Centre to Morley, there are fields on the left? Well, my friends son was walking across them around midnight one night, when he noticed a woman, stood in the middle of the field, wearing a white, full length, flowing cotton dress. He became a bit freaked out as he approached her, as she was just stood staring at him. She put her hand up to stop him and asked what he was doing out so late. He said he'd been to a friends in Morley and was heading home. She told him to go straight home, as it wasn't safe out in these fields at night. He broke into a run, away from her, got 100 yds or so, looked back and guess what? Yep, you got it, she'd vanished into thin air! There was nowhere she could have gone so quick. He said her dress was so white, it almost glowed. He was in a proper state when he got home; his mum was really shocked, as he wasn't the sort of lad that frightened easy - I know, I've met him!!! (More your 'hang round in a gang, intimidating type' if you get my drift??!! Typical 'hoodie'!!!) He never strayed into those fields in the dark after that!!!

LS1

Post by LS1 »

I was in Central Library last night, and I swear that there was somone behind me. It was 7.45 and nearly everone had gone. I took a book off the shelf, and went to the window in the local studies section that looks over calverley street to read it and get some light. All the staff were in the main section, and as I looked down I caught the image of a mans black shoe out of the corner of my eye, and felt my jacket move with a slight breeze as if someone was walking past.... But there was no-one there. I walked out of the alcove and still there was no-one about this section. Strange!