William Rowland Ding... info for arry awk

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Festwerfer

Post by Festwerfer »

Little more info for you arry thought I would start a new thread leave the bogs alone lol.http://www.bbc.co.uk/northyorkshire/con ... lery.shtml

Si

Post by Si »

This plane must be from the days before rivets when aircraft where built by seamstresses!!!

Festwerfer

Post by Festwerfer »

Most fabric covered aircraft are covered by Irish linen.It is still used today by aircraft restorers the world over it is covered and the painted with dope wich dries and stretches the fabric taught over the framing. It isn't that different from the way they do it today only carbon fibre has replaced fabric. Most aircraft were fabric covered up till the advent of high performance fighters like the Spitfireand BF109 and bombers like the Lancaster and B17. That isnt to say it stopped altogether but the advantages in strength and ease of manufacture helped to bring the all metal aircraft to the fore.

Si

Post by Si »

Hi Festwerfer,I'm guessing you're an IPMS member?

Festwerfer

Post by Festwerfer »

How do you arrive at that conclusion and what do you know of IPMS good sir. As it happens yes I am do we know each other?? Are you one of the great and good of our happy band??

Si

Post by Si »

You mentioned something about looking for a new club venue in another thread a while ago.....oh, and the aircraft knowledge gave it away!I was a member about 10 years ago (mainly AFVs), in Ossett. Ring any bells?    

Festwerfer

Post by Festwerfer »

Ah I forgot about that post hehehe. I've been wondering all afternoon.I thought you were Columbo or something "all the aircraft society's and he hits on IPMS" I thought. Yea I know the Osset boys Mike and Henry etc. Do you plan to go to the Huddersfield show if so it would be nice to put a face to a name I'm a member of the West Riding branch in case you wondered. By the way we found a new venue we have our first meeting tomorrow at the Roscoe of Regent street it pretty much ticks all the boxes so lets hope its a success.    

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Hi Festwerfer (Rough translation-'Party thrower'?when's the next one mate?).Sorry! Many thanks for the Ding download pix! Haven't had timeto browse 'em properly yet but will get there! PC been a bit naughty and extremely slow. Thought it was Secret Leeds Forumhaving a kip at first But my broadband filter went U/s on me andI have changed it when I sussed out the trubs! Whew.Still catching up and more threads appearing! eeek!Keep up the good work Festy lad!CheersArry

Si

Post by Si »

Festwerfer wrote: Ah I forgot about that post hehehe. I've been wondering all afternoon.I thought you were Columbo or something "all the aircraft society's and he hits on IPMS" I thought. Yea I know the Osset boys Mike and Henry etc. Do you plan to go to the Huddersfield show if so it would be nice to put a face to a name I'm a member of the West Riding branch in case you wondered. By the way we found a new venue we have our first meeting tomorrow at the Roscoe of Regent street it pretty much ticks all the boxes so lets hope its a success.     Yeah, I remember Henry (and his helicopters!) et al, but I haven't been for years. When is the Huddersfield Show? I used to go to that, too.Is your club all aircraft, or are there AFVs, an'all? Good luck at the Roscoe!Oh, and just one more thing, sir.......!

Festwerfer

Post by Festwerfer »

Yea Henry has moved to New Zealand now still get the odd email from him now and again. Na we aint all aircraft we have one or two target builders LOL. As for Huddy....February 17th ~ IPMS Wakefield present Huddersfield 2008 to be held at the Huddersfield Sports Centre, Southgate, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire HD1 1TWInformation ~ IPMS WakefieldContact ~ Huddersfieldshow@aol.com