Haunted places in Leeds

Hauntings, spectres and other supernatural tales
the wicked twitch

Post by the wicked twitch »

While I'm on a roll I thought I would continue with more pub/club tales of the supernatural...A few years ago I was the manager of the Warehouse Night Club on Somers St and let me tell you it is not the place to be after closing time.In regular locking up tradition, all the staff would hang around for a drink when we had finshed cleaning and the noises that came fom the upstairs bar after lights out were unbelievable. Bangs, clangs and rattles as if someone was throwing things about, but on inspection?...that's right...no one is there and the bar seems undisturbed. Now this is 5 and 6 o'clock in the morning aswell so cannot be explained away by anything going on outside or adjacent buildings. Anyone who has been to the club will know it is pretty desserted around there at this time on the weekend.Anyway, it really creaped me out, especially after stories of how the place used to a be morgue. Don't know how much truth there is in that one but apparantly there is a secret room in the cellar where bodies were chilled.
The Wicked Twitch of the West

the wicked twitch

Post by the wicked twitch »

The Wicked Twitch of the West

franwick

Post by franwick »

I would love to get into the cellars under the grand theatre - WOW !! I would be scared stiff like - but what an experience !I think leeds holds a lot of spirits/ghosts/ghouls from the past, and just this site on it`s own is plenty of proof of that. Trouble is, you don`t like telling people about an experience you`ve had, or an experience a friend or relative has had, as you think they either won`t believe you or they`ll think you`re stark staring mad ! I have had quite a few experiences myself, but my mother - christ she could have written a book ! There always seemed to be something unearthly happening to her - like they followed her everywhere she went - and the way she told the tales she`d have your hair stood on end ! I never dared go to the bathroom in her house when i visited her - she had me a nervous wreck watching every corner ! Maybe certain people draw ghosts to them, wherever they are, for some reason..?
fran

simonm

Post by simonm »

FAO, Wicked witch. I have tried to reason the vibration theory as well, however, the pub was closed so no vibration from heavy music. Also, it would have taken massive vibration from passing vehicles, which I felt nothing, bearing in mind although in another part of the cellar was only about 30 feet away! My dog used to stand at the top of the celler and growl real nasty at the door when no one was there?? so many instances of "other things" as well. Although nothing nasty ever happened!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

Leeds Lass wrote: I remember when they were building the Bond Street Centre, back in the 70's, several contractors reported a spectre haunting the site. Lots of things had occurred to several of them and they were getting spooked, so they went to the Evening Post about it. There was a very unnerving sketch on the front page, of this apparition, who looked a little like David Bowie, if I remember right. I don't know what came of it all, it would be interesting to know, as they appealed for help at the time in finding out who this ghost was. I have seen the apparition at Tempy, back in the late 70's/early 80's.I was all set to write a book on haunted Leeds a few years ago and was in the papers, asking for people to write in with their stories. Unfortunately, the majority of letters I got were for UFO sightings, which, although I am slightly interested in, that wasn't what I wanted the book to be about. It was a shame, as I did a few interviews and some hefty research, but sadly it fizzled out. i remember that,i think it was decided it was the ghost of a very tall man whose grave had been disturbed in mill hill chapel yard.seem to remember he wore a top hat?
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

franwick

Post by franwick »

You could start the book now....? All these people on here obviously love this sort of stuff and would be happy to give you the info you need i`m sure. That would be some book !!
fran

Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

Yeah you're right Franwick!!! I could dust of my pencil and get cracking!! I didn't realise we were all so into spooks!! My living room could be the starting point, I keep seeing allsorts in here!!! ( Actually might just be a by-product of my re-starting my psychic development!!! ;-))Yes Wiggy, I think it was some grave they'd disturbed and I remember them saying he was very tall!

franwick

Post by franwick »

TELL US ABOUT YOUR LIVING ROOM !!!!!! WHOOOOO !! SOUNDS INTERESTING....
fran

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

ok spook hunters,just found another ghost .this one is the ghost of Adelaide North,who lived and died on quarry hill.just read that she would often scare the home guard,that were stationed there during the war.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

Loinerpete wrote: I remember the bond street ghost story, i think the workers came across an 18th century cobbler, he had a pony tail, the sketch did resemble the great David Bowie, but lets face it, there was a point in the mid 70`s when david himself resembled a dead cobbler. Glad to say he looks like Mr potts today. you are correct young sir,i just read a piece from an old yep,he was indeed a cobbler,his name is thought to be james wood,buried in mill hill around 1800,and on reading both yours and thier description,it sounds like the ghost that my mates mam(mrs fitzhugh) told me she had seen,many many years ago.